Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Range and efficiency/consumption

bZ4xSupra

Best I got so far after charging 465km = 289miles

20230701_082148.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I never thought I would this high a predicted range!! 

20230721_104348.jpg

WOW indeed. That's 50% more than I have ever achieved. Mine's an AWD. What are you doing to achieve such a high range?

Strong tail wind or going down hill both ways? :laugh: 

From what I observed it calculates range from efficiency of the about last 1000km. Temp also a factor but not so much above 10C . I have been driving in daily  temperatures from 14 to 24C

Totally cool!  Thought I'd never see this!!!!😛

20230723_141112.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aiden1072 said:

I've been seeing the same high numbers on my FWD this summer. May to July the 100%  GOM range has been over 310 miles and the best was 323 miles. Of course, I have never achieved this actual range. However, the more you drive and understand your range, efficiency etc, the easier it becomes to get your charging strategy right on longer journeys. The new software upgrade has also made a big difference with the realistic adjustment in range when using A/C - gives confidence that you will not run out of charge too quickly.  Rapid DC charging curve from ~30% SOC  is now MUCH better- this is particularly useful if you regularly charge from (say) 30-90% on motorway stops (typically saves 10-15 minutes in waiting time). I regularly see charging rates of 140-148 kW now for rapid charging- so much better than the winter charging rates.

15 hours ago, aiden1072 said:

20230723_141112.jpg

I managed to show more than 500km!

bz.jpg

• Like 1

The question now is will there be any different in winter time I don’t think this update made any changes to the efficiency in range or in charging time I think the results we see now is because of the weather and not the update the update just made visual changes to existing data not any actual gains. So do you guys think that they are working on a new update to deal with the problems winter time (charging speed and range)?

From today's Telegraph:

A driver caught at 101mph in Wiltshire told police they were rushing home because their electric vehicle (EV) was about to run out of Battery.

Wiltshire Police posted: “The driver stated they were in a rush to plug in for more charge – they didn’t understand the faster you go the more juice the car uses! A trip to court awaits where hopefully more common sense prevails. #Fatal5.”

A bright spark?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, W id said:

The question now is will there be any different in winter time I don’t think this update made any changes to the efficiency in range or in charging time I think the results we see now is because of the weather and not the update the update just made visual changes to existing data not any actual gains. So do you guys think that they are working on a new update to deal with the problems winter time (charging speed and range)?

So, 'yes' to the first part. The WLTP (TEL) range for the FWD is 516 km, and owners are seeing that this figure is broadly achievable under the right conditions - i.e. in the summer time with gentle driving. As you say, the update made visual changes to existing data not any actual gains.

And, 'no' to the second part - or at least not terms of a simple software update that can be applied to existing cars. Toyota are still bound by the physics - batteries don't work so well in cold weather and EVs don't benefit from the 'waste' heat generated by an ICE so need to 'waste' electrical energy in order to keep warm. They aren't going to be able to fit better batteries and the scope for improved [pre-]heating is likely to be limited ...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philip42h said:

So, 'yes' to the first part. The WLTP (TEL) range for the FWD is 516 km, and owners are seeing that this figure is broadly achievable under the right conditions - i.e. in the summer time with gentle driving. As you say, the update made visual changes to existing data not any actual gains.

And, 'no' to the second part - or at least not terms of a simple software update that can be applied to existing cars. Toyota are still bound by the physics - batteries don't work so well in cold weather and EVs don't benefit from the 'waste' heat generated by an ICE so need to 'waste' electrical energy in order to keep warm. They aren't going to be able to fit better batteries and the scope for improved [pre-]heating is likely to be limited ...

I was wondering if it's possible to convert this car Battery to Toyota's solid-state Battery technology in the future, maybe with an extra fee payment? Having such an option would be fantastic!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, philip42h said:

You are probably right. I was just thinking that since the actual difference between wltp and winter range seems to be more of a problem for bz4x then other electric cars maybe toyota can ease up on some conservative decisions they have made. But maybe that isn’t even a possibility. Just hoping I would need som extra 10-20 percent this winter to make my trips. Last winter I was not pleased with the car. Ordered it before any of the actual tests came out and from what I think we did not get the car we where promised…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bZ4X said:

I was wondering if it's possible to convert this car battery to Toyota's solid-state battery technology in the future, maybe with an extra fee payment? Having such an option would be fantastic!

... but it would probably be cheaper and far more practical to trade-in and replace ... 😉

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bZ4X said:

I was wondering if it's possible to convert this car battery to Toyota's solid-state battery technology in the future, maybe with an extra fee payment? Having such an option would be fantastic!

It's possible but unlikely - Car manufacturers seem to be very reluctant to offer Battery upgrades thus far - The only two I can think of who have offered official Battery upgrades are Renault and Nissan, who offered batteries for older Zoes and Leafs to current gen packs.

Unofficially, there is a small cottage industry who refurbish Battery packs and use newer cell chemistries that have better capacity - Most recently to my memory, ChrisFix of YouTube fame swapped the battery pack in his Prius with a third-party one which had higher capacity cells:

However, increasingly, newer vehicles use coded parts which make them impossible to swap out with third-party parts - Hopefully the Right to Repair laws will go through and force companies to not put in artificial obstacles...

Who knows, you might be able to pop down to Halfords and buy an Eveready or Duracell Long Life battery pack for your car one day! :laugh: 

This would certainly be far better for the environment than replacing the whole car!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Who knows, you might be able to pop down to Halfords and buy an Eveready or Duracell Long Life battery pack for your car one day! :laugh: 

Did you see the Mercedes EV advert?

• Haha 4

Okay that was pretty funny :laugh: 

11 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Did you see the Mercedes EV advert?

Very good, I really liked the 'auto dump feature'.

Out of interest everyone, I went 10.4 miles on 0% at the weekend (so car did over 270 miles), the car was running fine , but limited to around 50mph foot flat down , so you'd survive on a motorway, just,,, 

The white line limit on power bar down by about 30%, I might risk more next time ! 

Charged up overnight just over 9 hours and put 66.91kWh in, so still a fair buffer one might assume , £13 on my tariff at present (petrol at £6.70/gallon now so less than 2 gals for 270 miles not bad, c135 mpg equivalent)

Average kWh running at 3.9/4.00 this time of year 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, aiden1072 said:

Wow, I never thought I would this high a predicted range!! 

20230721_104348.jpg

Aiden have you had the software update done?

• 1 month later...

Just been down to Cornwall for a week, from West Yorkshire, approx. 370 miles each way.

Set off at 3am to miss traffic and ensure plenty of chargers available.

On way down, stopped at MFG Filton (Bristol area) - just over half way, excellent charging stop, would recommend if need a charger in that area (many nearby options available also).

Got to the charge stop with 1% Battery, perfect planning 🙂 , eat, drink toilet break, dog break, ended up with more charge than I needed 94%.

Got to destination with approx. 6% remaining

On way back, slightly less efficient but not by much considering 5 up, plus dog, wet roads. At speed limits, arrived at same charger with 3%, and slightly more than 50% of journey still to do.

Ended up setting off after 45/50 mins and back to 90% charge. Originally planned to stop near home for approx. 5/10 mins quick charge.

Changed my mind when set back off, and decided to set cruise to 65mph instead of 70mph, to give me the extra 20 miles of range I would need, and avoided having to make another stop.

Got home with 0% and 1 mile range showing, planned to perfection!! 🙂 

Used contactless at the MFG chargers on the way down, not sure but believe it was 79p Kwh

On way back used my Electroverse card (for first time), at same charger, and only charged me 66p Kwh

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links