Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E10 Petrol - Thoughts

NeilAvensisT

14 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

I wonder how different esso and Tesco fuel is 

Our Tesco actually sells Esso fuel Eddie 👍

I would imagine if Tesco sold their own brand fuel it would be cheaper than Esso, but not as good quality.

• Like 1

There is now enough info out there to keep it simple.

The extra cost is worth it. 

Ask yourself - when the car was designed and engineered. What was the fuel they designed it around? Okay - maybe it wasn't exactly V-Power.

But - it certainly wasn't E10.

Read between the lines.

Ultimately - you have to decide if you want your car to be a 'guinea pig'  or not.

If we were to do an (anon) poll of all the fuel chemists/formulators for the big producers - "Which fuel do you use in your own car?".

What do you think would be the results?

Tesco E5 - is the cheapest as far as I can tell. But that is NOT an endorsement.

Personally, for the last two years - I have only used V-POWER. No complaints thus far.

Edited by Kojac
Liz Truss
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Kojac said:

Ask yourself - when the car was designed and engineered. What was the fuel they designed it around? Okay - maybe it wasn't exactly V-Power.

But - it certainly wasn't E10.

It quite possibly was. E10 has been used in the US since 2010 and E15 now isn't uncommon there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

It quite possibly was. E10 has been used in the US since 2010 and E15 now isn't uncommon there.

My brother says he’s had it in oz since he moved there in 2010 and he’s had same car since 2005 that he shipped out there 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Information that Toyota provided on E10 compatibility is as follows:

"E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:

Avensis 2.0 litre with engine 1AZ-FSE made between July 2000 and October 2008.
Avensis 2.4 litre with engine 2AZ-FSE made between June 2003 and October 2008.
These models, and those produced before 1998 should continue to use E5."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

That's why I love this forum.

I've been educated.

I had no idea that E10 (& E15) have been in mainstream use for widely & for so long. If I hadn't come across this thread - I may have never discovered this.

I may need to re-examine my decision to stick with E5.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kojac said:

That's why I love this forum.

I've been educated.

I had no idea that E10 (& E15) have been in mainstream use for widely & for so long. If I hadn't come across this thread - I may have never discovered this.

I may need to re-examine my decision to stick with E5.

The only thing you need to re-examine is, "does E5 give sufficiently better fuel economy to offset the extra cost?"

For me, the answer is yes. For the memsahib, the answer is yes and her car runs a lot better.

YMMV.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Strangely Brown said:

The only thing you need to re-examine is, "does E5 give sufficiently better fuel economy to offset the extra cost?"

Not bothered about the fuel economy, the car runs better with E5 super unleaded.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not bothered about the fuel economy, the car runs better with E5 super unleaded.

Same for me, even if i seem to be getting a tad more MPG but either way runs better 👍

• Like 3

People says extra cost for E5, but Tesco sells E5 for the same price of E10 bought from bp, Shell, esso and all other big name garages. , therefore no extra cost associated. I won’t pay Shell 15-20p difference a litre between their e5 and e10 petrol, but Tesco e5 is a welcome refill. 👍

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes. Two! The two things that you need to re-examine are ...[/spanishinquisition]

Is the Tesco not Esso fuel anyway?

Seems to be around here, I used to go for the Shell v power, but as I said before the Esso E5 gives better starting and running.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

People says extra cost for E5, but Tesco sells E5 for the same price of E10 bought from bp, shell, esso and all other big name garages. , therefore no extra cost associated. I won’t pay shell 15-20p difference a litre between their e5 and e10 petrol, but Tesco e5 is a welcome refill. 👍

In order for Tesco to be able to sell Esso (Premium) E5, for E10 prices, I wonder what compromises have been made in the additives/formulation. I'm exploring this as there's no such thing as a free lunch. (BTW, I have used Tesco E5  without issue). 

The reason I choose V-Power (for two years) is that I was convinced that the additives made a real difference for the health of the engine (detergents/lubrication).

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 2

On 12/25/2022 at 6:16 PM, Eddiefh said:

I wonder how different esso and Tesco fuel is 

You cannot be sure if you are using Esso or Tesco as most companies have inter supply arrangements so that if a tanker for say company X has just made a delivery and has to pass a refinery owned by company Y on his route to the next delivery he will fill up[ with fuel from company Y.  Such agreements are more likely between the major players rather than supermarkets but the potential is still there.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2022 at 8:41 PM, Kojac said:

In order for Tesco to be able to sell Esso (Premium) E5, for E10 prices, I wonder what compromises have been made in the additives/formulation. I'm exploring this as there's no such thing as a free lunch. (BTW, I have used Tesco E5  without issue). 

The reason I choose V-Power (for two years) is that I was convinced that the additives made a real difference for the health of the engine (detergents/lubrication).

You have to go careful with some additives as they are actually added on site by the delivery driver.   Many years ago one petrol company introduced an additive to give better performance but was withdrawn when it was found to cause damage to the top of the engine on some cars.  Each was found to have a sticky coating to valves and the like.  The cause was later found to be the sporadic use of the additive.   If the driver had forgotten to add the additive on some deliveries in the day rather than return with containers of the additive the last delivery would get all of the remaining additive. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/26/2022 at 8:41 PM, Kojac said:

Good point? So far BP E10 has been very good with ESSO E5 a tad better still, next fill up will be with Tesco E5 but will probably end up sticking with ESSO E5 as it is miles closer then the nearest BP or Tesco's.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

You have to go careful with some additives as they are actually added on site by the delivery driver.   Many years ago one petrol company introduced an additive to give better performance but was withdrawn when it was found to cause damage to the top of the engine on some cars.  Each was found to have a sticky coating to valves and the like.  The cause was later found to be the sporadic use of the additive.   If the driver had forgotten to add the additive on some deliveries in the day rather than return with containers of the additive the last delivery would get all of the remaining additive. 

Could you share which one it was?

When did this happen?

• Like 3

On the basis of this thread. Decided to use Tesco E5 today. Will report back after a week of use.

• Like 4

I have been using Tesco e5 mostly since September 2021. When no Tesco momentum available I tend to fill up at bp e10 or e5.
Previously used Tesco e5 but 95 before the change and I had some issues with the engine. This could had been as a result of poor quality Tesco petrol 95 E5 at the time or the fact that I stopped driving as much because of the  lockdowns and also  I kept the car in ready mode for 30-40 min twice a week to preserve the Battery. Using wynns catalytic converter and lambda sensor cleaner I fixed my trouble and I only use E5 99 from Tesco , no Tesco e10 or any other supermarket e10. When I changed the spark plugs last winter they looked good to me. 👍

• Like 5

On 12/29/2022 at 11:54 AM, Kojac said:

Could you share which one it was?

When did this happen?

Not quite sure on the timing, it was either the eighties or the nineties.  The company in question was Shell and additive was the formula Shell additive.  In the UK it was mainly Vauxhall engines that were damaged. 

The Shell public take on it was -  "This early commercial success, however, became qualified when it appeared that in a small number of cars the new gasoline caused inlet valves to burn. Negative publicity was inevitable, though the damage occurred in only four countries, Denmark, Norway, Malaysia and the UK. It took Shell technical experts in collaboration with the motor manufacturers more than a year to establish the cause of the problem. In the meantime, the Formula Shell brand was withdrawn from a number of markets, including the UK. Once the problem had been identified, the product was reformulated and relaunched, in some markets under a new brand.'

if I recall correctly the additive was a detergent type with the aim of carbonising the engine but in the case of the Vauxhalls it was found to be attacking the valves.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2022 at 10:52 AM, Hornet3D said:

Years ago I was filling my car up with diesel at the local Sainsburys and happened to spill a few drops down the side of the (white) paintwork. The fuel was a really strong fluorescent green. I know diesel can often tend to have a very slight greenish tinge to it but this was like nothing I'd seen before, a bit like the colour of Swarfega. I think they'd probably hugely overdosed the fuel with additives. I complained to Sainsburys at the time and they're response was something along the lines of 'There's no legal requirement for fuel to be any particular colour' which was slightly missing the point! It didn't appear to do my car any harm, but then it was a Peugeot 1.9 XUD engine and they would run happily on anything vaguely oily so that's perhaps not surprising! I'm not sure a modern common rail diesel would have been so untroubled by it.

• Like 2

Hi guys - I have been using the dreaded E10 Fuel from Esso and Tesco since it came out (as they were the only 2 garages in my local area) - Initially I was hostile to something that has 10% Ethanol in it - I think that it does damage the car and reduce performance etc.  Just little things with the car that have gone wrong (coincidental probably).  It is a 2005 Avensis with 160k mileage so not surprised.

The thing that annoys me the most is, when it was first advertised it was supposed to be for 'Green' reasons and, undoubtedly it is to some small extent.  The problem is, is Ethanol is super cheap to produce - the only ones making substantial profits are........??? The manufacturers as usual.  Costs them less, costs us more and, as someone said, who knows the long term effect.

This is NOT the end, watch them do this again and again guys 😞  It will be E25 by 2030 to get us all to buy the EV garbage.

• Like 6

On 12/29/2022 at 12:46 PM, Kojac said:

On the basis of this thread. Decided to use Tesco E5 today. Will report back after a week of use.

So far Tesco E5 has been great.

Cannot tell the difference between Tesco E5 and my goto (Shell V-Power).

It's cheaper (even though I use the Shell app for cashback).

I'm of a mind to use Tesco E5 and on every third tank - go with V-power (due to the advanced detergents they supposedly add).

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links