Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smashed wing mirror

Merlin5

Hi everyone. I just clipped a car and smashed the left wing mirror. I can fortunately still see what's in my wing mirror view but obviously need to replace it. The silver cover came off too but I found it on the road and clipped it back on, it's just a bit grazed.

Which is the best place to get the replacement glass that will have the correct clips on the back? I don't know if Toyota has a reasonable price or if I should try europarts or maybe eBay?

EDIT: I just called Jemca Toyota dealer in Edgware Road and was told £74 plus vat. He then said he could drop it to £64 plus vat. Too much.  I'm hoping I can get a good copy of it for half that or less.

20220921_155359.jpg

Best Buy is used original mirror, even different colour not a problem. I did changed perviously on the same car and bought aftermarket mirror, was a disaster, returned straightaway. Then bought oem used one fitted perfectly and worked as should. eBay or local car breaker. 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Best Buy is used original mirror, even different colour not a problem. I did changed perviously on the same car and bought aftermarket mirror, was a disaster, returned straightaway. Then bought oem used one fitted perfectly and worked as should. EBay or local car breaker. 👍

Thanks Tony. Do you mean the whole unit or just the mirror? I think I'd struggle to get a whole unit which happens to be silver.  

Going off the info given, it is the electric/heated glass with a tint

87909-02740

• Like 1

The whole unit. You will need to remove the door card to install it. I bought from eBay it was back in 2018 and there were few available at the time. You can paint it with spray afterwards if you mind the colour difference, but the aftermarket ones are really bad. Firstly didn’t fit well, secondly the glass itself couldn’t adjust properly, not enough angle movement, just not up to the job. , perhaps ok if you are selling the car.
You can look at this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155171175306?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=I70s78DKQ0-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 🙂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

The whole unit. You will need to remove the door card to install it. I bought from eBay it was back in 2018 and there were few available at the time. You can paint it with spray afterwards if you mind the colour difference, but the aftermarket ones are really bad. Firstly didn’t fit well, secondly the glass itself couldn’t adjust properly, not enough angle movement, just not up to the job. , perhaps ok if you are selling the car.
You can look at this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155171175306?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=I70s78DKQ0-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 🙂

Nice, thanks. Silver as well! I was thinking of just getting the mirror but might as well buy that whole unit. My car is a 2007 1.6 VVTi TR I believe. eBay says the part is compatible, I just wanted to check with you if you think it'll be ok since it doesn't mention TR or VVTi?

I've taken off the card you mentioned, well actually, it almost fell off and I can't clip it back on very securely so had probably been off before.  Do I just remove the three nuts and the wing mirror unit will come away from the door? Also, I notice in the eBay photo, there's a white plug at the end of the grey wire.  That looks like I'd have to remove the whole door panel, unless I can remove that wire from the replacement unit and connect the unit to the existing wire already in my door?

Screenshot_20220921-191426_Opera.jpg

20220921_190607.jpg

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Going off the info given, it is the electric/heated glass with a tint

87909-02740

Thanks Bob. It's electric in that I can adjust it from the interior joystick but not heated or tinted. Do I need to disconnect the Battery when replacing it?

Yes, you need to remove the door panel too to disconnect the wire harness. A plastic interior tools will be helpful. Make sure you don’t break the plastic film all around the door, heat up a bit the glue with hair dryer then pull off one side to work and then reattach the plastic film seal. Here for the tools 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223602701310?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GcNRS7NGRTW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes, you need to remove the door panel too to disconnect the wire harness. A plastic interior tools will be helpful. Make sure you don’t break the plastic film all around the door, heat up a bit the glue with hair dryer then pull off one side to work and then reattach the plastic film seal. Here for the tools 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223602701310?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=GcNRS7NGRTW&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=p34UK1z2T4m&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Hmm, that makes it a lot of hassle. Got to be easier just to replace the cracked glass bit?

1 minute ago, Merlin5 said:

Hmm, that makes it a lot of hassle. Got to be easier just to replace the cracked glass bit?

No, it’s super easy job. Toyota doesn’t have hassle working on 😊👍

• Like 1

Shame it's not just the glass? the mark 3 Yaris was super easy, pull glass part out and take both wires out, got the glass from the dealers at the time but when they said £25 to fit though have go myself.

• Like 1

The glass unclips, tilt the mirror in at the top and use a trim tool at the bottom to pop it off remove the 2 wires

there are only 2 types of mirror glass, if it's electric it will be heated (comes on with the rear defrost button)

PM me your VIN and I can give you the correct part numbers

11 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Shame it's not just the glass? the mark 3 Yaris was super easy, pull glass part out and take both wires out, got the glass from the dealers at the time but when they said £25 to fit though have go myself.

Yes, it is just the glass that is broken and easy to replace. It was hanging loose after I damaged it and I saw the two wires attached behind which will be easy to disconnect. I also took note of the clips around the back of it and gently pushed the glass back until it clicked into place. But Jemca, my nearest Toyota dealer, quoted me £74 + vat for that part!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

The glass unclips, tilt the mirror in at the top and use a trim tool at the bottom to pop it off remove the 2 wires

there are only 2 types of mirror glass, if it's electric it will be heated (comes on with the rear defrost button)

PM me your VIN and I can give you the correct part numbers

Thanks Bob. Where do I find my VIN number? Do I need the VIN  number if I'm looking on eBay or at a breakers for a replacement glass part? Because I don't really want to buy from Toyota if I can help it as they charge too much.

I'm not aware of my wing mirrors being able to heat up but I could be wrong. The mirrors don't pull themselves in when the car is parked up and I push them in manually to protect them. I think the only electric ability they have is angling them with the joystick.

VIN under passenger wiper blade in small window on the windscreen. Or front door shut labels. , or in your logbook. 👍

• Like 1

A Vin means i can find the oem number, then cross-reference that to the aftermarket

It was hanging loose after I damaged it and I saw the two wires attached behind which will be easy to disconnect. I also took note of the clips around the back of it and gently pushed the glass back until it clicked into place

That's the wires for the heated mirror

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

VIN under passenger wiper blade in small window on the windscreen. Or front door shut labels. , or in your logbook. 👍

Excellent. Many thanks Tony. 

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

A Vin means i can find the oem number, then cross-reference that to the aftermarket

That's the wires for the heated mirror

Aha, well I never knew that. I thought the wires were just for angling the mirror. Nice to know I can heat ice off them in the winter!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links