Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing an intermediate steering link

John Gibbs

I have recently acquired a lovely 2008 Rav 4 XTR from my daughter-inlaw. It had developed a bit of a clunk on the steering when going full lock. I understand that this was a common fault. I took it to my local Toyota shed and they identified it as needing a new intermediate steering link and have fitted one.  However, they have charged 1.2 hours for diagnosis then 3.21 hours to fix, and the link itself was £241.12 + vat. This all seems a bit excessive  - I'd be grateful to hear the views of forum members?

That is nuts, it's UJ's that go bad, they must have quoted the whole column, is there any play if you pull the steering wheel forwards and backwards or push on the wheel left, right, top and bottom ?

The shaft on its own is £240-280 (new) from a stealer

there are 2 types

4526042080 the more common one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384736114246

PM me your VIN and i can confirm the part

Bodge. You can pack/spray some grease into the universal joints - but It's not recommended

I don’t know about your particular case but sometimes there is a bolt that needs to be tightened up a bit and that’s all, however in some case a replacement of the part is needed. Toyota dealer labour prices are not cheap for sure but I have no idea for other eventual options. 

I’ve just watched a u tube video on removing the steering link 3.21 hrs labour does seem excessive for an experienced mechanic but depends if the bottom joint was seized to the spigot. Don’t know what the hourly rate for Toyota is but I would have thought £80 odd pounds an hour. Sometimes those universal joints seize up and all that is required is some WD40 sprayed on it to free it up.

IIRC our main stealer is in the £130-140 Ph

Iirc Febest list the replacement UJ cross pieces

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

IIRC our main stealer is in the £130-140 Ph

Iirc Febest list the replacement UJ cross pieces

Flipping eck just shows how long ago I had main dealer work done I shudder to think what Mercedes’ and the likes are.

Hi All

Thanks so much for the responses, I'm really grateful.  In the end I gave in as I needed the car back and fixed quickly for a pre-booked trip away. With hindsight I should have posted earlier, then I could have made more use of the sound advice you gave me. I won't be going back there again.  Though it is fixed and working OK, I have learned a valuable lesson.  Thanks to you all for the quick responses.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links