Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Avensis removing fuel

Rhi

My car has been written off (typically with a full tank of fuel 😭) Tried to remove the fuel with a syphon pump but nothing was happening. Lifted the backseat and exposed the fuel pump/sender. Now what do I do? Please help!!!

image.jpg

Yeah, the filler neck in most modern cars has an anti-siphon thingy in it to stop people stealing fuel.

On the sender, that big outer ring unscrews and unlocks the fuel sender unit, allowing it to be pulled up (Warning - Petrol will likely go everywhere so have a bucket or basin handy!); If it's metal the usual ad-hoc way to remove it is to put a solid bit of wood against one of the flanges and gently tap it round, as it's usually too tight to undo by hand. There is a proper tool for it tho'. I don't know a similar method if it's made of plastic as that method will just break it; I've only removed a fuel sender once myself and it was a totally different setup (A bazillion screws holding it in).

There are some youtube videos where people make a tool to unscrew it if you're feeling creative!

That said, you may be able to siphon the fuel out of one of those tubes without removing the sender, as one is the fuel line and the other the return (I assume).

What fuel does/did your car use - petrol or diesel? If petrol make sure the working area is well vented and away from possible ignition sources. Treat diesel the same to a lesser degree.
What spec is the car? Depending on the damage, your car can be a parts goldmine. The wheels if alloy and reasonable condition will sell. I could go on. 
I would be gutted if my car was written off. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links