Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Range Rover 2.5 'v' Landcruiser 4.5

euan

Dear All,

I’m looking for the pros and cons for converting a VX 96’ Auto 4.5ltr with 122K miles to a LGP. I currently own a RR 2.5 DSE and need some more encouragement to take the final step….can anyone help…….I can buy beer for info……

Regards,

Euan

Hi euan An LPG conversion to a 80 series 4.5 is very common in Australia.

The engine goes quite well on gas compared to other some others such as the shogun.

I saw your question regarding torpedo shaped tanks,well I heard yesterday from a friend that square LPG tanks are now available although I have no details

The normal setup is to replace the existing fuel tank with an LPG tank and fit a smaller petrol tank further forward. Running them on gas all the time is a pain as they cant be refilled unless your at a servo.

Plenty of owners have commented that the engine oil is still clear at oil change time after running on gas.

Other things to be aware of is a 10% or higher increased consumption on gas and a 10% or thereabouts drop in power.

Occasionally LPG vehicles can have problems with the gas plumbing.I think its to do with bringing the liquid gas back to a gaseous state

I looked into converting my shorter 73 series but decided I would have to clock up too many miles to make it viable.The shorter wheelbase made it even more cramped.

Better option is to buy a diesel Amazon.

Still if you want a gas powered vehicle and can clock up the miles to pay for it then you have the best motor for it.

You have to work out if you will ever break even on the conversion.

If you read trade reports they are all saying that cars with LPG conversions are not worth as much as cars without it now, mainly because the price of LPG is going up and people don't like having half there boot eaten away.

But mainly, if it costs say £2000 to have it done and you get 20MPG on it compared to 23MPG on petrol it will take you around 32,000 miles just to break even on the cost of the conversion and thats assuming that the duty doesnt increase on LPG which is it likely too after goverment reports found that it's not as enviromentally friendly as first thought.

So unless you do more than 20,000 miles a year, personally I wouldnt bother because the amount you'll save will be so slight, especially compared to the cost of the car and depreciation etc.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links