Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T sport turning circle

corradovr6

I may have mentioned this before but the turning circle if the t sport is bigger than the standard yaris. Embarrassingly so. 

Is it possible to fit a rack from a 2nzfe into it at all? Or any other way to sharpen the steering angle?

Partly it's down to the wider tyres, but is it that much worse? My Mk1 D4D also had a surprisingly bad turning circle, mitigated only because it's so short, but I just assumed this was the way the car was designed  - I noticed the wheels aren't aligned properly at full lock so you can hear one of them being dragged, but assumed this was due to lack of space in the tiny engine bay, esp. with a 1.4L turbocharged diesel engine taking up most of the space :laugh: , so they had to compromise on the rack slightly (Something something Ackermans angles)

It's something I really noticed going to the Mk2, which had a very tight turning circle by comparison and no wheel drag at full lock, but the Mk2 is significantly bigger than the Mk1.

The Mk4's turning is somewhere in between.

my ph1 1.3cdx had a great turning circle and that was with SR wheels on too and minimal drag. 

You could be right, it may be worth looking into the caster angle - Ackermann steering allows the inner wheel to turn more sharply than the outer.  Do you know if the steering racks are the same though? I would have assumed they would be

thanks

Hasan

I assumed they'd be the same too but then someone said the Mk4 has different racks depending on whether it has 15, 16 or 17 inch rims (Which I still find hard to believe they'd go to that trouble!), so I guess it's possible.

That said I am fairly sure the jappy Mk1s ones have a different rack to the french ones, as the french have electric PAS while the jappy ones have the nicer hydraulic PAS.

Hmm, that might account for the difference in turning circles, since my D4D was a jappy-built like the T-Sports...!

Ah yes, i think you're right on the money there!  Oh well, just need to adapt to the 'I cant even park a small car' approach!

Apparently it's all in the handbrake...

:laugh: 

• Haha 1

Not that I know this on the Yaris, but there are often differences in the suspension between normal and sports versions of cars. Beefed up suspension may not allow the same travel for the wheels to turn. It's possible that could be the difference, rather than the steering rack.

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

Apparently it's all in the handbrake...

:laugh: 

I'll try some of those next time 😉

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, paul9 said:

Not that I know this on the Yaris, but there are often differences in the suspension between normal and sports versions of cars. Beefed up suspension may not allow the same travel for the wheels to turn. It's possible that could be the difference, rather than the steering rack.

good point.  If i had my old yaris i could have done a side by side comparison. 

• Like 1

It's a t sport designed as a lukewarm hatch - more than likely has a lock stop in the rack to stop the wheels rubbing the arches, or it has a different ratio rack (aka quick rack - 2 to 2 1/2 turns lock to lock)

https://media.toyota.co.uk/vehicles/yaris-t-sport-archive-2001/

• Like 1

I suspect it is the rack just because my D4D had a similarly oddly rubbish turning circle, although the T-Sport might have been even worse because of the wider tyres (Going from 205s to 185s had a noticeable tightning of the turning circle of my Mk4!), and both the T-Sport and D4D were made in japan and had hydraulic racks.

3 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

I'll try some of those next time 😉

Just be aware of a few things I found when I totally didn't try either of these things in my old D4D when I was a lot younger :whistling1:

1) Pivoting the car on the locked rear wheels is really hard unless you have more weight over the rear wheels (like some equally irresponsible friends), as the Yaris is so light at the back the fronts just drag the locked rear wheels along the ground

2) It turns out the first two can only be done if the car has an LSD otherwise you mostly just get a 'one-tyre-fire' :laugh:  

Disclaimer: These manoeuvres were performed by professionals and/or idiots and shouldn't be done by anyone valuing the current shape and dimensions of their car.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links