Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2008 1.6 spark plug size?

gavpedz

Hey so just went to change my spark plugs with my usual 10mm spark plug socket that I have used on all my car's. Couldn't figure out why they were not coming out then looked at my new set and they are smaller. What size do I need? It's word as the spark plug socket is 10mm but a normal socket at 10mm is tiny. Any ideas? I'm guessing around 12-13mm on normal sockets but seems spark plug sockets are different. 

10mm usually refers to the thread size, not the hex size. So, I thought you must have a 16mm (5/8) socket, the one smaller than that is 14mm.

If it’s NGK ILKAR7B11 4912 or equivalent, I don’t think a double hex is required as it’s a single hex plug if I remember rightly.

And, it is 14mm.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stivino said:

10mm usually refers to the thread size, not the hex size. So, I thought you must have a 16mm (5/8) socket, the one smaller than that is 14mm.

Ah my socket is from Halfords and says 10mm on the side of it so guess like you say it is referring to the thread size rather than The actual socket size

1 minute ago, gavpedz said:

Ah my socket is from Halfords and says 10mm on the side of it so guess like you say it is referring to the thread size rather than The actual socket size

Yes, that will be a 16mm (5/8) hex size socket you have.

14mm and you may well need a thin wall socket to get it down the plug hole - thin wall sockets by their construction are 12 point

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Stivino said:

Yes, that will be a 16mm (5/8) hex size socket you have.

I disagree. That will be the size of the bolt head/nut being 10mm across. I have never seen a Metric socket or spanner stamped by the thread diameter. That would be referred to as M10 x thread pitch.

The spark plug hexagon is 13.8mm across flats, checked with a Vernier caliper.:ph34r: Hence a 14mm socket.

Sorry to labour the point, but the first is a 16mm socket, see picture. Looking at the second, it has 12mm stamped thereon in the picture but 16mm in the description? Those sizes are for across the hexagon flats. The second incorrectly states 10mm thread. That should be M10 thead.

I would certainly be reluctant to buy from anywhere which doesn't know the basics about socket/spanner sizes or thread identification. Yes, there is a 10mm bolt or nut but that has a M10x pitch thread and  usually requires a 17mm socket/spanner.

"Teng Tools 16mm / 5/8" (10mm) Spark Plug Socket"  That is the description of the first socket.

"Draper 1/2 Square Drive 10mm Thread 6 Point Satin Chrome Spark Plug Socket (16mm Socket)"  That is the description of the second.

As you can see, 16mm hex sockets are often described as 10mm.

oem plug will be a Denso SC16HR11 what as I stated above is 14mm (12mm thread) 1.1mm gap

Thin wall sockets are 12 point AKA Bi-hex, it uses the point whereas a 6 point uses the flats

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254950678682

the plug sockets are marked with the most common thread size (depending on the market)

2021 denso plugs.pdf

• Like 1

Tbh the spark plug sockets sizes are confusing indeed because some sellers called them by the thread size but some by the wall socket, I shared earlier a link and Bob did too, these are the best sockets and these short ones are better than the longer one because in some cars like Prius/Auris you can take the plugs out without need to remove the wipers and surroundings, like many does unnecessarily, all you need is a short thin law socket with suitable extension bars, here I can show on my pictures. 👍

577464B0-57E7-4848-9720-B479A1EC94C1.jpeg

08065554-3BCA-4051-9652-7B06A9273717.jpeg

• Like 2

I finaly found one. I ended up just going to our local parts shop andtesting the new plugs in sockets until i found one that fit. I also used a couple of short extensions so i didnt have to take all the wipers and plastics off (stuff that for a laugh). Work smarter not harder as they say. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links