Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota prius plus whinning noise

kumaran

Recently bought a prius plus 2015. Verified Milledge just 39k miles. I just noticed that when accelerating very high while stationary there is a noise coming from the front. when ease off from accelerator it goes away. I don't notice it when driving. without opening the bonut I don't hear the sound.

But when driving I hear a very low pitched sound like nik nik ning ning. it is very low and hard to hear. I don't  know whether the above accelerating sound hear to me like this while driving.

Please advise if you have any clue. thanks for your help in advance

Hi, 

the sounds of the engine shared on the video are normal for Toyota hybrids. These noises may sound different in different times and circumstances and it depends of what the engine does at any one moment, for example high pitched sound is from recharging the hybrid Battery, less whining sound but rough idle is from engine warming up, and it can be any combination in between. If you hear very loudly those noises inside the cabin best to check your windscreen if been changed and if fitted properly. When under hard acceleration whining noises like turbo car or jet engine are also normal because the hybrid system components rotate at very high rpm up to 16500rpm in your car.  Here you can watch and understand your car hybrid system and how to works. This man has other helpful and interesting videos too. 👍

If unsure and worry about your car health You can book a Toyota dealer visit for inspection, or return to the place you had bought the car. 
Regards 

• Like 3

@TonyHSD thanks for your detailed reply. I have reported to the seller. I will check with my mechanic also and update if he finds anything. 

It may be the motor sound as specified in the following video. Let's see.

• 1 month later...

I love the sound under hard acceleration from a standstill. It whines as it comes to life.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links