Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 security

Akjon

5 hours ago, Vainona70 said:

Hang in there Mixstreme it will be worth the wait.

I ordered 5-6 weeks before you & have been enjoying my RAV4 for 5 months.

The JBL system is a nice to have, however the PVM (360 degree panaramic view monitor) is great!

Please did you install any form of security to your RAV4? Someone introduced the security below to me but I am sceptical, as I do not want to damage a brand new car.

1 minute ago, Akjon said:

Please did you install any form of security to your RAV4? Someone introduced the security below to me but I am sceptical, as I do not want to damage a brand new car.

34 minutes ago, Akjon said:

No extra security, but can park up behind a locked gate if necessary.

23 hours ago, Akjon said:

Also in my opinion this is abit over the top. Toyota have added a feature to the key that it only emits the signal for keyless entry if the key it self is moving (motion control) therefore if your key is sitting at home on the shelf it won’t be emitting any signal to be copied.

59 minutes ago, Pashley said:

Also in my opinion this is abit over the top. Toyota have added a feature to the key that it only emits the signal for keyless entry if the key it self is moving (motion control) therefore if your key is sitting at home on the shelf it won’t be emitting any signal to be copied.

Is that true? Are Toyota keys now motion sensitive?
I know that they can be put into a sleep mode with a specific button sequence but I was not aware that motion sensing has been added.
If true then it would be worthwhile getting a couple of new keys but this is the first that I have heard of it.

And anyway...

That won't stop this theft method which is a CANBUS attack.

11 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

Is that true? Are Toyota keys now motion sensitive?
I know that they can be put into a sleep mode with a specific button sequence but I was not aware that motion sensing has been added.
If true then it would be worthwhile getting a couple of new keys but this is the first that I have heard of it.

And anyway...

That won't stop this theft method which is a CANBUS attack.

This is from the website 

34510CAA-F57B-449F-B443-9F643589B805.jpeg

• Like 1

I think they have been motion sensitive for some time certainly my ‘21 PHEV has these keys. Even so I put them into a Faraday pouch when they are in the house.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I think they have been motion sensitive for some time certainly my ‘21 PHEV has these keys. Even so I put them into a Faraday pouch when they are in the house.

Interesting. I wonder if my '21 Excel has them and I just don't know it.
The tricky bit, of course, is being able to check/test it. 🙂

ETA: The 2021 Sales brochure shows the spec of the Design grade as:
Main features (additional to Icon)
— 18" silver alloy wheels (5-spoke)
— Toyota Touch® 2 with Go navigation
— Front parking sensors
— Smart Entry with Motion Sensor Key
— Power back door

[my bold]

That suggests that 2021 Design and above all have Motion Sensor Keys.

Note to self: read the brochure more carefully.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ernieb said:

If you press and hold lock and then simultaneously press unlock twice you will see a red light flash rapidly (think its about 4 times). This turns the key off and stops it transmitting. This is a good precaution, when out and about, as turns the key off and  it stops the key transmission. This means the key can no longer be cloned by a nearby thief and it has the additional benefit of saving key battery 

4 hours ago, srt said:

If you press and hold lock and then simultaneously press unlock twice you will see a red light flash rapidly (think its about 4 times). This turns the key off and stops it transmitting. This is a good precaution, when out and about, as turns the key off and  it stops the key transmission. This means the key can no longer be cloned by a nearby thief and it has the additional benefit of saving key battery 

Yep, it does and I do use that function always good to be reminded thanks.

4 hours ago, srt said:

And how do you turn it back on….? 

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

And how do you turn it back on….? 

You just use it normally. The key will "wake up" when you press any button.

Split into new topic.

The Rav4 attack has nothing to do with the key, It's not a relay attack, it is a physical attack to access the can bus

Starline alarms are not Thatcham approved devices, but the Ghost 2 is

12 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Starline alarms are not Thatcham approved devices, but the Ghost 2 is

Has Autowatch actually confirmed the Ghost 2 will stop a CAN invader attack on a Toyota / Lexus product? 

That i do not know, according to the blurb it is can bus blocking and has a physical immobilizer (by means of button combinations)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links