Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E15 won't shift back to third gear

JakeOfOz

Hi all,

I just bought a 2007 Auris, the 1.6 vvt-i, with the manual 5 gear gearbox. (I came from a Corolla with a similar 1.6 engine)

I have a weird problem: Gear changes go smooth, except in one case.

When I try to shift BACK to third gear, it straight up refuses to get in gear. Shifting UP to third is no problem. It also doesn't matter if I come from 4th or 5th, it won't go back in 3. Back in 2 or even 1 is no problem.

I also tried going from 4th or 5th to 2nd, and then to 3: no problem. Even when I only go near 2nd it will then go into 3rd.

It's not even crunchy changes, it just won't go into third when coming from a higher gear.

Any ideas what might cause this?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, did you find out what was up. I have exact same issue but with 1.4 diesel. 

Thanks

B

Check the cables from shifter to gearbox at the gearbox side. 

Hi, did you find out what was up. I have exact same issue but with 1.4 diesel. 

Thanks

B

13 hours ago, NOrWAYCHRIS said:

Check the cables from shifter to gearbox at the gearbox side. 

Will get a look tomorrow and update. Thanks

Hi

Following this one.

I have exactly the same problem that JakeOfOz describes. I have my doubts that it is mechanical since I also only need to "get close" to the 2 gear to get it into 3rd (I don't actually need to put it in 2. gear)

My 2007mod has only been driven 130,000km by the way.

Take this suggestion with a pinch of salt - I don't have one of these cars or this problem.

When engaging 1st or 2nd gear the change mechanism is being pushed as far as it will go to the left, so the gear lever is relying on the gearbox itself to limit its travel.  When engaging 3rd gear, is it not the case that the 'detent' that the change lever falls into is created by springs in the mechanism that sit underneath the gear change lever?  I have an idea that it is on some cars.

If, because of wear inside the 'side-to-side' cable between gear lever and box, that 'gear lever' detent no longer matches with the position that the gearbox needs to allow a proper engagement, will it not prevent an engagement?

If this was the case, adjusting a little, experimentally, the length of the 'side-to-side' cable might make the situation better? (Or worse - keep notes as to what you adjusted!)

So really just a long explanation as to why you should 'check the cables', as above.

• Like 2

I don't think the Auris has any option to adjust the cables. Maybe the fork is sticking on the gearbox side, or it has a lot of slack.

Get someone in the car and have them operate the lever as needed, and watch the fork. The cap on the selector fork might just need some cleaning, and/or lubrication.

Had this problem on a yaris shifts fine from 1 to 2. But not from 3. To2. . On one gear cabel the "inner tube" was broken so i guess that from 1-2 gear the cabel was pulling wich was no prob. But 3-2 it was supposed to push the arm on gearbox back, wich it could not do whit the broken "inner tube". Or shomething like that......can't remember exactly. But new cables fixed it anyway. So worth a look at least. 

Think i still got the old cable,can post a photo, in case my explanation make no sense..

Sorry for bad spelling 😃

Chr.

16979966738413210667345085247571.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for that. I sold mine today to a mechanic shop he will look into it. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links