Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Vehicle Excise duty 2022

Steven83

19 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Re abolition of the tax disc. With automatic number plate recognition they know which vehicles have not been taxed, it is known what address that vehicle is registered at and by who so that is a good starter for getting the payment. Having a circular piece of paper in a windscreen holder does not necessarily mean a lot.

That's why I question their competence on doing things that shouldn't be difficult :laugh: 

It's been how many years since they got rid of the tax disc, yet unpaid car tax is higher than it's ever been, and has been rising year on year despite all this big brother technology! Even worse is I've second hand experience of the opposite, where a friend was pulled by the police for not paying his car tax when he had; Lucky he'd done it in a Post Office instead of online and had a receipt or they might have impounded his car! I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on in the same situation as I would have had no way to prove I'd paid online!

17 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's why I question their competence on doing things that shouldn't be difficult :laugh: 

It's been how many years since they got rid of the tax disc, yet unpaid car tax is higher than it's ever been, and has been rising year on year despite all this big brother technology! Even worse is I've second hand experience of the opposite, where a friend was pulled by the police for not paying his car tax when he had; Lucky he'd done it in a Post Office instead of online and had a receipt or they might have impounded his car! I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on in the same situation as I would have had no way to prove I'd paid online!

Do you not have the option of printing off a receipt when you pay online. I have that option in Ireland.

It is an option, but I don't have a printer at home any more, and even if I did it can be faked really really laughably easily as it's just  a print of a web page so I don't know if they'd accept it (If they do, then no wonder some many people are successfully evading it :laugh: )

I think that is part of the problem as there is no official note of what they'd accept as evidence of it being paid...

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

I get an email back almost immediately when I pay online.

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The team I worked on used Crown vehicles for a lot of our official travel, which had Crown exemption discs in place of the standard VED disc. We were stopped numerous times by police as they didn't recognise the certificates.

They also carried no insurance - in the event of any accident the Department's fleet management team dealt with claims.

That’s interesting. Theoretically if you are rich you shouldn’t need insurance, I’d poor people only need it because we likely couldn’t afford a huge payout I’d say we wrote off a car or seriously injured someone.

the ironic thing is I’ve been driving for 21 years and never made a single claim or had a single accident. I’d hate to add up the amount of insurance I’ve paid considering my first car was about £1500 a year policy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Catlover said:

I get an email back almost immediately when I pay online.

Yes, me too. And that e-mail remains in my mobile phone just in case. Although it's possibly not definitive proof to combat computer says no?

1 hour ago, mrpj1 said:

Yes, me too. And that e-mail remains in my mobile phone just in case. Although it's possibly not definitive proof to combat computer says no?

Likewise my cert of insurance, I take a photo kept on mobile phone, a paper copy goes in the car too but that can easily be misplaced. So belt and braces it is.

Yea, I also carry my licence and leave the insurance docs in the car. Thankfully although insurance companies have moved most of their docs to PDFs they still seem to send out physical insurance certificates.

I feel official physical documents are much more likely to be accepted than e-mails or printouts...

I'll be stuffed if I ever get mugged or carjacked tho' - So much ID! It'd be like what happens with Ford Prefect and the Ident-I-Eeze card in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy! :eek: :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links