Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Incoming calls showing as Unknown Caller

Gismo20

I know this was asked a few years ago but cannot find an answer. 
My new Yaris Criss (2022) with Toyota Touch is paired to my iPhone 7 and all contacts have been successfully imported. 
however, when I receive a call it always shows as unknown caller despite being in my contacts. 
When make a call from the car the number I am calling together with the contact name etc is correctly displayed. 
No problem with previous car, a Prius with Touch2. 
Any help please. 
Peter. 

Please update your profile to include the Yaris Criss (Cross??).

There are 3 possibilities:-

1. Toyota system does not recognise numbers without Prefix +44?

2. Phone setting in phone is not set to announce caller ID?

3. Ensure all of your phonebook is uploaded to car. 

Failing that, try deleting phone from car system, then re-link phone to car.

All I can think of.

This happens to me in the RAV and I think it is because it can't match incoming numbers that come in as +44xxxx with the numbers in my contacts that are stored as 0xxxx

Thanks both. 
All my contacts in the phone are entered as +44

Phone is set to announce calls in car and on headset and I have deleted and reloaded several times without success ☹️☹️.

nothing changed in setup between Prius and Yaris except Prius was Touch2.

1 hour ago, Gismo20 said:

Thanks both. 
All my contacts in the phone are entered as +44

Phone is set to announce calls in car and on headset and I have deleted and reloaded several times without success ☹️☹️.

nothing changed in setup between Prius and Yaris except Prius was Touch2.

In your phone, go to bluetooth and open Connection to car ( i ), there are usually settings in there which you need to activate. Check those.

8DA61508-084A-485D-8928-EBEB53540DA3.thumb.jpeg.03605e9e1a65394e6a9b8abafdeb0fe6.jpeg

bluetooth set up exactly like this. If I connect via ApplePlay I get full caller info, but just the calling number and no caller ID when on bluetooth 😩

I had a similar problem.

It seems that when the number is stored in the iPhone in 07000 000 000 format, the car shows the caller ID. If it is stored in +44 (0) 7000 000 000 or any other format it displays only the number with no caller ID.

I have re-saved the contacts in my phone to the new format and uploaded my contacts to the car. It now seems happy and shows caller ID (although I've only tested this with a few numbers).

For International contacts, it likes the +00 (0) 0000 000 000 format.

It took a while, but everything now seems to be working.

Big-D. Many thanks, that seem to have solved the problem. Such a simple solution, but so annoying unto you know the answer. 
Now just need to go through all my contacts and change to number format 😩

• Like 1

It took me ages to figure this out and get my numbers changes. One good thing is that I managed to clean out all the unused and old contacts in my phone 

• Thanks 1

Mine are stored +44 1234 567890 and all are fine in car.

2 minutes ago, Starensis said:

Mine are stored +44 1234 567890 and all are fine in car.

Mine used to be stored this way and worked fine. Went in for a free map update and then didn't work afterwards. The fix described above worked for me.

There may also be another solution. Go into into the Settings menu and then "Phone". At the bottom, turn on dial assist.

Mine is set to off, which may be why I had issues. 

phone_setting.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

It's frustrating when your car's tech isn't cooperating. In your case, it's odd that incoming calls from your iPhone show as "Unknown Caller" despite having your contacts imported.

It’s something recent mine has started.  Numbers that were stored in the normal way often show up as +44 numbers and I haven’t got a scooby who the heck it is including close friends.  Apple say it’s O2 and O2 say it’s Apple.   I’m not convinced it’s anything to do with the car.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anchorman said:

It’s something recent mine has started.  Numbers that were stored in the normal way often show up as +44 numbers and I haven’t got a scooby who the heck it is including close friends.  Apple say it’s O2 and O2 say it’s Apple.   I’m not convinced it’s anything to do with the car.  

It's definitely no O2. Android has always stored numbers in that way for over a decade (unless you force it back) and in any case, it recognises both formats in CallerID.... I'm surprised that Apple seems to be different...

• Like 2

On 12/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, MaxForsyth said:

It's frustrating when your car's tech isn't cooperating. In your case, it's odd that incoming calls from your iPhone show as "Unknown Caller" despite having your contacts imported.

Since your previous car, a Prius with Touch2, didn't have this issue, it's specific to the Yaris Cross and Toyota Touch. Sometimes, it could be a compatibility or software-related problem.
While I'm not an expert, you might want to explore MightyCall's solutions or check if they have any insights on their website that could help with compatibility between your iPhone and Toyota Touch in the Yaris Cross.

My cross has just started doing this, wife called me good job I recognised number or I’d have been in trouble. I updated software a few days ago could it be linked to this ?

I

Numbers come up as unknown starting +44 but in my phone (apple) shows starting 0 changed wife’s number in phone to+44 but still came up as unknown +44 any other thoughts welcome thanks.

4 hours ago, Dezzer21 said:

Numbers come up as unknown starting +44 but in my phone (apple) shows starting 0 changed wife’s number in phone to+44 but still came up as unknown +44 any other thoughts welcome thanks.

Turn off “dial assist”in the phone settings on your iPhone and it will display the contact correctly. 

Thanks will try that 

9 hours ago, Paul john said:

Turn off “dial assist”in the phone settings on your iPhone and it will display the contact correctly. 

Tried, it doesn’t work.  Or at least it didn’t on my old phone, I’ll try again on this new jobby.  

+44 1234 567890 ( do not enter the first 0 ) is the format on my phone. Also, dial assist is on, plus Announce calls set to always.

This is on iPhone 11.

Works fine on mine.

Is your software at latest version? Also, have you tried uploading contacts again from phone settings in car?

Bluetooth settings below.

IMG_1309.thumb.jpeg.3c217a57487cf52210d6633800d44d0e.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links