Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Engine Sound


damianeqb
 Share

Recommended Posts


Sounds like rattling chain to me. How many miles on the car, which year?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, damianeqb said:

Can you not hear a rattling timing chain in the background?

Rattling chain will occur on initial start up and will sound similar like rattling vvti but not as pronounce. After the engine turns the hydraulic tensioner will build up pressure and the chain will be tensioned properly and any possible rattling is unlikely. I am not saying it’s not in your case but on the video it sounds ok to me. You can easy check the tensions with removing the top engine cover, you will need a new gasket and some silicone. Also you will need to set the crankshaft at 0° TDC. Timing chain tensioners do fail on these engines sometimes. Watch that guys videos to get more information about the issue. Also the car care nut channel. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Rattling chain will occur on initial start up and will sound similar like rattling vvti but not as pronounce. After the engine turns the hydraulic tensioner will build up pressure and the chain will be tensioned properly and any possible rattling is unlikely. I am not saying it’s not in your case but on the video it sounds ok to me. You can easy check the tensions with removing the top engine cover, you will need a new gasket and some silicone. Also you will need to set the crankshaft at 0° TDC. Timing chain tensioners do fail on these engines sometimes. Watch that guys videos to get more information about the issue. Also the car care nut channel. 

 

 

B079F99B-C790-4B06-8090-FC6E4F7A5472.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2017r , 30000mile 

 

I am not a mechanic, I was at an authorized service point, the mechanic said that I could hear a chain that was sliding ...
It worries me, the car is practically new and you can hear such things here.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few moments after the car takes off, the rattling occurs when the revs start to drop, the fading out and firing do not change anything.

when the car is warm, you can not hear anything, either at idle speed or when you add gas.

sorry for my english, i'm from poland

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, damianeqb said:

A few moments after the car takes off, the rattling occurs when the revs start to drop, the fading out and firing do not change anything.

when the car is warm, you can not hear anything, either at idle speed or when you add gas.

sorry for my english, i'm from poland

What engine oil is currently in, type and brand ? When was changed last time? Mileage is too low to have any issues with this car. Also check the colour of the engine oil inside , if it’s dark and hasn’t been changed recently in the last 12 months best to change the oil and filter. Highly recommended to use Toyota oil and oem filter bought from dealer and eventually an engine flush prior to the new oil. I don’t think your engine sound bad. Here how my one sounds, it’s a hybrid 1.8 but the engine is very similar. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oil: Toyota Fuel Economy 5W30, last changed in march this year. Oil is brown. The oil was changed at the dealer.

Do you hear this rattling in the movies?
you can't hear it, if you know what I mean.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, damianeqb said:

Oil: Toyota Fuel Economy 5W30, last changed in march this year. Oil is brown. The oil was changed at the dealer.

Do you hear this rattling in the movies?
you can't hear it, if you know what I mean.

 

 

The correct oil for your car should be 0w20 . Not sure if this is the reason for having a noisy engine. I can’t hear any chain rattling myself and your engine sound similar to mine. If others can hear it or suggest something else. That’s my personal opinion. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd trust Tony with what he said. Personally, i'd change the oil and filter, should be a bit quieter after that.

If there was any issue with chain tensioner, most probably the chain guides rather than the tensioner, well something will appear in the oil.

Replace the oil, and check the old oil for metal flakes, or any parts. If the oil is good i'd drive it.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership