Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

motion detection key fob

jsingi

Hi All have a few day old corolla ts gr sport 22my , my question is should i be using a Faraday pouch to prevent relay theft, i have heard that latest fobs will switch off if no motion of fob to prevent theft, is there any way i can test if my fob does this?

My RAV4 fob goes to sleep after 4 mins. To test it, lock the car, put the fob on the floor start your stop watch then keep trying to unlock the door by touching the handle, then lock again, until it won't unlock anymore. Knock the key with your foot and you should be able to open the door again.

• Like 2

With my 2019 Corolla I switch the fob off by pressing the lock button and while it’s still down I press the unlock button twice quickly. The fob does not talk to the car any more and the car only unlocks by pressing the unlock button, not by touching the door handle. This also extends the fob Battery because it’s not always looking for the car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2022 MY onwards built Corolla have motion detection keyless fobs which are not susceptible to the relay theft attack method.

No need to switch them off or for RFID blocking pouches.

The keyless fob goes to sleep automatically & stops transmitting any signals a short while after it senses it has stopped moving.

• Like 1

I didn’t realise that. That’s a much better idea although if you’re walking around with the fob in your pocket I suppose its still active.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, nlee said:

My RAV4 fob goes to sleep after 4 mins. To test it, lock the car, put the fob on the floor start your stop watch then keep trying to unlock the door by touching the handle, then lock again, until it won't unlock anymore. Knock the key with your foot and you should be able to open the door again.

Hi Nlee

Tried what you said and it did indeed go to sleep until i moved fob, great stuff thx.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 9:17 PM, Dylanfan said:

I didn’t realise that. That’s a much better idea although if you’re walking around with the fob in your pocket I suppose its still active.

Yes I assume that if you are walking around with it in your pocket it will wake up the idea is with the latest key fobs is that when you are home and hang the keys up it will go to sleep and not transmit a signal so stopping a potential thief obtaining the signal, although with your key you should be able to disable it as you can with mine by holding the lock button down and pressing unlock button twice led will flash 4 times to confirm.

• 10 months later...
On 7/26/2022 at 7:53 PM, nlee said:

I can confirm that my BZ4X key also goes to sleep in this manner. I tested it, but I did give it 5 minutes just to be sure.

My22 initial batch of cars didn’t have this feature but around Feb/March 2022 manufacture they were introduced. 

To be on the safe side (although as read above it is not necessary if the fob goes to sleep) I’m using a Faraday pouch 🤷‍♂️

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links