Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Launch Flat Battery

Hibird

6 minutes ago, Dala said:

for RAV4 is the AUDIO button
try replacing the INFO button with AUDIO according to the instructions

audio.PNG

😄

19 minutes ago, Dala said:

Sorry, should have explained. Some people just don’t read instructions, so you highlighting that made have a laugh.

On 2/2/2022 at 3:45 PM, Hibird said:

Does anyone know when these Toyota Hybrid vehicles are shipped from there point of manufacture to there final destination if any prevenative steps are taken to avoid excessive battery discharge and possible permanent capacity loss prior to sale. ie slave battery/battery isolation switch/battery disconnection etc. Or is 12v battery SOC prior to delivery a lottery.

I have only experienced one flat battery event after 12 months which may or may not have been down to me but some seem to have much more frequent events.

The 12v battery is of limited capacity on these vehicles but I am not convinced by the low milage/infequent use take on the problem. Of course more frequent use or the leaving the vehicle 'Ready mode' fix will help overcome the problem but so may a better 12v battery power management strategy.

For example why does the car need to search for a key for days on end ? yes I know this can be changed by Toyoto dealer if you can find one willing to do it or 3rd party diagnostic tool but could be made a user option. I am unclear on how much this may limit the total average quiescent current, perhaps someone has carried out some tests but I assume it would at least help. I do not know enough to comment on the connected services overhead which again may or may not be relevant. However if the reason for flat batteries is varied and complex so may be the solution.

I see lots of advice for the use of battery chargers & boost devices etc while I do not doubt these help owner confidence in as much they can use their vehicles they do not fix or identify any problem and come at additional cost and inconvenience.

The interesting thing is the problem clearly does not effect everyone far from it, which would suggest the root of the problem is unkown at least to me.

I read many cases where the 12v battery has been charged by the dealer and told there is nothing wrong with it and within days it's flat again that needs much further investigation and in some cases that has happend finding faulty dash cams etc. Which means that not all flat batteries are from a single cause and when combined with lights left on doors left open and excessive radio listening in accessory mode there are a lot of variables.

Following my first flat battery I will try to pay more attention to my interation with the vehicle which may shine some light on the reason but I am not holding my breath but on the other hand it's a great vehicle to own and 1 flat battery (so far) can be forgiven.

I am very surprised to see that no-one is replying to your original post.  This is what is stated in the Owners Manual page 179:

To prevent 12-volt Battery discharge
Do not stop the hybrid system when 
the shift lever is in a position other 
than P. If the hybrid system is stopped 
in another shift lever position, the 
power switch will not be turned off and 
remained to ON. If the vehicle is left in 
ON, Battery discharge may occur.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, nadca said:

I am very surprised to see that no-one is replying to your original post.  This is what is stated in the Owners Manual page 179:

To prevent 12-volt battery discharge
ON, battery discharge may occur.

Great spot by you Carl. In my original post I had speculated the car may have not been left in 'P' but could not be sure. Many thanks for bringing this to my attention you are a star.

I have not had any Battery issues since so things are looking up, thanks for your input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike, while that is true, and I have it once or twice, it nagged me so much that I did as ordered and put it in P. 

I know my wife had a problem, I forgot how it works.  She told me she couldn't get the lights Off. 

When I went out the car was of course in Ready mode, and it took me a couple of minutes to reset the lights, the wipers, indicators etc. 

Oh, and press the Button 😁

14 hours ago, nadca said:

To prevent 12-volt battery discharge
ON, battery discharge may occur.

Hi Good spot!! I was not aware of this. Since having new Battery all I going well with no further issue so far. I do deactivate key fob and will now make sure I P position.

Cheers

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links