Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

JBL audio option discontinued?

gallen73

I test drove the Cross today. On line I had built my desired cross - Excel trim, pan roof and JBL audio option, direct on Toyota's website.

When I was getting some figures together, they said the JBL option has been removed and showed me an email from Toyota. Just seems weird as everywhere I look, it's an option.

Can anyone on here confirm this?

It may have something to do with the current chip shortage

• Like 2

I think you would be looking at a very long wait and so dealers have been instructed to stop selling it. It does still seem to be configurable for an online order.

• Like 1

Not exactly discontinued just no current availability. as mentioned above the current microchip shortage has meant JBL is being removed from multiple models until the situation improves, same is happening with multiple items needing microchips such as tow bar electrics, parking sensor kits etc

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

hi there, I ordered a Yaris Cross with JBL at a dealer in July 22. Will it be delivered with JBL? I guess it should be, as i've paid for it?? Cheers! Hicardo

Its also posible JCB system will be fittet at the dealers at a later date.

Supplied with a working radio but maybe not all Speakers working until JCB system finalised.

OR

Otherwise your order will be amended and a refund issued but then you will have the option to just cancel the order as its diffrent to your requirments on the original order.

15 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Its also posible JCB system will be fittet at the dealers at a later date.

Supplied with a working radio but maybe not all speakers working until JCB system finalised.

OR

Otherwise your order will be amended and a refund issued but then you will have the option to just cancel the order as its diffrent to your requirments on the original order.

Not possible, the entire dash & floor wiring harness different between cars with & without JBL as JBL cars have a separate amplifier under the front seats 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Hicardo said:

hi there, I ordered a Yaris Cross with JBL at a dealer in July 22. Will it be delivered with JBL? I guess it should be, as i've paid for it?? Cheers! Hicardo

I would double check as Toyota notified dealers on 30th June no further JBL orders would accepted ( for foreseeable future ) so unless you matched to a car they had pre-ordered you are unlikely to receive JBL 

Whilst you can get some JCB branded Speakers I can’t see dealers fitting them.

More likely it is the JBL amplifier/processor which is in constraint.

JBL option seems to have disappeared from the Corolla configurator as well.

JBL still showing as available to configure on C-HR. 

• Like 1

Just because a harness is diffrent dont write it off you can always  just add extra some extra wires I known special kits come out before now.

12 hours ago, forkingabout said:

JBL option seems to have disappeared from the Corolla configurator as well.

JBL still showing as available to configure on C-HR. 

Its slowly disappearing from multiple models as the microchip shortage is biting and Harman ( JBL parent company ) runs out of stock and is unable to guarantee continuous supply

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Its slowly disappearing from multiple models as the microchip shortage is biting and Harman ( JBL parent company ) runs out of stock and is unable to guarantee continuous supply

From what I've heard internally from a few different sources is the chip shortage is currently getting worse.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Just because a harness is diffrent dont write it off you can always  just add extra some extra wires I known special kits come out before now.

But is not just "wires" the kit required to fit JBL into a car is extensive:

• Alternative head unit £2230 Plus ( As non JBL head units have integral amplifiers, JBL has a separate amplifier )
  • Alternative dash harness £2500k plus ( As non JBL connects directly to Speakers at back of head unit, JBL cars connect under seat )
  • Alternative floor harness £1000 plus ( As non JBL connects directly to Speakers at back of head unit, JBL cars connect under seat harness now needs to connect to amp on floor then onto speakers )
  • JBL amplifier plus fittings £1500 plus
  • JBL a-pillar tweeters £170 ( no a-pillar Speakers on non JBL car )
  • JBL dash top mid's £300
  • JBL Fr door woofer's £732
  • JBL Rear door woofer's £450
  • A-pillar trims for JBL tweeter ( not present on non JBL cars £400 plus

I make that just short of 10k without labour to try and buy the bits required to swap in JBL and I can't guarantee I spotted everything required, when you could pick JBL as an option you are just paying the uplift from one setup to another but on a built car you've already paid once and now need to buy all the alternative kit needed, Toyota informed the network on 30th June that no more JBL orders would be accepted there is no way Toyota would agree to supply a non JBL car after this date and covert it later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Taking a look at Yaris & Yaris Cross JBL option is now gone

• Like 1

Wow, that is crazy expensive! Why so much?! The parts alone are nearly half the cost of the car!! Do they have core/return-charges attached to them or something??

• Like 2

OK, there's a couple of things to say here.  

I cant remember the cost of the JBL upgrade but it was nowhere near as expensive as all that....500 quid maybe, and secondly - I ordered the Yaris cross excel with JBL sound system at a Toyota dealer on 24th July 2022, and salesman registered the order online in the usual way.  He told me galactic blue was no longer available, but JBL was available, and I have it confirmed in documentation.

Anyway, I'll give him a bell tomorrow to see whats what

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hicardo said:

OK, there's a couple of things to say here.  

I cant remember the cost of the JBL upgrade but it was nowhere near as expensive as all that....500 quid maybe, and secondly - I ordered the Yaris cross excel with JBL sound system at a Toyota dealer on 24th July 2022, and salesman registered the order online in the usual way.  He told me galactic blue was no longer available, but JBL was available, and I have it confirmed in documentation.

Anyway, I'll give him a bell tomorrow to see whats what

Any news?

On 8/30/2022 at 11:22 PM, Devon Aygo said:

But is not just "wires" the kit required to fit JBL into a car is extensive:

• Alternative head unit £2230 Plus ( As non JBL head units have integral amplifiers, JBL has a separate amplifier )
  • Alternative dash harness £2500k plus ( As non JBL connects directly to speakers at back of head unit, JBL cars connect under seat )
  • Alternative floor harness £1000 plus ( As non JBL connects directly to speakers at back of head unit, JBL cars connect under seat harness now needs to connect to amp on floor then onto speakers )
  • JBL amplifier plus fittings £1500 plus
  • JBL a-pillar tweeters £170 ( no a-pillar speakers on non JBL car )
  • JBL dash top mid's £300
  • JBL Fr door woofer's £732
  • JBL Rear door woofer's £450
  • A-pillar trims for JBL tweeter ( not present on non JBL cars £400 plus

I make that just short of 10k without labour to try and buy the bits required to swap in JBL and I can't guarantee I spotted everything required, when you could pick JBL as an option you are just paying the uplift from one setup to another but on a built car you've already paid once and now need to buy all the alternative kit needed, Toyota informed the network on 30th June that no more JBL orders would be accepted there is no way Toyota would agree to supply a non JBL car after this date and covert it later.

A-Pillar tweeters are present also on medium level non JBL multimedia system.

AFAIK there are 3 trim levels

• Base ( 4 Speakers ) with a large band speaker on each door
  • Medium ( 6 Speakers ) with the extra A-Plllar tweeters
  • JBL ( 8 Speakers ) with additional dash top mids. 

I expect that if Toyota is unable to supply JBL system it will offer at least the medium level trim with 6 speakers. 

Alternative head unit £2230 Plus ( As non JBL head units have integral amplifiers, JBL has a separate amplifier )

Not entirely true, the head units still use speaker level outputs, the amp has speaker level input, no dash loom required as it come out in the driver's footwell - higher spec models usually have the plug under the driver's seat

A-Pillar tweeters are present, also on medium level non JBL multimedia system.

The JBL system uses a duel tweet setup or tweet/mid, 2 mids in the doors and 2 full range in the back, plus sub

you can do a fairly low cost audio upgrade to any car and get better results - just adding sound deadening to the doors makes a huge difference

• Like 1

So - I checked with the garage today re my order of Yaris cross excel with JBL ordered 25th July.  I was told by the salesman that if the JBL was available to order at the time of ordering then it has that spec.  Lets hope thats the case.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

Alternative head unit £2230 Plus ( As non JBL head units have integral amplifiers, JBL has a separate amplifier )

Not entirely true, the head units still use speaker level outputs, the amp has speaker level input, no dash loom required as it come out in the driver's footwell - higher spec models usually have the plug under the driver's seat

A-Pillar tweeters are present, also on medium level non JBL multimedia system.

The JBL system uses a duel tweet setup or tweet/mid, 2 mids in the doors and 2 full range in the back, plus sub

you can do a fairly low cost audio upgrade to any car and get better results - just adding sound deadening to the doors makes a huge difference

To confirm the differences I took a non JBL Dynamic & JBL Dynamic so other than JBL identical in Spec and all the parts I listed varied between the two, occasionally Toyota do pre-wire but in this case it is clear they have not as both dash & floor harness's differ between 6 & 8 speaker setup

I Stand corrected over the tweeters however I would need to a TOP dash panel @ £250 plus fittings & speaker grilles etc for JBL cars as non JBL models only get 6 Speakers, woofers in each door & tweeter in each A-pillar, JBL with 8 Speakers gain mid's in the top dash corners and different A-pillar trims to fit the JBL tweeters

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 9/1/2022 at 2:11 PM, flash22 said:

I'm currently waiting for a hybrid (as shown on the picture, spec'd second from top or third if you count the bitone) to be delivered on 09 of June and all that waiting has me over the fence. Wanted to ask you, even though I'm a whole different market, so there is no way of knowing for sure until it gets delivered:

a.  I want to install an under seat active subwoofer, is it common to have a Speakers in-out plug under the seat? (also, does any body know the measurements of the front and rear Speakers in the doors to replace the OEM Speakers to something better?)

b. Also want to install footwell lighting which I hear comes pre wired, could I hijack from each side two wires to run parallel to the door handles? (haven't found any info yet for that)

c. I have electric side mirrors that probably have a button for closing, if so would it be extremely difficult to hard-wire them to automatically close when I lock the car?

I'm extremely sorry for hijacking the thread from the original poster, but I didn't know if a newbie like me can or should start a post and how to get your attention.

Also, I'm very sorry for my English as English is not my mother language and I would kindly beg that if any response is given to be written in plain English as slung or jargon or technical terms are impossible to Google translate :)

specs.png

On mine the electric wing mirrors are set to close when the car is locked by default.

Optionally, the dealer can make them open and close when the car is turned on and off instead.

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

On mine the electric wing mirrors are set to close when the car is locked by default.

Optionally, the dealer can make them open and close when the car is turned on and off instead.

I have a switch on the door that selects if the mirrors close or not when locking plus if you going to drive through a tight gap you can hold the switch in and close the mirrors for the maneuver as once you relese it your mirrors will come out.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links