Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart key

Bogan

Well thefts are usually to order, or yobs out for a joy ride. The former are unlikely to go after a Toyota - More usually luxury JLR and German vehicles.

The latter tend to go after typical sporty yobbo cars, so french hot hatches, fast fords etc. Again, unlikely to target a Toyota.

Additionally, Toyotas tend to have better thought out security - The immobilizers are integrated into the ECU, not a separate unit, so much harder to bypass. The key locks also tend to be harder to pick vs e.g. the old Ford hex keys (Admittedly not all of them... The Aygo seems to have been left out to dry there...!). Both mean most thieves will go after something that requires less effort.

Basically, there are other lower-hanging fruit for them to go after...

12 hours ago, Cyker said:

Well thefts are usually to order, or yobs out for a joy ride. The former are unlikely to go after a Toyota - More usually luxury JLR and German vehicles.

You forgot to mention cars stolen to break down, such as Clio's. A friend had a Clio II stolen, it was found, but there was nothing left but a carcass. My '85 Supra was attacked 3 times by thieves, but luckily for me, they didn't succeed. Cost me a bit in new locks each time, though.

• Like 1

had keyless entry 14 years ago with no problems, just shows how times have changed but surely manufacturers  should be one step ahead of the thieves and sort the issue out and develop a safe system that the owner can rely on. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, Red_Corolla said:

There are 2 ways; either use the button combination to put the fob to sleep, or use the method Andy described to stop the car from polling for it's presence.

First way preserves your keyless ignition but is a bit of a faff every time you lock the car up. Second way has the side benefit of reducing the draw on the battery while parked, but requires similar faffing when starting the car.

Consensus on the auto sleep is that only 22-on vehicles have it. Mine's a 21.5, I tried sitting the remote on the floor beside the drivers door for 20 minutes after locking up and the door still opened after that time.

My opinion: biscuit barrel FTW!

My sisters is a Sept 21 so im guessing she doesnt have the 'new' key? 

59 minutes ago, Jrooney06 said:

My sisters is a Sept 21 so im guessing she doesnt have the 'new' key? 

I really can't say, only that mine was registered in the same month and my basic experiment suggests that the key does not sleep unless it's done manually with the buttons. Perhaps it has to be taken away from the car first before it will auto sleep. But, if that's the case, I have no method of verifying if it works or not.

5 minutes ago, Red_Corolla said:

I really can't say, only that mine was registered in the same month and my basic experiment suggests that the key does not sleep unless it's done manually with the buttons. Perhaps it has to be taken away from the car first before it will auto sleep. But, if that's the case, I have no method of verifying if it works or not.

It won't - you need a 22 MY Corolla for the new theft resistant keyless fob.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, forkingabout said:

It won't - you need a 22 MY Corolla for the new theft resistant keyless fob.

Does the MY22 key fob look different to they MY21.5?

I had the keyless ignition on my previous car but Aygo that replaced it does not and I have to say it is one feature I am happy not to have. 

8 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

I had the keyless ignition on my previous car but Aygo that replaced it does not and I have to say it is one feature I am happy not to have. 

Conversely for me it's a must-have feature. I keep the car in a clocked garage so have no concerns about the key (though I remain saddened that earlier keys didn't go to sleep - it's such an obvious security enhancement and would prolong Battery life).

• Like 1

My current 308 T9 is the first vehicle I've owned that has keyless entry - I wouldn't want to buy another car without it now.

Yes the 308 system requires RFID pouches to stop relay theft as it uses older technology but the C-HR I have coming uses the new smart keyless fobs with motion detection to resist relay theft. 

• Like 2

For me it is one of those features that many have a defined view you either like or dislike it.  For me is was a two edged sword in that I loved the fact that the car moved the drivers seat to a preset position depending on which fob was used but I hated having to put it in a RFID pouch and often forgetting to do so at that.   In the case of the Aygo the drivers seat is a manual affair and therefore this is not an option even if it was keyless. 

I truth I did not really know that I was that bothered by the keyless aspect until I purchased the Aygo and realised the relief of not having the worry of having the system compromised or having to lock it away in it's own little pouch.

That said the keyless system I had was nine years old and, like a lot of things, the technology has moved on, and I would feel a little easier with the new systems but overall I am happier not having to use it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

That said the keyless system I had was nine years old and, like a lot of things, the technology has moved on, and I would feel a little easier with the new systems but overall I am happier not having to use it.

My Yaris is the first car I have owned with keyless entry and start. I like it. The car beeps if I leave the car in start mode and walk the key away from the car. The key goes to sleep if it is not moved. The car is also parked in a garage most of the time. So, I have little to worry about. With all that, it's still surprising that the car will not auto lock when driving off!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

My Yaris is the first car I have owned with keyless entry and start. I like it. The car beeps if I leave the car in start mode and walk the key away from the car. The key goes to sleep if it is not moved. The car is also parked in a garage most of the time. So, I have little to worry about. With all that, it's still surprising that the car will not auto lock when driving off!

Not sure on the Yaris but with my Honda CRV the auto lock was a programming option.

I would love to garage my Aygo but for the last nine years I have owned a Honda CRV and, with a home built in the last 50 years, there was no way it was going to fit in the garage, it was a tight fit even for the Honda Civic I owned before the CRV.  Rather the lose the space the garage was repurposed into a split workshop and games area.  The games area has a driving set up complete with racing seat, steering wheel and gear shift and large widescreen monitor so I can continue to practice my driving and not worry about the miles per gallon, or car smashes for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

The games area has a driving set up complete with racing seat, steering wheel and gear shift and large widescreen monitor so I can continue to practice my driving and not worry about the miles per gallon, or car smashes for that matter.

In other words, your Man Cave 😁

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, RzrAzr said:

Is car theft in UK that bad nowadays?

Car theft has risen in the UK. Main reason is to strip cars for parts, for which demand has increased due to production difficulties, etc. Sometimes cars (mainly Vauxhalls and Fords) are stripped on the road of the front panels (bonnet, bumper, front valance, lights, etc).

0_IMAGE-1.jpg

Regardless of fobs turning themselves off, etc, Police are recommending the use of steering wheel locks (ideally tested by either Sold Secure or Secured by Design) , etc, which act as a visual deterrent and delay the thieves.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Big_D said:

In other words, your Man Cave 😁

Spot on.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Car theft has risen in the UK. Main reason is to strip cars for parts, for which demand has increased due to production difficulties, etc. Sometimes cars (mainly Vauxhalls and Fords) are stripped on the road of the front panels (bonnet, bumper, front valance, lights, etc).

0_IMAGE-1.jpg

Regardless of fobs turning themselves off, etc, Police are recommending the use of steering wheel locks (ideally tested by either Sold Secure or Secured by Design) , etc, which act as a visual deterrent and delay the thieves.

I was able to use the same Disklok on the Aygo as I had on the CRV it replaced saving me around £135 but if the fit had been different I would have purchased another Diskloc as the visual deterrent is fairly good and I have had good service from the present one.

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

Not sure on the Yaris but with my Honda CRV the auto lock was a programming option.

It's an option that a lot of European Toyota owners would like but just isn't fitted even in 2022.

Many years ago I had a Peugeot 206 - when it was built it never had auto locking BUT a later software update for the body computer brought that user option ( & some others ) plus allowed the user to configure them on or off. 

Maybe it's something Toyota could look in to for the future, it might just be a simple software programming job OR it may require a hardware design change. 

While it would be nice to have the feature, Ill just press the button on the door when my C-HR turns up to lock / unlock the doors. 

5 hours ago, Hornet3D said:

As it is on almost all cars made after c. 2000

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links