Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

HID bulb intermittently stops working

furtula

Happened to me once yesterday, and again this morning. During the drive, 1 bulb would just turn itself off.

If i turn the lights off, then on again, it stays off.

I don't know much about HID, is this a normal thing for them to do before they die, or do they just die?

I haven't noticed any flickering, or anything of sorts.

Haven't really checked anything so far as the weather is not really hospitable, so i'm just gathering info so far.

bulbs were never changed, or anything done to the light in the 4 years i have owned the car.

Did some research and it does not look like i will have fun fixing it.

One suggestion is to replace the bulbs, and see if same thing repeats on other side, so it's either the light, or ballast.

Checked the info i had on the car from the dealer, since it was new, and i see only 1 light bulb changed 9 years ago (since new), the other might still be original. 

Does not say which side, so i'm presuming it might be the dying one.

I was checking the parts info, trying to find more about the ballast, i could even see it on the picture, but the part number that's under it is just for the whole headlight assembly, so i'm a bit confused.

Anyway it's  not going to be a cheap fix.

image.thumb.png.32196a0d0fad2c986d92b0a2fb8d7e29.png

• Thanks 1

Normally the bulbs just go, if it is intermittant it is likely to be the ballast, the ballast on your model means a new headlamp as it is in the bottom of your image, not available seperatly 

• Sad 1

Ballast itself looks like it has 4 screw points, and i see it being sold as used part, with it's own part number, that's why i found it weird that i could not get the part number. 

I did not notice anything weird like flickering, dimming, change of color, etc, and took the cover to see how it looks like, put it back on, and after that and 3 trips totaling 40 miles, it worked fine, doubt it's just a loose connection

Guess i'll go down the troubleshooting lane then, thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

I was curios about the actual part number for the balast, even thought about taking the headlight off only to check it, as i was not able to find it online.

So far the light seems to function fine,  but i do expect it to die in next 2-3 months, so i'm just waiting for that, and a bit of warmer weather.

I'll post it as picture, just so the info is preserved as the listing will go away eventually.

image.thumb.png.8bf377c1b957c559680cef3265b80c90.png

Check if any water gets in and cause some corrosion. It happened to my Sienna 04. I opened, dry and sealed the perimeter with silicon glue, it is fixed until I sold it 3 y later.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links