Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine fault: Repair needed

VaDinci

Toyota Proace Verso 2018

When refuelling the vehicle and then starting the engine, after 15 seconds the warning – ‘Engine fault: Repair needed’ appears and the ‘Spanner’ warning light comes on. After a few seconds the warning goes off but the spanner light remains on for the rest of the journey. The next 9 times the engine is started, the same thing happens (after 15 seconds driving, the warning message and spanner light show, etc.). After the first 10 engine starts, the vehicle behaves perfectly normally with no warnings. Then after the next refuel the same series of events occurs.

The vehicle engine warning light never illuminates, no fault codes are stored, the vehicle always runs perfectly.

The first time this occurred was the first refuel after 20,000 miles, is this significant?

The service interval spanner warning next to the odometer is not showing, this works properly and can be reset normally.

Any ideas?

proace2.thumb.jpg.012c23c8e5e92950a8e6857eb3d165d5.jpg

There is definitely a fault, who is reading the codes?

Needs diagnosing correctly to pinpoint the fault / faults.

I would guess seeing as a refuel is triggering the fault that this is diesel powered.

I would also guess seeing as its just a Peugeot in disguise it will have exactly the same flawed Ad Blue tank issue as other PSA products. 

There have been some Ad Blue software updates for PSA products plus updates for the NOX sensor - check with your Toyota service department there are no outstanding software updates / TSB available. 

As for the Ad Blue tank - if it is at fault cross your fingers that its covered under Toyota manufacturers warranty. 

Thank you both very much for your help. Unfortunately, as I said, there are no fault codes logged and no warning lights showing at all, except after refuelling. I think, though, that you are spot on, 'forkingabout', pointing me towards known AdBlue tank problems. The only case with similar symptoms I've found on the internet involved the Peugeot version of my ProAce. His had the AdBlue warning light on as well (I expect mine will start coming on soon). His solution was replacement of the tank and pump under warranty, followed by the DPF. As you say, fingers crossed if needed my local dealer will do the same!

22 hours ago, VaDinci said:

Thank you both very much for your help. Unfortunately, as I said, there are no fault codes logged and no warning lights showing at all, except after refuelling. I think, though, that you are spot on, 'forkingabout', pointing me towards known AdBlue tank problems. The only case with similar symptoms I've found on the internet involved the Peugeot version of my ProAce. His had the AdBlue warning light on as well (I expect mine will start coming on soon). His solution was replacement of the tank and pump under warranty, followed by the DPF. As you say, fingers crossed if needed my local dealer will do the same!

Who/what says there are no codes? is the being connected to the official "diagbox" software?

• 1 month later...

I think I met a total ***** at the dealershipI think I met a total ***** at the dealership. Roughly speaking, you guys explained the problem to me here in five minutes. That dude mumbled something about insurance and non-native parts. I haven't driven a car for a long time, but even I was smart enough to understand that he isn't sure of what he says. But for some reason, he wants ME to be sure. Okay, I have the tools to replace parts cause I bought them recently at a good discount https://sandfieldengineering.com/what-we-do/clamps-holding/toggle-clamps/. But after this discussion, I calmed down. I should show that dude this thread, lol.

It's all about liability - I feel most of them are not experienced or thorough enough to stand by their own diagnosis a lot of the time, and don't want the liability if they get it wrong, so try to put the onus on the customer.

That's been my experience anyway, and is why they are literally the last people I'll take it to for diagnostic work, although with the hybrid I don't have as much choice...!

1 hour ago, Junjun1088 said:

Anyone know this code please? 

20220531_165202.jpg

20220531_164217.jpg

20220531_164256.jpg

20220531_163708.jpg

They are mostly body codes and these would not set a fault light, P1199 is set when the fuel level is allowed to get too low however there are clearly codes your tester cannot recognise hence the OEM message.

As a 2018 van it would have a 5year 100k warranty why aren't you taking this to Toyota

You really need PSA Diagbox if you want to fully interrogate a Proace.

Proace = Peugeot in disguise. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links