Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Questions about 1st gen Yaris, steering wheel replacement, an oil leak, radio code

furtula

I'd like to replace the steering wheel on a 1st gen 2005 Yaris, and for that i need to take the Battery off.

Does the radio have a code?

I also seem to have a slight oil leak from the back side of the engine, the one closer to the driver. Seems to be coming from the back of the engine, and it's intermitent. Is there maybe some known issue on that side, i remember chain tensioner being an issue and tending to leak some oil on some Toyota's that age.

Is it possible to stiffen up the gear lever, to have a bit more feedback when shifting through gears? Feels a bit  sloppy compared to Auris, and you just kinda put it where you think it should go.

no code on the radio

oil leak is more than likely, a cam cover gasket has gone crispy with age

slack gear shift is either a worn shifter or worn cables (the plastic ends wear out over time)

Not really slack, more like sloppiness, i checked the cables, and there isnt that much slack in them, or wear, i'd just like it to be a little bit firmed.

But then again, maybe it's all like than, haven't tried another Yaris.

But if i were to compare it to Auris, Auris feels like driving a tractor in a sense of firm selector, and very firm clutch pedal, or atleast the spring.

I'll pop the plastic covers out and take a look. Got a decent stocked breakers nearby, so might even find what i need there.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:11 PM, flash22 said:

It's a worn shifter, the plastic where the ball sits wears over time, not sure about the mk1 but there are rebuild/repair kits

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164639941985

this looks useful.  Would this fit the Ph1 tsport?

The manual shifters are all a similar design not sure about the mk1 tho

from my understanding short shift kits for designed for the us market scion xa fit 2000-2005 echos since they share the same transmission. I believe the tsports also use the same manual 5 speed so I believe they would work for you. That is if the "sloppiness" you are referring to is related to the relatively long throw these vehicles come stock with here. I have never driven a t sport so I dont know if they include short shift tight pattern sticks from the factory.

The Tsport has a fairly long throw on mine but feels tight as in not sloppy.

Only 50 and bit thousand miles on it though.

• Like 1

Yeah, as said above, not really sloppy, just long throw.

Yesterday i went to get a resistor for it, guy showed me the japanese one, and when comparing to EU Yaris, the Japanese one just has a piece of copper.

EU one has a heat fuse which can keep up to 172C, and it's one time use.

For reference, the Japanese one looks like it was made to not die even if you put all of the car's power through it, just big flat piece of copper.

So technically even the EU one can be fixed same way.

Got a new steering wheel, so gotta replace that too.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links