Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Oil Change T27 Avensis Estate 1.8 Petrol

NeilAvensisT

it better not to touch it, if you are board you can do other things in the car to make it run better. don't mess with the gearbox.

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

Oil can last a long time if it's within tolerance.

Engine oil needs frequent change because it's constantly subjected to extreme temperature differences and gets contaminated with fuel and combustion gases.

Gear oil has a much easier life as it's in a closed system, and as long as it doesn't get overheated, will last much longer as it just has to lubricate. It will need changing eventually depending on the quality of the oil and how well the gearbox is designed tho', but this can also cause problems (I still have a strong suspicion they used the wrong oil in my Mk2 which was partly responsible for it failing...).

It's riskiest in wet clutch systems, as a lot of the clutch material can end up in the oil, where it still allows them to function properly, but when it's drained and replaced the gearbox ends up failing because the clutch packs no longer have sufficient clutch material to work properly and burn out, requiring the clutch pack to be refurbished!

I've asked my local toyota dealer how much would it cost to replace the gear box oil in my car, the've quoted me £90 (VAT included). I'm thinking to go for it but I would like them to confirm which oil are they going to use first to avoid the same what happened to you. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 8:49 AM, avensis_2018 said:

it better not to touch it, if you are board you can do other things in the car to make it run better. don't mess with the gearbox.

Do You work at Toyota service and have some leftover gearboxes which You can't sell because people change gearbox oil? 😄

Ontopic: I changed mine gearbox oil and shifting went much much smoother after that. Old oil was black and Toyota service guy recommend to change oil at some point.

Mileage was about 110k kilometers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I paid to get mine done by my local Toyota dealer in December. Car is 4.5 years old and around 65,000 miles at that stage - slightly overdue. Not sure if it's only the 1WW BMW diesel engines but a service schedule I found for the 1.6D4D BMW engine Auris did stage 60,000 or every 4 years. However.. the same guide also cited 'differential fluid change' which doesn't apply to any of these cars (maybe for RAV4s with the same engine??). 

For £100 I let them do it as it was one of those jobs that in theory is simple, drain, seal, refill until it spills... but having to lift the car up to get under it (at an angle), have it leak out or risk not draining all of the old stuff out, never really knowing if I truly filled it right (too little...too much?), I thought on my car being as young as it is, was worth paying them to do it. They assured me any fluids they use are Toyota ordered and packaged bottles - no running to the motor factors like some dealers admit to doing for a compatible spec third party fluid.  Peace of mind... 

I'm led to believe that any 'lifetime' fluids are also lies, (Scotty Kilmer, c. 2015 - 2023) lol. as he would say, 'oil is cheap, transmissions are NOT'. I say do it, if you can do it yourself and are confident it can be cheap enough. I think it's about £40-£50 to get the fluid from a Toyota dealer for DIY.  Over time those infrequent 'bad gear changes' we do where the car jolts, or the sound of clashes make your spine shiver... surely add up into a bit of metallic flake in the oil. If not that, the constant cooking and cooling of it breaking it down as already mentioned also justified a change every 4 years. 

If your car is 10+ years old, never had it changed, and a faulty gearbox or having to suddenly replace bearings etc (and you have no facility, or interest or garage to do it yourself) then sure, leave it and pray. But it wouldn't stop me, did it on my 2005 Panda all the same in 2016. I'm all for throwing parts at older cars, because if you love the car it's satisfying to invest in it and learn a bit about it 🙂 peace of mind is priceless 

• Like 1

One of the first things I did for my Yaris and Avensis, about 4 years ago. Though I only did a partial change, used a large syringe to suck it out. Had to force it in, used a large syringe with a funnel over the syringe. Though I have heard if you heat the oil it is easier to do. 

I cannot get a eBay link of the oil, as product history only goes to 2021.

From memory it was gl4 and gl5, so I get the best of both worlds. But no gear problems for 4 years. 

If you do a full change you are more brave then me, but I would recommend that you keep the old oil, just in case. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links