Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

RAV4 mpg.

Hadrian1

I'm pretty pleased with the economy of our Rav4 hybrid.

We just did a trip from Essex through Suffolk to Norfolk and home again.

We did 190 miles and the display says  we're averaging  52.7mpg. Yes I know

the displays aren't always that accurate, but I consider that good.

It was mostly on A Roads, twisty turny and up and down.

• Like 5

Maximum and average speeds?

That sounds about right for A / B roads at 40 / 50 / 60 mph - that's where the hybrid system is at its best. Put it on a motorway at an indicated 70 mph and it will drop to around 47 mpg - go faster and it will drop further! 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, philip42h said:

Maximum and average speeds?

That sounds about right for A / B roads at 40 / 50 / 60 mph - that's where the hybrid system is at its best. Put it on a motorway at an indicated 70 mph and it will drop to around 47 mpg - go faster and it will drop further! 

Mostly about 55 max , lots of 40 and 30 limits

I thought it would be better doing a steady speed on a motorway, unlike EV's which are better around town.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

I'm pretty pleased with the economy of our Rav4 hybrid.

We just did a trip from Essex through Suffolk to Norfolk and home again.

We did 190 miles and the display says  we're averaging  52.7mpg. Yes I know

the displays aren't always that accurate, but I consider that good.

It was mostly on A Roads, twisty turny and up and down.

Similar based off the odometer and a full to empty tank.

• Like 1

We just had a trip up to Barnsley A1, M1 etc from Suffolk and it said 58.2 average, that was not hanging about either I have been blown away on how good this has been on fuel, mind you I had a 3.0 hilux double cab before that averaged 28 , locally it’s been between 48-52 got down to 82 mile range left and cost me £62 to fill up to 541 miles truck was £90+ .

• Like 2

I have found the onboard computer surprisingly acurate, we are seeing similar figures.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

I thought it would be better doing a steady speed on a motorway ...

It rather depends on the speed. We are talking of a HEV here (the PHEV might be a little different). The electric motors on the HEV will get us up to around 20 mph without support from the ICE. Above that, the electrc motors help and contribute to acceleration but the ICE is needed to maintain a steady speed.

At 70 mph (on a flat and level road) air resistance is the most the significant factor and the ICE is required to maintain the speed of a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick!

At lower speeds there is less air resistance and far less need for ICE power to keep going so rather better economy. And any ups and downs are, to some extent, cancelled out by the electric motors adding the torque needed to get up a hill and recovering energy again on the way back down.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oscarmax said:

I have found the onboard computer surprisingly acurate, we are seeing similar figures.

Me too to the extent I have stopped bothering with brim to brim checks. 

• Like 3

I did a 230 mile trip yesterday in my RAV4 on a mixture of motorways and A roads and I achieved 46 MPG.

• Like 1

For the PHEV the traction Battery will enable the car to reach 85mph. 

• Like 2

Just completed a recent trip with a nearly one year old Suzuki Across (i.e. Rav4 PHEV) around Northern Spain and then back through France to Caen with no electric charge top ups except for occasional  small charge ups whilst actually driving, on mainly motoways at 65-70MPH over a distance of approx 1250 miles.  It averaged 50MPG based on actual fuel put in it up to Poitiers.     Driving mainly on non motorway roads from Poitiers to Caen at around 50-60MPH - approx a further 250 miles it achieved 58 mpg  ( based on the car computer) - not done fill up to fill up check yet though, although from previous experience I have no reason to believe that this is very far from actual consumption   In a previous Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV  the MPG would have been nearer 38-39MPG. So in comparison I have been impressed with its economy as well as performance. Also worth adding the fact that not having a SAT NAV built into the Across is certainly no hardship since Google maps, Waze or Apple maps worked extremely well.                  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mead said:

Just completed a recent trip with a nearly one year old Suzuki Across (i.e. Rav4 PHEV) around Northern Spain and then back through France to Caen with no electric charge top ups except for occasional  small charge ups whilst actually driving, on mainly motoways at 65-70MPH over a distance of approx 1250 miles.  It averaged 50MPG based on actual fuel put in it up to Poitiers.     Driving mainly on non motorway roads from Poitiers to Caen at around 50-60MPH - approx a further 250 miles it achieved 58 mpg  ( based on the car computer) - not done fill up to fill up check yet though, although from previous experience I have no reason to believe that this is very far from actual consumption   In a previous Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV  the MPG would have been nearer 38-39MPG. So in comparison I have been impressed with its economy as well as performance. Also worth adding the fact that not having a SAT NAV built into the Across is certainly no hardship since Google maps, Waze or Apple maps worked extremely well.                  

How strange our Suzuki Across will be 12 months old in August, our previous vehicle a 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV very similar fuel consumption figures. We loved the Outlander PHEV but the Suzuki Across is so much more advanced.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YAR1S said:

I did a 230 mile trip yesterday in my RAV4 on a mixture of motorways and A roads and I achieved 46 MPG.

I bet your Yaris D4D would get a lot higher than that though :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cyker said:

I bet your Yaris D4D would get a lot higher than that though :naughty: :laugh: 

Around 70 MPG would be my educated guess, although these days I tend to take the RAV4 for anything long-distance.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, YAR1S said:

Around 70 MPG would be my educated guess, although these days I tend to take the RAV4 for anything long-distance.

We are very much the same, using our Yaris around town and for shorter journeys.

A lot will depend on the individual driving.  If you feel the need to race away from traffic lights

and floor the loud pedal all of the time, MPG will drop considerably.  Leave that to the owners

of German cars, who always feel they have something to prove.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Using the loud pedal on any car impacts on fuel economy. I am not a boy racer but I like to get on and make progress. 

• Like 3

That's one thing I love about the Mk4 - I can go full bore away from traffic lights and still get a tank average in the mid-high 70's :biggrin: 

The trick is to carry that momentum - If you then have to slow down for the next set of lights then it's pointless and will deffo make mpg worse, but if it's e.g. to merge onto a motorway then you pretty much loose nothing! :biggrin: 

I have made frugal hooning an art form :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 4

Back from a 540 mile round trip last night. M6, M5, M40, M42, M25. Zero Battery charge to start as I forgot to plug it in. Unusual for me. Reset the meter. 56.7mpg down. Reset. 55.4mpg way back. 

Generally mixed speeds. Stop start to cruising at 70mph.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

That's one thing I love about the Mk4 - I can go full bore away from traffic lights and still get a tank average in the mid-high 70's :biggrin: 

The trick is to carry that momentum - If you then have to slow down for the next set of lights then it's pointless and will deffo make mpg worse, but if it's e.g. to merge onto a motorway then you pretty much loose nothing! :biggrin: 

I have made frugal hooning an art form :naughty: :laugh: 

The accelerator pedal uses fuel. The brake pedal wastes it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A good axiom to drive by

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Back from a 540 mile round trip last night. M6, M5, M40, M42, M25. Zero battery charge to start as I forgot to plug it in. Unusual for me. Reset the meter. 56.7mpg down. Reset. 55.4mpg way back. 

Generally mixed speeds. Stop start to cruising at 70mph.

To date the fastest I have been in the Suzuki Across is 60mph, the only time we use the motorway is when towing the caravan at 55mph max.

• Like 1

The fastest I have driven the RAV is 100mph on a very long stretch of derestricted autobahn when we drove to Prague last October. It was great and still exceeded 40mpg. On my once a week trip into the office I stay around 80 on the motorway, traffic and roadworks permitting. Life is too short to live it in the slow lane. 

• Like 1

Our motorway is the M6/M5 its a mobile road block, I have built and raced my own cars in the past I have got it out of my system

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Oscarmax said:

Our motorway is the M6/M5 its a mobile road block, I have built and raced my own cars in the past I have got it out of my system

Same here. Being retired I have no need to get anywhere particularly quickly

We have a friend a few years younger than us who delights in telling us how fast he drives, and how long it takes him to get from A to B.  Each to their own I suppose.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

Same here. Being retired I have no need to get anywhere particularly quickly

We have a friend a few years younger than us who delights in telling us how fast he drives, and how long it takes him to get from A to B.  Each to their own I suppose.

I just plod along nothing to prove😀

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links