Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2007 Aygo Blue - Rattle When Clutch Pressed

Ashmanyeah

Hi All,

new member here and am glad such forums exist.

I have a Toyota Aygo 2007 Blue and the other day went up a bit of a steep bump onto a side road, this particular road is higher, so the gradient is fairly steep.  I got out of the car and did what I went there to do and when I got back in and started driving, I noticed when I press the clutch down to change gear, there is rattling which sounds like it is coming from the front of the car.  This only happens when the clutch is down, otherwise the car is nice and silent like it should be.

When I went up the bump I did immediately realise I probably was going a bit too fast, however did not hear any scraping or anything out of the ordinary.

I have checked under the car without the use of a jack and nothing seems odd.  I don't know much about cars however.

I thought I would ask on here prior to taking it to a garage as maybe some of you guys may know what has happened.  I also want to go there somewhat prepared (if I cannot fix this issue myself) so I am not taken advantage of.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input.  I am available today so can be doing checks or taking pictures to post here if need be.

Thanks,

Ash

Hi Ash,

Unless you've done some serious damage to the underside of the car, tranmission/gear box which I'm sure you would know about, you've most likely caught the underside of the front bumper. There is a small rubber type spoiler trim attached the the very bottom of the bumper. It's about 40mm deep and is only attached to the vehicle/bumper by a number of small plastic rivet type fixings which if scrapped on a kerb or ramp can easily be pulled off.

Try taking a look low down under the front bumper and check the rubber is still fixed.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DerekHa said:

Hi Ash,

Unless you've done some serious damage to the underside of the car, tranmission/gear box which I'm sure you would know about, you've most likely caught the underside of the front bumper. There is a small rubber type spoiler trim attached the the very bottom of the bumper. It's about 40mm deep and is only attached to the vehicle/bumper by a number of small plastic rivet type fixings which if scrapped on a kerb or ramp can easily be pulled off.

Try taking a look low down under the front bumper and check the rubber is still fixed.

Hi Derek,

thanks for your response.

I went out and had a look and can see one side of the rubber spoiler trim is not in properly, or at least not the same way the other end is attached.

I fiddled about with it and the rattling noise when the clutch was pressed stopped temporarily, however came back again - I am not sure if it was a coincidence.  I cannot fix the affected side of the bumper to the chassis properly though, it feels like there is something blocking it from slotting in correctly.

Strangely I have also noticed something else.  Due to the rattling when I hold the clutch down, when driving I have been going to neutral when stopping so I can take my foot off the clutch.  Now when turning the car ignition on, 50% of the time it makes a whizzing noise like a belt is turning, but the car engine does not fire up.  It takes a few attempts to get it going.  Imagine if you turn the key in the ignition when the engine is already running, it makes that crrrr noise.  That is the noise it makes when trying to start if it fails.

Ash

Not the weather to be trying to sort out that rubber trim!

Sounds like your rattling is due to that rubber strip being scrapped coming free. You really need to jack the front of the car up, safely, and work directly underneath to get it fixed back in place properly. If the plastic fixings have been lost/damaged you could drill small holes through the rubber into the bottom of the bumper and use self tapping screws to hold it in place. Have done this myself in the past on other vehicles.

Not entirely sure what your "whizzing noise" is going to be, but my first guess would be that the starter motor is the cause. Likely that it isn't fully engaging with the starter ring on the fly wheel. Are you sure your Battery is fully charged? A low Battery in this weather is nothing unusual and it's easily remedied compared with sorting a starter motor.

The starter  motor is located low down at the back of the engine and pretty much directly in front of the driver. It could be that the cold werather has helped to show this up but if it is the starter not engaging your going to need to remove it and replace it or if your very DIY minded you may be  able to overhaul it yourself.

You need to be sure thats where the "whizzing" is coming from first though Ash. Someone to turn the key while you work out what's "whizzing".

Hi Derek,

thanks again for taking the time to respond.  I am going to be somewhere tomorrow where they have a jack and I can fully inspect the issue and look at the rubber trim.  I do suspect that to be the issue as I didn't go over the bump at high speed, and it does seem to have dropped at one side.

I will also check out the starting motor and charge the Battery overnight and see what happens.  

I will be sure to report back here with the outcomes.  Hope you are having a great weekend.

Ash

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashmanyeah said:

Hi Derek,

thanks again for taking the time to respond.  I am going to be somewhere tomorrow where they have a jack and I can fully inspect the issue and look at the rubber trim.  I do suspect that to be the issue as I didn't go over the bump at high speed, and it does seem to have dropped at one side.

I will also check out the starting motor and charge the battery overnight and see what happens.  

I will be sure to report back here with the outcomes.  Hope you are having a great weekend.

Ash

Good luck Ashley,

At least the weather is taking a turn for the better for you be checking things out. Hope it all turns out to be easily fixed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It would either be the thrust bearing or the pressure plate is about to go or already gone. (Both of which is part of the Clutch kit).

When you press the clutch peddle, it pushes the thrust bearing onto the pressure plate's diaphragm therefore separates the fiction plate from the flywheel.  Hence release the torque that would transfer to the gearbox.

When the thrust bearing is about to go, you would normally hear "Grinding Noise" when you step onto the clutch.  And if  something when catastrophic then it will becoming rattling.  (So pretty unlikely, but still some possibilities here).

What I would suspect here, is the one the tab that holds the pressure plate's diaphragm snapped off.  This WAS a common issue with the Toyota IQ, hence Toyota later upgraded the clutch.  For Toyota IQ which had the same engine and transmission as Toyota Aygo, what is the likely hood this will happened to the Aygo? (Although IQ's clutch is hydraulic actuated, but honestly, it is just an Aygo clutch with an extra slave cylinder).

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links