Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just changed front brakes and pads on my 2014 hybrid estate and noticed my anti-rollbar is missing

mushrooom

Drop links are there but nothing else 

Anyone got any pics of how it should look down there ?

antinowherebar.jpg

• Confused 2

Yikes! How did that happen?? :eek: 

Nearly had something like that happen to me when I changed the droplinks on my old Yaris - Apparently we didn't tighten up the ARB brackets enough when we put them back! (It was a massive PITA to get the polybush droplinks in - had to loosen the whole ARB!) 

Then every time I went over a bump that CLONK! sound could be heard :laugh: 

Maybe something similar happened to yours, i.e. the brackets came/rusted off and the whole bar just fell off?? (Surely someone wouldn't have nicked an ARB...!! :eek: )

I just contacted the previous owner. He said maybe it fell off.

I said well it's still got the nuts on the end of the ball joints so I doubt it

It's an ex taxi and the previous owner's family owned their own garage and did all the work themselves

I've no idea where to get all the bits to put it right. Surely that's an MOT fail ?

1 hour ago, mushrooom said:

I just contacted the previous owner. He said maybe it fell off.

I said well it's still got the nuts on the end of the ball joints so I doubt it

It's an ex taxi and the previous owner's family owned their own garage and did all the work themselves

I've no idea where to get all the bits to put it right. Surely that's an MOT fail ?

Lol that’s not only a not failure but also unsafe to drive like that. You will need two bushes check if there are bushes brackets present and the stabiliser bar . All parts from Toyota or aftermarket buy pick quality ones like blueprint or first line. The bar you may buy used one but the rest get new. Links may also need replacing. Unbelievable to remove vital suspension parts and called it everything it’s fine 🙈

• Like 2

Still can't find anywhere that shows how they are fitted 

There's this one on ebay 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mushrooom said:

There's this one on ebay 

s-l1600.jpg

Here this website you can get part numbers and see locations. 
https://japancars.ru/index.php?route=catalog/toyota&mdf_id=12241&area=EU&cat=166520&blk_id=4803

• Like 2

Surely you can see where the brackets were attached to.

Taken off is my bet mayby its not just cat on somebodys shopping list. 

• Like 1

I'll get back underneath it in the morning and see whats missing

I'm hoping all the mounting and cover plates are still there

Thanks for the link

23 minutes ago, mushrooom said:

I'll get back underneath it in the morning and see whats missing

I'm hoping all the mounting and cover plates are still there

Thanks for the link

Here in my car where these parts are located., your one should be similar or same. The bar is covered with plastic cover and the bushes brackets are thick metal parts with large bolts fitted. Red arrows on picture. 
image.thumb.jpeg.ff86bfcec8caf454821b115585d898d8.jpeg

• Like 3

I did check out the ARB bushes on our 2013 car (same model as yours, but hatchback) some years ago.  

Following on from Tony's shot - in this picture below, the front of the car is towards the top, this is the drivers side.  The red arrows show part of the ARB, the yellow arrow is pointing to a locating nipple (in rubber) of the ARB bush, set in a square hole.  The plate around that nipple needs to come off to access the bush.  It's a heavy plate with big bolts as it's also attaching the subframe.

Some of the ARB runs unseen left/right across the picture, roughly underneath the yellow arrow, towards an identical, mirror setup, on the other side of the car.

I think one of the bolts pictured is threaded into a welded-in nut, deep in hefty not-quite-watertight subframe box section, so rust can make make removing it stiff, or worse, depending on how much water has got onto it.

Hopefully this'll help a bit, if it's not too late!

Auris ARB.jpg

• Like 3

This is the setup 

Drop link.jpg

Edited by Parts-King
  • Like 1

I thought it was usually the catalytic converters that disappeared all of their own accord? :confused1:

MOT fail for sure with that amount of play in the drop links 😉

it must handle like a 3 wheeled shopping trolley, it will need an alignment that's for sure, IMHO do the drop links as well

the Arb and steering rack both bolt to the sub frame, it doesn't just "drop off"

iirc the ARB is sandwiched by the 2 parts of the subframe

edit.

Click to enlarge

1359356667_AurisARB.thumb.jpg.542c9228a0df3d524d01971ca5d7f1d2.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mushrooom said:

There's this one on ebay 

s-l1600.jpg

That's a rear anti roll bar the listing is incorrect

a quick look on the epc shows 48811-02300.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284193218835

the bars are all the same, the bushes are different 2012-18

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, flash22 said:

That's a rear anti roll bar the listing is incorrect

a quick look on the epc shows 48811-02300.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284193218835

the bars are all the same, the bushes are different 2012-18

Actually that's not for a hybrid, I think I've found the right one now, the first one was for a golf, it had VAG part numbers on it

This should be the right one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203558568622?fits=Cars+Year%3A2014|Model%3AAuris&hash=item2f650942ae%3Ag%3AKVoAAOSw52phFVdT&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAsPRyo%2FnpBwzmHkmTboGxaW8W9GIQ2ggicCkidCkH%2F%2FrMMBHq9zeSIVGUJRfGH6lDaFWIz%2FJA5YRlZ9y0auib6H86ro0ebCPRCUnwk5l6DAtZLjP4ZW1WE1pEbyDKBg8wk1DnnxIv025Tzu%2BDwt4jqB4wXCwq%2FSF8sFOz7Up4YSOKoCv8jWgcOXEP%2BeYccADxZBU24gQ%2Fh%2FbsnkFd5EANAx4q3LjElRicXKFo7QTSEdZg|tkp%3ABk9SR9zbnLjbYA&LH_ItemCondition=4

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mushrooom said:

This should be the right one

I'm no expert, but it looks good to me.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

it must handle like a 3 wheeled shopping trolley,

I did experiment some years back on the family Mazda 6 and an MX5 (NC) - with a deliberately disabled (but not removed) front ARB.  I drove both of them for a few months like that. 

It's personal taste, obviously, but I quite liked the change. On the Mazda 6 it was like fitting very high-sidewall tyres.  It was definitely more comfortable, particularly over offset speed bumps (predictably).  Like driving a car from 25 years ago.

The MX5 difference was similar to the 6, but became more prone to oversteer, which also makes sense.

If it wasn't for the MoT I wouldn't have minded leaving it that way.  Wouldn't suit everyone though.  But, here in Bedfordshire my local roads are now like a recently demilitarized area, and that's just the better ones.

2 minutes ago, Gerg said:

I'm no expert, but it looks good to me.

I did experiment some years back on the family Mazda 6 and an MX5 (NC) - with a deliberately disabled (but not removed) front ARB.  I drove both of them for a few months like that. 

It's personal taste, obviously, but I quite liked the change. On the Mazda 6 it was like fitting very high-sidewall tyres.  It was definitely more comfortable, particularly over offset speed bumps (predictably).  Like driving a car from 25 years ago.

The MX5 difference was similar to the 6, but became more prone to oversteer, which also makes sense.

If it wasn't for the MoT I wouldn't have minded leaving it that way.  Wouldn't suit everyone though.  But, here in Bedfordshire my local roads are now like a recently demilitarized area, and that's just the better ones.

I think that an absent anti roll bar may be ok for the mot, it can only fail on bad links or bushes which a lack of anti toll bad doesn’t have. It may be worth asking an MOT person. I would like know too.

The roll bars are the same for all models

that one from JAP spares is bent

36 minutes ago, Crustyoldavensis said:

I think that an absent anti roll bar may be ok for the mot, it can only fail on bad links or bushes which a lack of anti toll bad doesn’t have. It may be worth asking an MOT person. I would like know too.

Yes, I believe you're right.  I think I investigated this at the time (about 10 years ago), If you remove everything related to the ARB then that would likely pass, but if there just a part missing, then it would fail.

The aggravation would have been removing the ARB itself, which might have meant dropping other suspension parts to give clearance, all that for something that's just a bit of an experiment. (As someone seems to have done on the OP's car!)

• Like 1

Watching the price of it, no wonder someone has decided to remove instead of replace as seems easier and cheaper way, especially for those "great fleet" taxi companies. Wonder what more surprises can have this car., hopefully non. 👍

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Watching the price of it, no wonder someone has decided to remove instead of replace as seems easier and cheaper way, especially for those "great fleet" taxi companies. Wonder what more surprises can have this car., hopefully non. 👍

All that i can say is it was cheap  (£3800 a few months back for a 240,000 mile ex taxi ) it drives really nice and we're really happy with it 😄

Not seen another one so cheap  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mushrooom said:

All that i can say is it was cheap  (£3800 a few months back for a 240,000 mile ex taxi ) it drives really nice and we're really happy with it 😄

Not seen another one so cheap  

That is a good deal indeed . 👍 All the things you can sort it and enjoy hybrid for less 👌

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links