Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 PHEV Charging Question

Roop

Just outside my gym is an instavolt outlet.  I know they are expensive, but I was having a look at them this morning and neither of the chargers seem to fit.

am I being stupid or do some charging points not work for the toyota?

That's right. I don't think the instavolts have type 2 plugs.

You can use a number of apps (zap map is one) to locate chargers and it will tell you the types of plugs available. Only ones with type 2 are usable.

Another confusing thing is you can use a type 2 if you have a CCS combo type 2 socket but not the other way round, so a CCS combo type 2 will not fit our cars.

It's a bit of a mess but some of these public charging networks only cater for the rapid DC charging that smaller EVs and PHEVs can't accommodate.

• Like 2

someone more knowledgeable will correct me, but IIRC the onboard charger on the RAV4 PHEV is a 6.6kw AC->DC inverter/charger, and the RAV does not have the capability/hardware to accept a high wattage DC charge in any regard? (on reflection, nlee's comment also seems to say this)

So your only option for public charging is 3-7kw stations. Best ones I've found for hassle free (or at least limited hassle, but most of the time free/no cost) charging when on the go/doing errands are at ALDI, or some larger Tescos (I have a rav4 phev on order, but also have a nissan leaf). Some BP Pulse chargers will have capacity for both 7kw type 2, as well as CCS/chademo 50+kw, but newer installations near me seem to have dropped the type 2 option and are solely fast charging. I guess that's a cost/price/time/profit question for the chargepoint companies, and makes sense from their perspective. 

ALDIs seem to be an untethered socket, usually with 2 sockets, and are completely plug & play, no faffing with apps or RFID cards etc. Tescos ones are run by PodPoint, and need you to plug in then go on the app and click a button, but will still be free. Only IMPORTANT consideration with all these type of car park chargers, is that the rules of the charger are completely independent of the rules of the carpark - ie you may still need to pay & display, or be limited to 2 or 3 hrs of parking before getting whacked with a disproportionate fine from a 3rd party parking enforcement company, so pay attention to local signage for dos & don'ts. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll get that app and pop over to Tescos later 😄 .  One thing I have noticed since getting the car is that when using the wall plug charger.  It charges much much faster than mentioned in all the literature I've read. 33% -> Full in less than 3 hours and 60%->Full in less than 2.  We do live in the middle of nowhere and our Electric comes directly from the main powerlines so I don't know if that is a factor.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links