Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Range and efficiency/consumption

bZ4xSupra

15 degree weather, average 3.6 miles /kwh with awd bz4x. 

20230407_185825.thumb.jpg.a73dceeb09c17dacd75009a891ed5049.jpg

2 hours ago, bZ4X said:

15 degree weather, average 3.6 miles /kwh with awd bz4x. 

20230407_185825.thumb.jpg.a73dceeb09c17dacd75009a891ed5049.jpg

Got the same today. 50% motorway and 50% A road. Things are getting better

1 hour ago, G S said:

Got the same today. 50% motorway and 50% A road. Things are getting better

Yes, also noticed a big improvement in efficiency this month in my FWD Motion. In April so far have seen an average of 4.5 ml/kWh (28.1 kWh/100ml) over 133 miles, mostly local short trips.  In March average was 4.0 ml/kWh (25.1 kWh/100 ml) over 446 miles. 

I bet Toyota now wish they had released the bZ4X in June 2022 as originally planned (of course the wheel bolt saga got in the way of this) when the range would have been a lot closer to what they said.  Probably a winter release of any new EV model is not ideal  because many purchasers are simply not aware of the effects of cold weather on range.

Full charge 232.4 miles.

Drove 124 physical miles

Had 87 miles left on clock in range left.

Everything switched off and drove under speed limit and drove like miss daisy 

Regen on

And dealer still insists there's nothing wrong 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, tonyj154 said:

Full charge 232.4 miles.

Drove 124 physical miles

Regen on

And I assume it is FWD? 

7 hours ago, tonyj154 said:

Full charge 232.4 miles.

Drove 124 physical miles

Regen on

The range estimate - the guess-o-meter (GOM) as it is often called- is not very accurate in the bZ4X. In fact most EVs have poor range estimation. Your 100% charge estimate of 232 miles range does seem a bit low - if you had been previously hammering it on the motorway you might get that low. I've done nearly 4000 miles and my range at 100% has always been between 260-295 miles. In the real world I have never got anywhere near those estimated ranges- the best I have done is 250 miles on a single 100% charge when there was a particularly warm spell in mid-March and I eked it out to just 7% Battery remaining. 

I'd suggest to keep up with the careful driving until the next 100% charge and see if that makes any improvement to the estimated range. Also, make sure that the A/C is definitely OFF - if you leave any part of it on it will take a chunk of miles of your range.  Check your consumption/efficiency (ml/kWh or kWh/100ml) on the car screen or in the MyT app. With current warmer weather you should be seeing single trip efficiencies of around 4 ml/kWh (25kWh/100ml) for around town driving and a bit less on the motorway (this is for FWD, a bit lower for AWD).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bZ4X said:

And I assume it is FWD? 

I also drive AWD & I'm finding it quite accurate.

Started day at 232, drive 105 miles (including across fields & farm tracks), ended at 122 - so not bad

On 4/18/2023 at 7:51 AM, bZ4X said:

And I assume it is FWD? 

No AWD.

The range is awful

20 hours ago, dab1054 said:

The range estimate - the guess-o-meter (GOM) as it is often called- is not very accurate in the bZ4X. In fact most EVs have poor range estimation. Your 100% charge estimate of 232 miles range does seem a bit low - if you had been previously hammering it on the motorway you might get that low. I've done nearly 4000 miles and my range at 100% has always been between 260-295 miles. In the real world I have never got anywhere near those estimated ranges- the best I have done is 250 miles on a single 100% charge when there was a particularly warm spell in mid-March and I eked it out to just 7% battery remaining. 

I'd suggest to keep up with the careful driving until the next 100% charge and see if that makes any improvement to the estimated range. Also, make sure that the A/C is definitely OFF - if you leave any part of it on it will take a chunk of miles of your range.  Check your consumption/efficiency (ml/kWh or kWh/100ml) on the car screen or in the MyT app. With current warmer weather you should be seeing single trip efficiencies of around 4 ml/kWh (25kWh/100ml) for around town driving and a bit less on the motorway (this is for FWD, a bit lower for AWD).

232 miles is what the guessometer says after an overnight charge.

4 minutes ago, tonyj154 said:

232 miles is what the guessometer says after an overnight charge.

Did you check the car had actually charged to 100% overnight? Easiest way to check is in the MyT app. Your 232 miles is about what I get after an 80% charge.

4 hours ago, dab1054 said:

Did you check the car had actually charged to 100% overnight? Easiest way to check is in the MyT app. Your 232 miles is about what I get after an 80% charge.

That's normal.

FWD has at least 30 miles more range than AWD at the best conditions.

I prefer guess-o-meter as it's a more accurate term :laugh: 

To be fair on EVs, it's not been particularly accurate in any car I've been in - Maybe to the nearest 50-70-miles, but certainly no more accurate than that.

If I trusted the one in my Yaris hybrid I'd have been stranded last weekend, as it claimed I had 50 miles left, but was dropping much more than each mile I covered! Luckily I was going by my trip-counter and the fuel gauge, and rightly ducked in to a services for a quick but pricey splash and go!

On 1/13/2023 at 6:01 PM, Rajavina said:

I also have feeling that mi/kWH is more if we don't use one pedal mode.

Yes, I think it helps around town if you're otherwise doing a lot of braking, but on more open roads, when you switch it on at a constant speed there is a noticeable drag. Obviously the drag is to facilitate charging while driving along but surely conservation of momentum or laws of entropy or something stipulate that you can't put more (or even as much unless 100% efficient) in than you're taking out? I find myself switching the damn thing on and off all the time.

Im the same, I generally drive with it switched off & switch it one when I want to slow down like approaching a roundabout or Tlights

• 3 weeks later...

After 2000 km my averages are as follows:

Overall 15KW/100 km

city: 14KW/100km urban 17KW/100KW

How do others compare to these numbers?

• Thanks 1

What is the difference between city and urban (driving style wise)? 

6 hours ago, Petro Luigi said:

What is the difference between city and urban (driving style wise)? 

SORRY I MEANT URBAN AND EXTRA URBAN.

53 minutes ago, leosayer said:

SORRY I MEANT URBAN AND EXTRA URBAN

What is the difference between URBAN and EXTRA URBAN please ?

We have almost stopped using the REGEN boost button.

When it is on, it add a very noticeable drag to the car.  The driving experience feels much more relaxing and effortless when ths ReGen button is OFF.

It is a bit hard to say what effect if any this is having on efficiency as we have the warmer weather to take into account.

We are presently seeing between 4 and 5 miles / Kw so far, that's with AWD and 18 inch wheels.

Still occasionally use the ReGen button as a sort of brake when slowing down to junctions etc., traffic conditions allowing.

Really unsure if this ReGen Boost feature actually inceases efficiency or not ??  Be interesting to hear other's views

Broadly speaking, Urban is town driving, and Extra-urban is fast (e.g. A-road, motorway) driving.

I don't know why they are called that, as they are stupid designations, but that's what they went with. The people that come up with this stuff do seem to like making things as difficult for normal people to understand as possible.

As for the regen, if there's one thing my diesel cars taught me, it's that coasting as long as possible is the way to get best mpg.

Regen is good, but it is has a lot of losses, so for instance, when approaching traffic, regen'ing to a stop behind a car then accelerating gently again as they move off will never be as efficient as coasting in at a lower speed so that they move off just before you arrive and you never stop at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lightboxcar said:

We have almost stopped using the REGEN boost button.

When it is on, it add a very noticeable drag to the car.  The driving experience feels much more relaxing and effortless when ths ReGen button is OFF.

It is a bit hard to say what effect if any this is having on efficiency as we have the warmer weather to take into account.

We are presently seeing between 4 and 5 miles / Kw so far, that's with AWD and 18 inch wheels.

Still occasionally use the ReGen button as a sort of brake when slowing down to junctions etc., traffic conditions allowing.

Really unsure if this ReGen Boost feature actually inceases efficiency or not ??  Be interesting to hear other's views

I have tried extensively both modes in the city and in motorways. I prefer the regen function to ne ON all the time because

1. it definitely provides me (maybe for others driving style not) better efficiency

2. I hardly never use the brakes therefore prolonging their life usage.

Yes there is some drag but not that adverse to ruin your driving experience.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 6:32 AM, leosayer said:

After 2000 km my averages are as follows:

Overall 15KW/100 km

city: 14KW/100km urban 17KW/100KW

How do others compare to these numbers?

Trip to Dublin, from the west of Ireland: total distance 236km. Outside temp at 05:00 was 11 degrees Celsius.

Started with a range of 361km on a full charge, heating/ac permanently On.

Speed on the motorway 112km/h (shown as 108km/h on my Nextbase dash cam).

Arrived at destination with 51km left in range or 16% charge. So for 236 real kms I "lost" 311km from the GOM.

84% from the 64kwh useable on th Battery means 53.7kwh used for the 236km.

This results in a mileage consumption of 22.75 kwh/100km, ventilation on and 112km/h. It does not look great but it's not too bad either.

As a funny fact, on the return trip, on 16 degrees and a speed on the motorway between 120-125 km/h, the range left when finished was 101km, nearly double than the morning. Ventilation was as well On permanently.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Petro Luigi said:

Trip to Dublin, from the west of Ireland: total distance 236km. Outside temp at 05:00 was 11 degrees Celsius.

Started with a range of 361km on a full charge, heating/ac permanently On.

Speed on the motorway 112km/h (shown as 108km/h on my Nextbase dash cam).

Arrived at destination with 51km left in range or 16% charge. So for 236 real kms I "lost" 311km from the GOM.

84% from the 64kwh useable on th battery means 53.7kwh used for the 236km.

This results in a mileage consumption of 22.75 kwh/100km, ventilation on and 112km/h. It does not look great but it's not too bad either.

As a funny fact, on the return trip, on 16 degrees and a speed on the motorway between 120-125 km/h, the range left when finished was 101km, nearly double than the morning. Ventilation was as well On permanently.

image.thumb.jpeg.263ac1bd867190e9204801cab9e685cf.jpeg

When 100% charged (confirmed by MyToyata app) I typically see 212 miles (341km) on the "GOM". As you can see from the attached, I achieved (154+28) 182 miles (293km) the other day with little/no heating or aircon.

I have achieved as low as 150ish in cold 6C weather with heating on and just 2miles left on the GOM. 

These ranges are a far cry from the following statement found on a Toyota website! "For the all-wheel drive bZ4X Motion, the official range is 285 miles (3.9 miles per kWh)".  "Officail range"??.

No, I don't have a heavy foot - indeed Toyota estimates I am a 9/10 driver!!

I hope the promised software upgrade this month improves things.

Has anyone had this yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graham100 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.263ac1bd867190e9204801cab9e685cf.jpeg

When 100% charged (confirmed by MyToyata app) I typically see 212 miles (341km) on the "GOM". As you can see from the attached, I achieved (154+28) 182 miles (293km) the other day with little/no heating or aircon.

I have achieved as low as 150ish in cold 6C weather with heating on and just 2miles left on the GOM. 

These ranges are a far cry from the following statement found on a Toyota website! "For the all-wheel drive bZ4X Motion, the official range is 285 miles (3.9 miles per kWh)".  "Officail range"??.

No, I don't have a heavy foot - indeed Toyota estimates I am a 9/10 driver!!

I hope the promised software upgrade this month improves things.

Has anyone had this yet?

212miles/341 km on the GOM on a full charge with no AC/heating on seems awful low. 

My one displays around 425-450 km, no AC/heating On on a full charge. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petro Luigi said:

212miles/341 km on the GOM on a full charge

That does seem quite low, we normally see about 260 miles on 100% SOC.

The figure seems to an estimate based on previous results.  So if you have done trips at 6 degrees C and used gthe heating, it might be factoring that in.

We don't pay too much attention to the GOM, and just go on the Battery level

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links