Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2018 Yaris Caliper Pin Lubrication

fy08avensis

Hi,

I am replacing the pads and discs on a 2018 Yaris 1.5.

When I took the caliper pins out they were bone dry - no evidence of any lubrication.

Is this the modern way ? I noted that the end of the caliper pins are protected from the weather far better than on any car I have worked on in the past so perhaps Toyota don't recommend lubricating the pins.

Anybody out there who knows ?

TIA

P

Lube the pins, metal on metal is never good

• Like 1

On some cars the slider pins are dry fit only and they retract via rubber seal. If lubricant is added then will prevent movement of the pins and cause dragging issues and premature discs and pads wear. (Audi RS6 for example).  Most Toyota cars otoh has lubricated slider pins and once they dry they get stuck and cause rusty brake discs and accelerated pads wear. For the Yaris best to double check repair manual or ask Toyota dealer service department, they will tell you. If these are your pins https://brakeparts.co.uk/shop/Toyota/Yaris/11-21/Yaris 1.5 Hybrid/Rear - Brake Calipers and Wheel Cylinders/BCF1306

I don’t know if they have to be lubricated, there is a grease in the kit and perhaps they needed. 

• Like 1

From Flash's .pdf above, doing some google-hopping on this, and also via the Priuschat website, Toyota's (glycol-based!) rubber/slider pin grease appears to be this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1616797583

I was searching on "lithium soap base glycol grease".  All the google hits were Toyota or Lexus related, it would appear other companies don't use a similarly described grease.  The dealer was not aware of their technicians using it in their (main agent) workshop.

I contacted my local Toyota dealer about this part, it is £45 inc. vat, with a 2-3 week delivery time. The quantity is unspecified, but the eBay illustration looks like a tube of about about 60ml.  

i just use the ceramic from TDM eg. hydratec, Ceratec or Permatex ceramic extreme - no issues

22 minutes ago, Gerg said:

From Flash's .pdf above, doing some Google-hopping on this, and also via the Priuschat website, Toyota's (glycol-based!) rubber/slider pin grease appears to be this:

I contacted my local Toyota dealer about this part, it is £45 inc. vat, with a 2-3 week delivery time. The quantity is unspecified, but the eBay illustration looks like a tube of about about 60ml.  

That’s too expensive, 

I use silicone grease with great success. On Auris, avensis and Prius the callipers slider pins are different style and very tricky to lube and set them correctly. I found the way that works fine for me and here I can share: 

Take the rubber boot out of the calliper , clean inside properly, clean pin properly and give it an abrasive cloth wipe. Install dry without rubber to try how fits in, if all ok , take the pin out and lube with silicone grease, not much but evenly and add a tiny bit extra on top of the pin, insert without rubber boot, rotate a few times then take the pin off, insert the rubber boot , may apply tiny bit more grease to the pin and insert the pin in its place while rotating it . When the pin is in place push to its end and squish the rubber boot to let any air out, rotate again. When the pin is in place should not try to pop out, if it does you have to adjust its position rotating it and perhaps squish rubber boot again. The idea here is not to use too much grease but to make sure the whole pin is well coated in lube, but not too much to send the pin poking out, this can cause pads to drag onto the disc and create a high heat and wear. 
If you only take pins out and wipe, apply a new grease and put  back in the new grease actually will be only inserted into the boot but not into the work tube and the pin soon will be dry and get stuck again. That’s my experience. The above tips apply for Auris/Prius type slider pins. 👍

16 minutes ago, Gerg said:

From Flash's .pdf above, doing some google-hopping on this, and also via the Priuschat website, Toyota's (glycol-based!) rubber/slider pin grease appears to be this:

I was searching on "lithium soap base glycol grease".  All the google hits were Toyota or Lexus related, it would appear other companies don't use a similarly described grease.  The dealer was not aware of their technicians using it in their (main agent) workshop.

Wow, that's some expensive grease! To answer OP's original question, I would be very wary of not greasing the pins. Ring a Toyota dealer and speak their servicing department. I found Toyota Reading very helpful when I contacted them a couple of years ago upon running into an issue while working on my Yaris.

• Like 1

Btw, the above PDFs are for the French built Yaris, mid 2015 onwards

Toyota red rubber grease 08887-01206 - manufactured by Cosmo oil lubricants, Japan - not sure if there is a European equivalent

Ceratec - £3.20 after discount

Hi , Dielectric lithium  grease ,This is what use on Toyota cars.and is the best ,don't use nothing else. I use on my Yaris for Years.

17 hours ago, flash22 said:

i just use the ceramic from TDM eg. hydratec, Ceratec or Permatex ceramic extreme - no issues

I do too. 

I use Red Rubber Grease on the slider pins, being vegetable oil based it wont cause any swelling of the boots. Ceramic grease in the back of the pads and the top and bottom metal-to-metal areas

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links