Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turn by Turn navigation on the Dashboard via Google Maps on Android Auto

Scout117

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how to force the turn by turn navigation on the dashboard when using google maps on android auto ?

It does work when the dashboard is set to the navigation manually but doesn't force it like it does on the built in navigation so it shows whatever you have on the dashboard and even the HUD ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any insight to the above issue please, still cannot find a way to force it ?

It doesn't pop up like with the built in one, not sure if that's possible. You can view the turn by turn directions by moving to the navigation menu in the cluster and scroll through.

If you use Android Auto, connect the phone to the car using the USB cable. Select the app on the phone and use the phone to set your destination. The inbuilt screen will reflect the Google map directions. You may have to set the volume level on the infotainment for the directions. That's how it works for me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RabButler said:

If you use Android Auto, connect the phone to the car using the USB cable. Select the app on the phone and use the phone to set your destination. The inbuilt screen will reflect the Google map directions. You may have to set the volume level on the infotainment for the directions. That's how it works for me.

Absolutely 👍

23 hours ago, RabButler said:

Thanks, Its the not infotainment screen, that works fine its the turn by turn navigation that shows up on your Dashboard and HUD if you have that. That is whats not showing the directions forcefully. It does for the inbuilt nav but not on android auto using google maps.

Scout, so when you said at the beginning "

It does work when the dashboard is set to the navigation manually" 

You meant the Toyota map.  The AA system does not allow that. 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

AA does if you force. Apple CarPlay does have this feature at all.

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Hi Roy, What i meant was that when using the  built in navigation it forces the turn by turn navigation on the dashboard even if im on another screen such as MPG etc, but for Android Auto it does show on the navigation section of the dashboard but doesnt force it on the dashboard say when there is a turn coming etc, for android auto you have to have the navigation section of the dashboard to be selected for it to show. So what I wanted it to do was to do the same thing like the in built-in nav where even if im not on the navigation section of dashboard it still pops up whenever there is a change in direction turn coming. 

It could be that it doesnt do this for Android Auto and not much we can do about it, i dont have an iPhone so have not checked this on Car play maybe car play does force it on the dashboard.

The reason im asking is that I have the GR Sport with the HUD so would be very usefull if the turn by turn would show up on dashboard and HUD like it does with the inbuilt nav.

Hi Abdul,

thanks for this thread. I was confused as to why one day I saw CarPlay's Google Maps navigation instructions in the dashboard, but another day I didn't. I guess I was in the navigation section of the dashboard at that time?.. However, I can't recall — what is that navigation section? I only remember having audio, economy, compass, settings, messages, etc, but not "Navigation".

On 7/5/2022 at 4:44 PM, Persimmon said:

Hi Abdul,

thanks for this thread. I was confused as to why one day I saw CarPlay's Google Maps navigation instructions in the dashboard, but another day I didn't. I guess I was in the navigation section of the dashboard at that time?.. However, I can't recall — what is that navigation section? I only remember having audio, economy, compass, settings, messages, etc, but not "Navigation".

Hi Sam,

If you go through all the sections I think its part of one of the settings so you might have to scroll up or down could be in the compass section but its definitely there I will check on my car tomorrow and see.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All.

Just an update on this.

It seems that this works on Apple car play but doesn't on Android Auto.

• Like 1

For me, it works on Apple Car play when using Apple Maps, but not when using Google Maps.

• Like 1