Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Lost FM and DAB signal when heated rear window is switched on

Colin Baillie

Recently purchased a one year old Toyota CHR GR Sport. With the change in the weather I had occasion to use the heated rear window for the first time since purchased. When I switched it on the signal to the radio was lost on both FM and DAB stations. Fine on AM. 
Is this considered a fault (that should be covered by warranty) or just down to poor signal ?  My thinking is that the signal doesn’t deteriorate but disappears completely which doesn’t feel right.
Toyota want £109 for a diagnosis which will not be refunded if no fault is found.

Thoughts please.

Oh dear... that can't be right!?

If you recently bought it, I would expect the seller to fix it, free, unless it was privately bought? 

Well it isn't Toyota who are charging the diagnostic fee, but the dealer. The diagnostic fee is standard practice for most dealers, regardless of car marque. 

It's not an unknown phenomenon, my Avensis has the aerial in the rear screen and it does it too.

A quick Google gave me this.

2 clip on ferrites as close to the radio on the dab and FM aerial cables

Search eBay for TDK clip on ferrite either 3-5mm or 4-7mm

that should stop the RFI from the heated screen

Has the dealer warranty run out.

Check airial booster its inside tail gate look for corrosion of contacts you can also fit a tempory ground wire to see if it helps.

Check for Battery voltage supply to booster amp but you may have to fit a new module.

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

Has the dealer warranty run out.

Check airial booster its inside tail gate look for corrosion of contacts you can also fit a tempory ground wire to see if it helps.

Check for battery voltage supply to booster amp but you may have to fit a new module.

CH-R has a shark's fin on the roof, the amp is built in to the base - high current circuit run near an RF coax (Poorly shielded) just picks up RFI/EMI and overwhelms the SDR

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links