Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold noise Yaris 1.0 2009

Anonimocms

Hello everyone! Sorry for my English but I'm an Italian guy.
I have a 2009 Yaris 1.0 that makes a noise when cold and disappears after 10 minutes.
Before having the timing chain replaced, I would like to find out if it is the chain or if it is the hydraulic tappets.
I have turned to many mechanics and there are mechanics who say it is the hydraulic tappets and others who say it is the timing chain to replace.
After putting an additive for the hydraulic tappets, the noise has decreased a lot but it is there.
For this I would like to try to change the oil and put a 5w30.
What do you think it can be?
In Italy, we measure distances in kilometers and the Yaris has 112,804 km.

VIDEO: 

How often do you change the engine oil?

from the clip it doesnt sound as though there is any issue, but perhaps thats my hearing! 

What oil grade are you using? What kind of driving do you do? Is it mainly town driving or short trips?  I would be surprised if the chains have stretched after 100k kilometers, it might just need a good hard run to clear it out.

A few things you can try before taking the rocker cover off -

1. Check the oil level and condition

2. Check and see if there's anything loose around the engine block

3. if you have a mechanics stethoscope have a listen around the block to isolate the noise.  If you don't, just use a large screwdriver and 'listen' from the handle end as you put it on the rocker cover and side of the engine.  Also try it on the exhaust manifold.

The next thing would be to change the oil grade to one slightly thicker.  If still no joy, take the rocker cover off, remove the spark plugs and fuel pump relay, crank the engine over and have a watch and listen.

You can hear like the ticking of a metallic object hitting (TIC TIC TIC).

When were the plugs last changed ? Does it go away when revved ? Sounds like a slight exhaust blow

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links