Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

325,000 miles on 08 Prius, brake, ABS, VSC dash lights are on

arkieram

My 08 Prius has served me well for 325,000 miles. Brake, ABS, VSC dash lights are now on. Mechanic said repairs will be over $3,000 for new brake pump or accuator. Thing is, the car is only worth $1K on trade if I'm lucky. Still runs great, big Battery has been changed at 250,000 miles, well maintained and still braking good. How long can you drive with all these lights on without complete brake failure? Trying to hang on until May of 2022 to buy a new rig. I'm concerned that while driving with these lights on, I might have complete brake failure. Here's my question: Will I began to notice slight brake failure or barking noises or any other dash lights coming on before the brakes completely fail? In other words can I be driving and all of a sudden, lose all braking ability without any further warning? Thank you!

Hi, 

straight answer: do not drive your car with these warning lights on. Your brakes has mechanical connections and they will not completely fail however your car will not operate as usual if there are any warning lights present in connection with vehicles speeds, brake system or stability control, since you have an electronically control transmission that relays on these particular data. Best to get it fixed, find your exact faults code and what exactly needs to be replaced, buy used parts, get if fixed and you most likely can continue to use your car. If you have to pay 3 times the value of your car for repair you better scrap it and move on. 
Good luck 🤞 

A simple thing like an engine misfire or broken ABS ring can put those lights on.  
If all the lights are orange, which I think they are, it’s ok to drive the car, if they are red, you shouldn’t drive it.  
Has the fault been diagnosed as definitely being a brake pump or actuator?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

A simple thing like an engine misfire or broken ABS ring can put those lights on.  
If all the lights are orange, which I think they are, it’s ok to drive the car, if they are red, you shouldn’t drive it.  

The brake lights are usually red warning lights and the eCVT ecu will need speed data to manage the work of the hybrid system. I have experienced issues recently with faulty wheel bearing speed sensor and the car while drivable it was going most of the time on petrol not electricity and lost regenerative braking. Just my case., his maybe is different, but as you said red lights = no drive. 👍

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Stivino said:

Yes it has, by 2 mechanics, it's the actuator that helps keep the pump from burning out.  I'm told the cost of just the part is over $1700! They had to order the part from a dealer in another state. Total estimate for the job including flushing the brake system after the repair is $3,500. With the limited selection now of new and used vehicles, higher prices and who really knows when things will return to near normal, I'm gambling on the Prius repair and hope to get at least another 100,000 miles. Part is on order now, hope to be driving again by weeks end. Thank you all for your input. 

21 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

straight answer: do not drive your car with these warning lights on. Your brakes has mechanical connections and they will not completely fail however your car will not operate as usual if there are any warning lights present in connection with vehicles speeds, brake system or stability control, since you have an electronically control transmission that relays on these particular data. Best to get it fixed, find your exact faults code and what exactly needs to be replaced, buy used parts, get if fixed and you most likely can continue to use your car. If you have to pay 3 times the value of your car for repair you better scrap it and move on. 
Good luck 🤞 

Thank you for your advice, I'm having it repaired and hope to get another 100,000 miles. Currently still get 43.5 miles per gallon and in this current economy the money saved on gas is valuable. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, arkieram said:

Thank you for your advice, I'm having it repaired and hope to get another 100,000 miles. Currently still get 43.5 miles per gallon and in this current economy the money saved on gas is valuable. 

All the best and hopefully fast repair and be back on the road soon 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links