Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cone filter on the MK2 T sport?

SlidewaysOnly

I bought the Tsport as my first car and want to do a couple small mods to it, the first being the air filter, I soon realised that a old trusty cone filter might not be possible due to the housing, as it has the MAF sensor connected to the housing , any suggestions?

Don't do it, it will just make noise, it will make zero gains without supporting mod's and remap, if anything it will make it run rich

insurance will be very expensive on a 1.5 TS for a new driver (group 15) modified even more, yes you need to declare any mods, you will get screwed if you don't and lose that licence

I know the K&N typhoon kits were popular with some T-Sport owners here back in the day; They replace some of the intake pipework and come with an aluminium pipe with a hole that you have to transfer the MAF sensor to.

Ken and Natalie are not great with MAF's as they flow more air and the filter mesh lets through too many particles

imho a TS for a new driver isn't going to end well

Should be fine, the T-Sport Mk1 isn't so powerful to get a new driver in trouble - You really need to rag it to get the beans, and IMHO the Mk1 Yaris is a very good car for a new driver as it teaches you how to drive as it's set up to understeer so early, and you learn to feel the road, esp. the jappy ones with hydraulic steering. The car's old enough the insurance rating won't matter much if at all; One of the T-Sport's advantages has always been it's a lot cheaper to insure than e.g. a Fiesta ST.

I'd take it any day over some of the other New Driver vehicles I've seen around (Giant hausfrauenpanzer SUVs with L-plates or, worse, P-plates! Seriously, why is that a thing now?! It almost makes me want the car licence process to be more like the motorcycle one...!)

On 11/6/2022 at 8:14 PM, Cyker said:

I'd take it any day over some of the other New Driver vehicles I've seen around (Giant hausfrauenpanzer SUVs with L-plates or, worse, P-plates! Seriously, why is that a thing now?! It almost makes me want the car licence process to be more like the motorcycle one...!)

Definitely! I've got a Corrado as well (hence the username!) which is really small and the number of times I've had to avoid these dumb SUV drivers because they couldn't (be bothered to) see me is crazy. Worst is when they can hardly even see over the dash themselves!

Anyway...

Back on topic - I would suggest getting used to the driving characteristics of the car, and then look at mods. For example, it may be better to fit an uprated rear ARB to help get around corners quicker. 

• Like 1

That does seem to be one of the most popular things to do - When I first joined this forum, it seemed like half the threads for the Yaris and Corolla T-Sport owners were about getting a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar fitted :laugh: 

If you want to go fast, sort out the suspension, brakes and tires first before adding power, if you ask anyone with knowledge and have been modifying cars for any amount of time they know what works and what is just a placebo

before you modify anything, learn to drive for real, it's very different from learning to pass a test

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

That does seem to be one of the most popular things to do - When I first joined this forum, it seemed like half the threads for the Yaris and Corolla T-Sport owners were about getting a Whiteline rear anti-roll bar fitted :laugh: 

I came into this too late to be a part of that unfortunately.😟

My tsport is completely standard apart from the recaro seats,the full cage roll bar, the coil overs with adjustable shocks, the race profile cam,the straight through race exhaust, the strut brace, rerouted and polished inlet manifold, stronger valve springs with enlarged ports,oh and the 18 inchers with chrome spinners.

I don't want to go over the top with this, so would I be well advised to avoid the urban camo paint wrap?

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, corradovr6 said:

it may be better to fit an uprated rear ARB to help get around corners quicker. 

I recall fitting spring assisters to the back of an Austin Maxi, that stiffened up the back end. The improved 'turn in' was impressive.

12 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I came into this too late to be a part of that unfortunately.😟

My tsport is completely standard apart from the recaro seats,the full cage roll bar, the coil overs with adjustable shocks, the race profile cam,the straight through race exhaust, the strut brace, rerouted and polished inlet manifold, stronger valve springs with enlarged ports,oh and the 18 inchers with chrome spinners.

I don't want to go over the top with this, so would I be well advised to avoid the urban camo paint wrap?

Excellent! Forget the wrap just get some go-faster stripes 🙂

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links