Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Verso (54 plate) throttle sensor

Yarso

Does anyone here happen to know the part number for a throttle position sensor on a 2004 Japanese-built Yaris Verso T3 1.3l petrol (auto box)? The original sensor is getting progressively worse and I'd quite like to change it (but would prefer not to pay £100 for a dealer supplied part!).

I tried a couple of years ago with a part sourced from (IIRC) Poland which was supposedly the right part, and although it was OK in terms of the throttle working, it brought up an engine management light on the dash.

I can live with it as it is, but if I could get a workable replacement in the £30-40 price range then I would.

TIA!

How do you know it's the TB sensor, it's more than likely the pedal is worn

I can look the part up number shortly

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure it's the sensor - mainly because the acceleration is "lumpy" - if you put your foot down progressively you get not much and then a sudden lurch, but there is no change in the feel of the pedal at that point. It certainly doesn't ~feel~ like something that could be due to mechanical wear.

I forgot these have a cable throttle, when were the plugs changed ?

• Like 1

Not for a long, long time. I wonder if that could be the cause? The lumpiness reduces as the engine warms up, which probably points more to something like the plugs than the TPS. But... it idles fine, and I would have thought you would get rough idle with one or more plugs going bad?

I'll take a look and see what plugs it has - need to be a bit careful when relying on online parts matching, because it's quite common to get a part that's meant for a French-built car, even though it's Japanese-built. Halfords supplied a Battery with the terminals the wrong way round, even though we gave them the reg.!

Part number. 89452-20130 £90 or BluePrint ADT37203C £56 use the code HAVE15OFF on eBay at checkout for 15% off (about £48) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234488331099

it could be sucking in air if the TB has been off a few times, it is likely needs a new gasket (ideal time to give it a good clean)

Gasket. 22271-21050

Yaris verso's are all Jap built but the aftermarket crosses parts with the normal yaris (the Yaris verso is closer related to the Corolla)

• Like 1

Thanks Flash - I might try changing the plugs anyway as I doubt they have been done in 18 years! I'll ask Halfords what plug type they recommend but I'll treat any answer I get with the scepticism it deserves...

Poor spark/worn plugs will cause a rough throttle under a throttle snap/harder acceleration a the compression/fuel can blow the spark out

a bad PCV can also affect the throttle

i will look the plugs up for you.................

OEM is denso K16R-U11 (copper plug good for 50-60k miles) Now replaced by the modern Iridium plug IK16 https://www.denso-am.eu/catalog/part/IK16

Toyota's tend to run better on Denso plugs

• Like 1

Strangely it's only on light throttle that it's lumpy, and really only very noticeable when cold. I'll be doing an oil and filter change at the same time so I'll have a good look around.

I don't want to tempt fate, but it's been a super-reliable car for the whole of its life and I'd like to keep it going for a few more years.

K16R-U11 and K16TT are both current - im in shock Halfrauds have them at £3-4.50 each what's an OK price

give it a good service and go from there (oil, filters and plugs)

• Like 1

Seems that everything like that has gone up in price. I can get the K16R for just over a tenner for four, so I'll probably go with that. Thanks for your help!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links