Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 Mk1 1998 - Modern engine swap?

Worlds End Stu

Hi All,

I love my 3 door 1998 RAV (4WD) and I wish to continue to use it for as long as possible into the future.

With low emissions zones being implemented in many cities and the introduction of E10 petrol I was wondering if there was a relatively painless engine swap possible with a modern engine which complies with EURO6 and preferably offers better performance?

Anyone done this with the original RAV ?

rav4.jpg

Can't answer your question, but have you investigated how you would go about getting it certified as EURO6?  I think the licensing authorities just look it up in their database, so you would have to get the vehicle tested as compliant and registered.  That would presumably involve a rolling road test in a professional testing facility.  Cost a packet.

How about converting it to EV?  Bigger job, and more expensive for sure.

Modern engines have complex electronics to go with them. Anything is possible at a price….. 

Eligibility for driving without incurring the daily charge within Clean Air Zones (eg Birmingham Clean Air Zone) is decided by registration number - so changing the engine wouldn't provide exemption if the original engine didn't meet the required standard.

Having said that, the standard for petrol engines is currently Euro IV (roughly 2006 onwards) rather than Euro VI.

ulez is based on the registration, so what it was type approved and how it left the factory

The cost of an engine swap then getting it recertified will cost a lot more than newer car

As it's an import, it's not tuned to any Euro spec nor type approved (no emissions on the V5 as it's pre-2001) - so i don't know how the emissions/ulez will be rated

Hmm I wonder if I can get a petrol Mk1 and stick a D4D in it then? :naughty: 

I know from one of the motorbike forums that I'm on that you can have a vehicle certified by an approved independent agent that it meets the requirements. As others have said I'm not sure that this would be cost effective, but not impossible. If someone can fit a V10 Viper engine into a motorbike anything is possible if you're committed enough. 

Yeah I think it isn't too bad as it'll be classed a one-off 'prototype' which is how a lot of the EV conversion companies get around it.

Thanks for the responses but there seems to be a lot of focus on would such a conversion be ULEZ compliant.

I'll worry about that once I find if there is a relatively easy engine swap possible 😄

What engine swaps have people done to their Mk 1 RAV's ?

Given the scarcity of Mk1 RAV’s what makes you think anyone has swapped the engine (presumably to update it)? And even if someone somewhere has what are the chances they are on this forum? I think you are tilting at windmills. Keep your car as a show event car and buy something that is EU6 compliant if that is so important, it will be a damned sight less costly. 

I would have thought it a perfectly reasonable question to ask on this forum. Just as I did with my quest to find alternative brake discs/pads for my 4.4 as the rear discs corroded before 2 years.

Sadly no advice was forthcoming and only then did I realise that RAV4 forum on this site seems less hands on. Until the question is asked you wouldn't know.

May be an American forum might be better to help, they seem a bit more ‘hands on’ with tech stuff. 

Although I seldom post i've been on this forum quite a long time so i'm aware that in the past (admittedly when the Mk1 was less scarce) engine swaps have been performed, usually with a Toyota V6 for more power.

The RAV is not my only car and I do have something EU6 compliant, nothing wrong with exploring the possibilities of  extending the RAVs useful life and yes I appreciate it wouldn't be cost effective but I don't care. Guess i'll have to boldly go where no other idiot has gone before.... 🙂

I heard somewhere the original RAV4 is basically a Celica GT4 with an SUV body on it so it might be worth seeing what swaps people do on a Celica, as they might also be applicable to the RAV4 too!

• 2 years later...

Hello! im interested in doing the same! id love to know what the OP ended up doing and what options they found. 

Thanks 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links