Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Summer, winter or all season tyres

RHYSF00

30 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

You probably already know, with winters you would need to get a set of steel wheels to go with it. Cost wise it's probably not worth it if you don't plan to keep the car for at least 3-4 years. I would suggest just get all season tyres in your position. 

Didnt know that. 

Unless you know a tyre place which charge a really low fee to swap them over every six months then it's best to get a set of steel wheels. This means u can learn how to change the wheels yourself with a good jack and nut wrench. This only cost the investment of a trolley jack and nut wrench. I have a 2 ton trolley jack (£20 I think) and a cheap nut wrench (£5 I think) from 20 years ago, still works. 

No cost to swap the wheels over and get a nice satisfaction you can do it yourself and have great tyres for the climate. 

So all season are probably the best option for now. In the future when you are in a better financial position and intend to keep the car for a good few years then winters and steel wheels will be a good investment, of course u need to have space to store a set of wheels. 

• Like 1

On a slight tangent, what do people feel about steel vs alloys for winter wheels?

I feel like steel rims would be far more vulnerable to salt corrosion than the alloys, but they are always the recommended rim for winter wheels!

My first few cars had steel wheels, I did not pay too much attention to them tbh, can't say I noticed too much rust. They are just a cheaper option as u know. Unless you have spare cash and want the alloy wheels looks. 

• Like 2

Ahh the cost reason, that one usually trumps everything else :laugh: 

On another tangent, I just discovered there is such a thing as a stainless steel rim! :eek: :g: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Unless you know a tyre place which charge a really low fee to swap them over every six months then it's best to get a set of steel wheels. This means u can learn how to change the wheels yourself with a good jack and nut wrench. This only cost the investment of a trolley jack and nut wrench. I have a 2 ton trolley jack (£20 I think) and a cheap nut wrench (£5 I think) from 20 years ago, still works. 

No cost to swap the wheels over and get a nice satisfaction you can do it yourself and have great tyres for the climate. 

So all season are probably the best option for now. In the future when you are in a better financial position and intend to keep the car for a good few years then winters and steel wheels will be a good investment, of course u need to have space to store a set of wheels. 

I know how to change a tyre. I may be young. I think looking at costs all season in june may be best. Had lost traction today moving off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

On a slight tangent, what do people feel about steel vs alloys for winter wheels?

I feel like steel rims would be far more vulnerable to salt corrosion than the alloys, but they are always the recommended rim for winter wheels!

Well Cyker, I won't be swapping about as I have said, but with steels you could rub the rust off and paint them yourself.

alloys are what ,at least £100 a corner for refurb, and without use of the car while they are done.

And that horrible graunching sound when you kerb one ,knowing you have just thrown away another £100.

The first owner of my Yaris had the original alloys replaced under warranty a couple of years in.

The Lexus is that I had came pre graunched and pre corroded on the wheel side of things, but I think we have just become so used to alloys appearance wise , that steels look wrong now on modern cars.

Didn't the "new" VW beetle have steels with a very good looking chrome hub cap?

It looked good on that car I reckon.

How about stainless steel wire spoked wheels on your MK4 ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Well Cyker, I won't be swapping about as I have said, but with steels you could rub the rust off and paint them yourself.

Alloys are what ,at least £100 a corner for refurb, and without use of the car while they are done.

And that horrible graunching sound when you kerb one ,knowing you have just thrown away another £100.

The first owner of my Yaris had the original alloys replaced under warranty a couple of years in.

The Lexus is that I had came pre graunched and pre corroded on the wheel side of things, but I think we have just become so used to alloys appearance wise , that steels look wrong now on modern cars.

Didn't the "new" VW beetle have steels with a very good looking chrome hub cap?

It looked good on that car I reckon.

How about stainless steel wire spoked wheels on your MK4 ?

You saying about a refrub. In spring im doing all my alloys myself

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RHYSF00 said:

You saying about a refrub. In spring im doing all my alloys myself

That's brilliant Rhys,if you can do them yourself, save cartloads of money, and I bet they will look good.

I've seen it done on wheeler dealers etc, and it looks a bit tricky, tyres off, stripping, filling and painting, to me anyway.

Do you have a garage and equipment to do all that?

Even if I was young, I don't think I would have the skills, so fair play to you.

Don't forget to put up before and after pics,if you can.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

That's brilliant Rhys,if you can do them yourself, save cartloads of money, and I bet they will look good.

I've seen it done on wheeler dealers etc, and it looks a bit tricky, tyres off, stripping, filling and painting, to me anyway.

Do you have a garage and equipment to do all that?

Even if I was young, I don't think I would have the skills, so fair play to you.

Don't forget to put up before and after pics,if you can.

I followthis video. Very useful. I do one at a time. My driverside been done. But didn't have right grit sand paper. But use simonz wheel silver. It a better colour to use. 

https://youtu.be/9WQiqYlpxoY

• Like 1

Good on you that u can give alloy wheels a refurbish. Alloy wheels for me, a good set makes the car stands out, though I would never go and buy a set to look nicer than what came with the car. 

After that, I don't really give a monkey if they get kerbed, eventually they will anyway living in a city. Will just sell as it is with the car, after all it's a used car. 

• Like 3

I must admit that's one of the reasons I switched to steel rims when I downsized to 15"'s - Care free handling!  Hit a pot hole? Don't care! Kerb the wheel? Don't care! :laugh:

It's so great and liberating not having that cringe whenever you accidentally do something that damages the alloys... because they aren't alloys! :biggrin: 

Whoever gets my car next will likely get a pristine set of 17" rims... can't guarantee that about the rest of the car tho'... :whistling1:

• Haha 2

Yeah the whole tyrereviews.com site is a great resource for tyre reviews by magazines, people and his own ones! :thumbsup: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links