Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fault or operator stupidity?

Leo23

Just bought a Yaris SR 1.33 (2013).  Not sure if this is a fault or designed in.   When accelerating up hill, when the engine is under strain, at exactly the same time as the “shift up” light illuminates I get a sensation of the clutch slipping, revs increase but speed doesnt.   Is this a designed in feature to make me change gear or a clutch fault?   Mainly happens in 3rd gear.   Tested for clutch slippage by trying to set off in second gear with the parking brake on and no sign of clutch slippage then.

Is it me not knowing some designed in feature of a fault I need to get fixed by a garage.   Excuse my ignorance, last Yaris didnt do this but it did not not a shift up warning either so I am wondering if this is my lack of knowledge or a fault? 

Anyone experienced this?

Edited by Leo23
Typo

Moved to the Yaris forum.

2 hours ago, Leo23 said:

I get a sensation of the clutch slipping, revs increase but speed doesnt.

So is it a 'sensation' or do you actually see the rev counter rise and not the speedometer?

If it is just a sensation then it could well be the engine going into a different sounding mode which is fooling you.

What colour is the brake fluid ? Do the clutch test in 3rd or 4th

is it a 2009 mk2 as per your profile or 2013 Mk3 as in your post ?? what's the mileage ?

Its a 2013 (just upgraded from the 2009 model on my profile).  

Its relatively low milage, 54,000.   

Did the clutch test as you suggested in 3rd and 4th.  No slippage.   

The brake fluid is perfectly clear.  

This has really got me stumped.  

what happens going up hill, and you give it more rpm ? Are you changing up too soon and losing momentum iirc the gearbox ratios are different between the models

I have just been for another drive, definitely changing gear at time, I am an experienced driver, just not used to this car, plus it has a light telling you to change gear.   Its not a loss of momentum between gears as I do a normal gear change.  The rev counter shows an increase revs and I can hear the revs go up but the speed doesnt go up.  I cant see this being a built in feature but want to be sure as a new clutch is £600!

Does it always do it around the same RPM? Maybe the SR versions have VTEC! :laugh: 

It might just be that 1.33 engine?, the 1.5 that replaced it was a massive improvement on it.

• Like 1

If you can see and hear the revs increase and the road speed does not then it has to clutch slippage (or the wheels spinning).

I have the 1.33 in the Auris and the engine tone can definitely alter under heavy load.

Is it a big increase in revs you are seeing? 

And just re reading the way you phrased something in an earlier post:

4 hours ago, Leo23 said:

Its not a loss of momentum between gears as I do a normal gear change.  The rev counter shows an increase revs and I can hear the revs go up but the speed doesnt go up.

I can read that as the revs increase when I change down to third (as they should) and the road speed stays the same at that instant (which is normal of course) and from then on the road speed doesn't increase any more... which might be because the hill is to steep to accelerate up in the 1.33 at those revs. The 1.33 loves to rev (imo) and it lacks torque at lower revs but once you get it in 3.5 to 6k region it will really fly along when needed and reward with economy when not needed.

• Like 3

Are you used to driving a much older car? I had a similar problem, it's called 'revs hanging'. It means the revs don't die immediately on releasing the throttle, but 'hang'. Apparently, it's an emission control solution.

• Like 1

Certainly sounds like clutch slip, the change up light is coming on as the revs are increasing due to clutch slip, so the system thinks its time to go up a gear.

Would be helpful if you could have a drive in similar vehicle Leo to compare.

What make are the front tires and what is the date code on them

On 8/21/2022 at 4:18 PM, Leo23 said:

When accelerating up hill, when the engine is under strain, at exactly the same time as the “shift up” light illuminates I get a sensation of the clutch slipping, revs increase but speed doesnt.

If I'm driving up a steep hill in my Mk2 1.33 manual, the revs match the current speed, decreasing with speed and increasing when down shifting. Seems odd that the shift up light illuminates when the engine is under strain and presumably the car is slowing down. If there's no clutch slippage, I'd check the tyres as stated in the previous post.

My old Mk1 1.0 had a failing clutch and the burning odour inside the cabin was very noticeable when it slipped whilst climbing steep hills.

Likely to be a characteristic of the car engine combo. Just drive it as usual and don’t pay attention to the shift light but enjoy your drive. If anything abnormal is happening you will get the nasty smell of burning clutch, difficulties shifting gears or going uphill, until then no need to replace anything unless obviously worn out. In Auris forum there was a post from member with same engine car and he complained about the car losses power going uphill on 3 gear then on second gear , something might be similar to yours but search thing here is not user friendly and I can’t find it for you, if you have time and you want to try find it it’s in Auris from earlier this year. 
Good luck 

it may have issues with the dual VVTi

this will kill the power under load

flush - oil and filter change with the correct grade oil, i wonder if It's still on its original spark plugs as it's around this age they changed the plugs heat range

Pull the vvti solenoids and clean them

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links