Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

That 12v battery (again!)

AlJ

Sorry, that was supposed to be a question.

4 hours ago, JurS said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for the actual type of Yuasa battery to use? Are we sure this actually helps with the problem? Is there anyone with a Yuasa battery who still experiences the issue?

Also, would my dealer be prepared to fit such a battery? And if not, it I get someone else to fit it, would that invalidate the warranty on the car?

Thanks!

I recently fitted this to my Yaris Mk4 Excel..20240107_132947.thumb.jpg.347f6d328ede95031174c1ccc01883e5.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

HSB202 = YBX5202 = 175x175x190

YBX5012 = 207x175x190

If the yaris cross has more space, it is better to give more capacity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dala said:

HSB202 = YBX5202 = 175x175x190

YBX5012 = 207x175x190

If the yaris cross has more space, it is better to give more capacity.

Yaris: YBX5202 = 45 ah

Yaris Cross: YBX5012 = 54 ah

It's the Battery type that decides the ah, not always the measurements

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jthspace said:

Yaris: YBX5202 = 45 ah

Yaris Cross: YBX5012 = 54 ah

It's the battery type that decides the ah, not always the measurements

Ah varies from one mfg to the other

Varta blue dynamic   544 401 042 or B 36 44AH 440 amps
Bosch S4 000  544 401 042  44Ah 420 amps  

Even the cheepest Battery I can find the Ah is still superior to the  Mutlu 35Ah rating.

• Like 3

This is what I put on our 2011 Yaris spirit stop/start unfortunately we got the car wrote off just after so I swapped the Battery back, it's been on the bench since as it won't fit our 2015 plate.

20240117_162601.jpg

• Like 1

Found this on toyota parts direct. Genuine 12 volt Battery for 2011-2014 yaris hybrid. Made in Korea and 45Ahr

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-prius/toyota-yaris-hybrid-2011-2014-12volt-battery/

bearing this in mind makes me wonder if 45ahr is what is fitted to my yaris cross not 35ahr as i thought it was.

Apologies if I have missed something.

Why do you suspect that ?
This is for a Yaris 2011 - 2014, why do you ‘extrapolate’ that to a 2022 YC ?

34 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Why do you suspect that ?
This is for a Yaris 2011 - 2014, why do you ‘extrapolate’ that to a 2022 YC ?

I just thought that if Toyota were fitting a 45ahr Battery made in korea to the Yaris hybrid in 2011-2014 is it likely they would have been fitting a smaller 35ahr Mutlu Battery made in Turkey to a 2022 Yaris Cross?

In order to find out I have emailed toyota parts direct.

Ps as the name suggests, Toyota Yaris Cross Plug in Hybrid. Is exactly what I do every time I use my car. 

Oh joy…. I purchased a new 2021 Yaris Hybrid, then covid hit (could not use the car then the troubles started) flat Battery. Back to dealer, Battery re-charged. Went on 2week holiday (Battery flat) AA got me going, didn’t use for a week, battery flat, AA visit, asked for a report. Back to dealers, left for 3 days for checks etc, battery passed checks etc. Not used the car for a week (guess!!! Battery flat) now by this time I was getting very annoyed) new car with battery problems!!!!  Eventually Toyota UK gave permision to the dealer to replace the battery (as a gesture of good faith etc). Only because I kept pushing the fact that the vehicle was not fit for purpose. Basically it’s still not, as the 12volt battery needs to be of a higher capacity. But what do I know 🤷🏻‍♂️. Only way round is to do exactly what everybody on here is doing, but to buy all the extra things required to do this is just not right. I really wish that Toyota would sort this problem out for us owners who have to deal with this day in day out. Can one not upgrade the battery to resolve this issue? 

• Sad 1

On 1/29/2024 at 8:38 PM, Cyker said:

Out of curiosity, am I the only person here who has a factory-fitted 12v battery that hasn't failed yet??

Mines still going strong 2 years in, however I use a solar charger when I go away - paranoid after reading all the horror stories!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

Mines still going strong 2 years in, however I use a solar charger when I go away - paranoid after reading all the horror stories!

Let me guess - taxi driver,  delivery driver, journey to work takes more than an hour each way? 😁

@Redjohn John. Snap, except after 2nd flat and garage check i did a daily monitor showing rapid discharge.   No issues they upgraded the Battery to 42AHr.

One difference,  the advice to put in Ready mode once a week was 6 weeks after I bought the car.  At the time I had no concept of Ready Mode.  Without this Forum I don't think I had even learnt about Ready mode for an hour

• Sad 1

Toyota UKsays:

Hi Alan, thanks for your comment.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the 12V Battery on your Yaris Cross. There is no larger capacity Battery available for this model and your local Toyota Centre remains the best place to investigate any issues you are experiencing. A solar or trickle charger is a common recommendation for those who may experience 12V Battery depletition due to lack of use and this is something that your Toyota Centre can also advise on.

Thanks,

There you are straight from the horses mouth. I did buy a Toyota Yaris Cross plug in hybrid. I just didn't realise it at the time.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Chas G said:

Let me guess - taxi driver,  delivery driver, journey to work takes more than an hour each way? 😁

About an hour to work each way but short journeys at weekends 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

That’s great news how does the solar charger work where do you plug it in ? Are they expensive ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Countryside said:

That’s great news how does the solar charger work where do you plug it in ? Are they expensive ?

Not if you buy this one. Plugs in to the OBDII socket (that's the preferred way) but you do need the car to be facing mostly south when it is parked for it to be really effective. (it hooks into the direct Battery connection required in an OBDII socket)

PXL_20210108_133253492.thumb.jpg.fc7abd546a2f428806d28bae98b034b5.jpg

PXL_20210108_133342468_MP.thumb.jpg.62fd37db311bdcfe83d6f97a652c0691.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chas G said:
Toyota UKsays:

Hi Alan, thanks for your comment.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the 12V battery on your Yaris Cross. There is no larger capacity battery available for this model and your local Toyota Centre remains the best place to investigate any issues you are experiencing. A solar or trickle charger is a common recommendation for those who may experience 12V battery depletition due to lack of use and this is something that your Toyota Centre can also advise on.

Thanks,

There you are straight from the horses mouth. I did buy a Toyota Yaris Cross plug in hybrid. I just didn't realise it at the time.

It's a pity that our "Local Toyota Centre" don't mention that you will need a Battery charger if you don't do a lot of mileage before they sell you the car as quite a few buyers may fall into this category especially retired buyers, if they give you this advice then you probably wouldn't buy it which is indeed why they forget to mention it. I can imagine the response if this was mentioned, something like WHAT? Goodbye

We keep a 10 year old Aygo as a second car which stands for weeks and never has a Battery problem so the advice is steer clear of this particular Toyota Hybrid if you are a low mileage user and for Toyota dealers to give the truth to potential buyers

• Like 1

Andrew, I take your point, but what we don't know is the proportion of low mileage users with flat batteries. 

Also we do know the problem is not unique to Toyota. 

How many products are sold with the warning it might not work?  The most difficult job for a washing machine salesman,  having sold you a 'reliable' machine, is to sell breakdown insurance. 

Oddly most of us consider buying car breakdown cover; we anticipate a breakdown etc.

That’s a good point Roy thousands of Yaris sold in the U.K. with just the regular few on here surely if many had Battery problems they would be on here !

2 hours ago, CPN said:

Not if you buy this one. Plugs in to the OBDII socket (that's the preferred way) but you do need the car to be facing mostly south when it is parked for it to be really effective. (it hooks into the direct battery connection required in an OBDII socket)

PXL_20210108_133253492.thumb.jpg.fc7abd546a2f428806d28bae98b034b5.jpg

PXL_20210108_133342468_MP.thumb.jpg.62fd37db311bdcfe83d6f97a652c0691.jpg

I must say that does look very smart and certainly improves the interior ambience in the flavour of pimp my ride. 

I can't wait to get one but I would probably fit a length of 4 by 2 on top of the dashboard to secure the solar cell.

As the road behind my house is in shadow for most of the day I have written to Hillingdon Council to request they demolish the houses opposite and allow me to park North South across the road. I can't see any problem with fire engines/ambulances etc going the long way round if they need access. As they say "Where there's a will, there's a way".

I have been toying with the idea of fitting solar panels to the roof of my car. I obviously don't want to drill holes because of the risk of leaks. I was wondering if the standard toyota roof bars would be capable of taking the load.

When I retired I thought I might be bored but not the case at all since I bought my yaris cross plug in hybrid. Thinking if innovative ways to solve the problem of an inadequate 12 volt Battery charging system is giving me more than enough to do.

As an aside, among the 600+ posts on the toyota.co.uk website there is quite an interesting contribution from an electrical engineer who was previously involved in the design of Battery charging systems. The response though was to tell him to Sorn his car, buy some thermals,  hot water bottle  and a Battery radio for his compulsory hour+ in seclusion, buy a solar cell or tap into the nearest lamp post to connect a trickle charger.

Ps I am booked for the week but always willing to pop round. 🤪 

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Countryside said:

That’s a good point Roy thousands of Yaris sold in the U.K. with just the regular few on here surely if many had battery problems they would be on here !

The others are either on the toyota.co.uk website, out shopping for solar chargers and thermals or suffering in silence.

Hi... In the process of replacing my Arona and was about to press the button on the new Premiere version, but being put off by all the Battery issues ... dont do many long runs and prob less than 5k a year, so could be an issue for me ...  

I found these videos useful in explaining the issue if not already been posted

• Like 2

Don't be put off by the "Battery issue" alone. Our 2020 Launch Edition Yaris is still going strong with its original Mutlu Battery 3 yrs 5 months and 13,570 miles on (3,970/yr) and has not once failed to start...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links