Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can't update my RAV4 ECU to 1170

chrisaw

Hello!

My first post on TOC and I'm already asking for help! 😮

I've just got myself a RAV4 Hybrid 2019 (and I LOVE it!!) - switched from a 2018 Prius PHV so quite a difference.

I've read carefully through the threads about adding Android Auto functionality, bought 24hrs of toyota-tech.eu (you lot doing it in one hour... you must be incredibly efficient!! 🙂), followed the guides and added the functionality perfectly - no issues at all with that.

My end result at that point was:

Audio: 1075

Navigation: 1170

I updated the navigation component to 1170 so that was nice and easy! The problem is - the "Audio" component just refuses to be updated - I insert the same USB drive I've used before with the 17TDT2EU-DA31_Latest.zip file extracted on to it (which produces: 17TDT2EU-DA31_Latest.kwi) but when I do this - the device does absolutely nothing - no offers to update firmware, no nothing. Downloaded and extracted the ZIP again, same difference. I even updated my mapping data to 2021v2 and still the update is completely ignored.

Does anyone have any ideas where I may be going wrong here? Just trying to get the car all up-to-date (preferably without throwing money at the dealership! :P)

Thanks!

Hmmm, quite a while since I updated mine but I have an idea - are you inserting the USB and waiting for the update to be picked up automatically ?. I seem to remember when I did mine that I had to select the 'Software Update' option from the menu - but can't remember exactly where it was.

Just checked though and after the recent update I now have Audio at 1023 and Navigation at 1120 so maybe you have the latest versions.

These updates made things a little better than when I got the car last March and the navigation settings were remembered but to me it was well worth paying the dealer the £50 at the service to have Android Auto added. I am now a Waze convert and haven't used the built in nav since AA was installed.

Cheers @Peterd23 - I should have pointed that out! I have indeed been using the software update menu - usually it pops up and says "oh look, you have an update available!" but with this particular version it just does nothing at all! 😛

As for your Audio being 1023 - that means your dealership didn't finish the process completely - I had that too and if you read the upgrade document it points out that you should use "USB2" again after the initial android auto has been installed because it improved stability, etc. May be worth mentioning that to your dealership if you paid to have this installed! 👍

Ok so first of all - it's the DCU, not the ECU! Oops!!

Also I managed to resolve this issue - the issue was the word "Latest" in the KWI filename. What I did to resolve this was rename the file on the USB drive from: 17TDT2EU-DA31_Latest.kwi => 17TDT2EU-DA31_0036.kwi and it was recognised and the update applied cleanly - no problems! Very frustrating issue - soaked up a lot of my day because Toyota couldn't be bothered to name the file properly but ah well - all's well that ends well! 🙂

Hopefully this helps future folks encountering the same problem!

16 hours ago, chrisaw said:

Cheers @Peterd23 - I should have pointed that out! I have indeed been using the software update menu - usually it pops up and says "oh look, you have an update available!" but with this particular version it just does nothing at all! 😛

As for your Audio being 1023 - that means your dealership didn't finish the process completely - I had that too and if you read the upgrade document it points out that you should use "USB2" again after the initial android auto has been installed because it improved stability, etc. May be worth mentioning that to your dealership if you paid to have this installed! 👍

Thanks for this advice, I realise that you have a document explaining the process which isn't available without subscribing. Hadn't noticed any issue with the audio but will bear it in mind. I might pull down the updated files though ....

The naming of this kwi file shouldn't be a problem at least for now. Downloading today shows that it correctly names the file. Somebody at Toyota noticed !

• 2 weeks later...

I am still trying to find my way around toyota-tech.eu...is the following TSB the correct one for both the audio and navigation components?
BE-00344T-TME

Trying to be efficient with the hourly subscriptions... 🙂

TIA

Yes if you have the MM19 there is also the OTA update fix BE-00676T-TME

PS, you can search the TSB's FOC - then try google

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links