Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prado tried to start itself in the middle of the night

Gary Coffs Coast

Hi, my Prado 150 series Kakadu in the middle of the night tried to start itself. You could hear it trying to start over and over again. It nearly started and then went back to trying again. The Battery went flat and the alarm started going off and all the lights as well as dash lights were flickering etc.

I disconnected the Battery and charged it overnight.

In the morning when connecting the Battery alarms went off, dash lights going crazy and then suddenly the vehicle actually started on its own and even more weird I couldn't switch it off by pressing the on/off start button.

Smoke started coming from the engine and I presume it was fuses blowing and possibly cables burning, in a flat panic I pulled the leads off the battery and after a short time the vehicle cut out.

What a drama. The vehicle is only 6 years old and I suppose Toyota will nt help as its past the 5 year warranty.

Im hoping for some answers as I would be nervous driving the vehicle again if it gets repaired in the event it happens again.

Cheers Gary...ps you are welcome to email me on savutechobe@gmail.com

• 5 months later...

Hi @Gary Coffs Coast, did you ever resolve this issue? very strange one. 

Sounds like a big electrical fault

Yip thankfully problem was solved. Water dripped through the firewall via a cable installed a while back for the electronic towing brake system. The water had to land on the exact connectors linked to the wireless start system which caused it to tey and self start. Thankfully a great auto electrician sorted ot in 2 days🙏

• Like 1

glad you sorted it..never heard of this before and was really curious to what caused it. makes sense. Good job your guy could find it so you can feel confident with the vehicle would not do it again.

Thanks Steve. Pretty confident its all sorted now🙂

• 6 months later...

My 2017 Prado has just done the exact same thing 1125pm at night I've disconnected the Battery and will try to start it again in the morning.

Has rained all day travelled 800klm today sounds like I may have the same issue.

Darrell 

Hi Darrell . Sounds like exactally the same as the issue I had.

Water seeping through a grommet in the firewall onto the white plug.

Had plug replaced and re located.

Cheers Gary

• 2 months later...
On 10/4/2023 at 9:41 AM, Gary Coffs Coast said:

Hi Darrell . Sounds like exactally the same as the issue I had.

Water seeping through a grommet in the firewall onto the white plug.

Had plug replaced and re located.

Cheers Gary

Sounds like it is a common issue, mine has done the same overnight. Have you got any idea of where this module or connection is located. Many thanks for your help

Heath

Hi Heath it's up above the brake pedal and a bit to the left.  If you have had aftermarket wiring put through the fire wall they haven't sealed it properly and water seeps along the cable onto the plug. I had my plug moved slightly away to prevent it happening again.

Screenshot_20221027-150218_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.2cdd02bd732fbf19df5b3193376d01b1.jpgScreenshot_20221027-150218_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.2cdd02bd732fbf19df5b3193376d01b1.jpg Cheers Gary

• 3 weeks later...

My 2014 Prado had exactly the same issue after driving through a torrential downpour in Oct. 2020.  Activated Starter Motor about an hour after parking the car. Removed Starter Relay & left it out for a day, until the Auto Electrician could inspect. By the time the Auto Electrician could look at it, the fault wouldn't repeat. 2 years later (with no issues), I pressure cleaned the car after hitting some tracks & in the middle of the night (5hrs later), Starter Motor activates itself again. Removed Relay again & left it out for the day, no fault when Relay refitted. 1 year later (Jan. 2024) driving home after spending a week on wet beaches at Fraser Island due to storms & driving through another heavy downpour on the highway, Traction Control Light comes on, followed by Engine Warning Light & then loss of Instrument Panel Backlight. Pull car over to investigate & notice a slight whirring sound. Turn off the engine to inspect, can't see anything visually wrong & then when I go to start the car, No Start. Car goes home on tow truck & I inspect the next day. Starter Motor has detonated itself in a manner, that I can only explain as, engaging itself whilst we were driving (see pic). Replaced the Starter Motor & car starts, no warning lights, Instrument backlight okay.  Came across the below Youtube link & this Forum & hopefully problem now resolved. Water ingress into White Electrical Plug, taped up in Wiring Harness, Drivers side, where wires come through Grommet in Firewall above & to the right of the Accelerator Pedal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE5Qft-eQIQ

20240103_175825[1].jpg

20240105_184751[1].jpg

20240105_174405[1].jpg

20240105_164600[1].jpg

20240105_164532[1].jpg

• Like 1

Hi Gindi, out of interest did you have any aftermarket accessories fitted where they have gone through the firewall.  It seems like this is the main cause of all these attemted self starting issues.  Auto electricians should ensure they spend a bit more time making sure that the holes through the forewall are sealed 100%. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links