Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

E10 Petrol - Thoughts

NeilAvensisT

Whilst my car (2010 Avenis 1.8TR Petrol) is shown as compatible for the use of E10 petrol, I have increasing concerns about the E10 fuel, the lower MPG results, potential damage to pretty much anything it comes into contact with, pumps, fuel lines/seals etc. Whats your views on it?

It is Mod edit. I will NOT use it again.

The government need to ban this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It's been certified fine but your car was designed to run on E5 so it won't run as well on E10.

If you can afford the extra cost, E5 would be better for it in the long term.

It's a stupid lipservice thing as it doesn't do any of the things they cite as reasons for making us use it: It isn't good for the environment, isn't cheaper and doesn't reduce CO2 emissions; The only benefit is it's more sustainable, since we can grow more of the feedstock, but at the expense of food and livestock feed.

• Like 5

You can use either of two or combination of them. I usually fill mostly with e5 from Tesco but sometimes mix with e10 from bp or Shell, there is no risk of any damage, just lower mpg and more engine noise, less power. 

• Like 3

I mostly use E5 super unleaded - and did before the introduction of E10. On occasion use E10, usually when E5 isn't available, so often don't have 'pure' E10 in the tank at any one time.

• Like 3

In my previous diesels Volvo and Landrover I always used Shell Vpower and was happy to pay the extra in return for smooth running and no egr problems, etc 

With my hybrid petrol RAV4 I have been using Esso E5 (think it's Supreme) It runs very well and I'm happy with the performance and fuel economy. I will stick with the E5 and use Esso where ever possible.

Ps I also used Shell Vpower petrol in my MX-5 and it went like a dream, the exhaust was as clean as a whistle 👍

• Like 3

Since October I frequently find Shell stations do not have E5. Have you noticed scarcity of E5? 

35 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Have you noticed scarcity of E5? 

Not generally no. Did find that it was scarcer when we were on holiday in North East Scotland in September, but in our home city of Birmingham it is readily available.

• Like 1

That's funny as last time I went to the Abridge Shell that was the only thing they had! :laugh: 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Since October I frequently find Shell stations do not have E5. Have you noticed scarcity of E5? 

I haven't Roy, but not been in a Shell station recently.

I only run my Aygo on E5 and I have no difficulty, so far, in finding a supply either at the local garage or the local supermarket.  I think the full picture of E10 is not yet known, it does tend to absorb more water (not the exact process but the effect is the same) so the longer it is left the higher will be the water content.  Now, with over-night temperatures of -16 being reported within days of Christmas I wonder if E10 cars will suffer the effects more than E5.

• Like 2

Some garages in the North East of England only supply E10 petrol.

I keep my tank rather full to limit water absorbtion refilling at around harf to quarter of a tank.

Hornet3D, I had to get my lawn mower serviced because of rough running.  It had used E10 and we believe that was the cause. 

The service man uses a sniff test to judge fuel quality. 

• Like 5

Lawnmowers are particularly vulnerable as they aren't used that often and are usually stored in a damp shed - Ours rusted out its carb and it wasn't worth repairing so we had to switch to an electric one.

I've not heard of anyone running their lawn mower on V-Power...

• Like 3

Not started my lawnmower for about five years.

The casual gardener as was then, nicked my petrol can,a new fork, and a pair of secateurs.

A bit silly really,as he could have had  ongoing work.

Lessons learned, don't let casual gardeners in your shed, don't deal with people who lose the ability to understand English when asked about missing gear.

• Like 5

On 12/23/2022 at 3:47 PM, Hybrid21 said:

In my previous diesels Volvo and Landrover I always used Shell Vpower and was happy to pay the extra in return for smooth running and no egr problems, etc 

With my hybrid petrol RAV4 I have been using Esso E5 (think it's Supreme) It runs very well and I'm happy with the performance and fuel economy. I will stick with the E5 and use Esso where ever possible.

Ps I also used Shell Vpower petrol in my MX-5 and it went like a dream, the exhaust was as clean as a whistle 👍

I think some esso e5 is 100% no ethernol mix in southern England 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Lawnmowers are particularly vulnerable as they aren't used that often and are usually stored in a damp shed - Ours rusted out its carb and it wasn't worth repairing so we had to switch to an electric one.

I've not heard of anyone running their lawn mower on V-Power...

When I had the MX-5 I run it on Vpower and also the lawnmower as easy to fill the can if needed when fueling the MX-5.

The lawnmower has a 190cc Briggs and Stratton and really appreciated the Vpower, it's a bit annoyed now that it's getting Esso E5 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You should speak to Shell about some advertising sponsorship, "Mows lawns 10% faster with 15% fewer deposits!" :laugh: 

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

I think some esso e5 is 100% no ethernol mix in southern England 

Makes me think it may be the same around here, I have used v power for a long while.

But the last two fill ups have been the Esso momentum, and I have noticed the engine seems happier and a touch more peppy.

Might be my imagination on improved running, but the Shell station where I get v power is a lot easier to use for me than the Tesco esso which has awkward turning and is always busy.

• Like 5

On 12/22/2022 at 5:18 PM, NeilAvensisT said:

Whilst my car (2010 Avenis 1.8TR Petrol) is shown as compatible for the use of E10 petrol, I have increasing concerns about the E10 fuel, the lower MPG results, potential damage to pretty much anything it comes into contact with, pumps, fuel lines/seals etc. Whats your views on it?

If you are worried the use E5, more expensive and no better

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 3:18 PM, NeilAvensisT said:

I have not had much concerns with using E10 fuel, since the car was designed to use that fuel. My car is one of the first T27 Avensis TR Tourer '58 plate registered in January 2009 (when T27 was first introduced). The Owners Manual states that the car uses 95 ron and ethanol to E10. The fuel consumption is roughly similar to what it was before, just a little worse depending on usage. I am not a heavy user of my car doing a lot of cycling, and only do meaningful journeys. I try to avoid doing journeys at busy times, so avoid traffic as much as possible. Some owners are driving journeys that are wasteful with the way they drive, heavy right foot, short journeys which are not good for the car, and if the car is maintained - tyre pressures, oil and filters. Also leaving roof bars or racks and carrying excessive weight are factors too!

My general view is to manage usage the best as you can.   

• Like 5

14 hours ago, swazi said:

If you are worried the use E5, more expensive and no better

In the Avensis, on balance, I do think E5 is a better, cleaner burning fuel. My daughter runs a Suzuki Swift 1.3 petrol, 2008. The VIN number suggests that it is OK to use E10, which she has been doing. About 2 months ago, a strange fault started, where (very) occasionally, the car would not start (it is well serviced, 70k miles). The first occasion it happened the recovery guy said there was no fuel to the injectors, then he cranked and cranked and all was fine. The situation is compounded by me living in Swansea, her N London.  I did go up for the weekend, went through everything (fuel pump/filter unfortunately is an inboard one, no access unless you drop the whole tank), found nothing conclusive. No codes. Looked at fuses, connections, relays. Got her to change to E5, run a large bottle of injector cleaner through and used a cup of meths in the tank, been fine since. As I haven't got a scope to look down into the tank, can't be sure of anything, but it does seem a coincidence that since going to E5 a month ago all is now good? By the way, Merry Christmas all.

• Like 1

Certainly if I had a car that I was intending to keep for a long time I would not consider using cheaper fuel.

In the long term it's worth the extra cost to use good quality fuel 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Certainly if I had a car that I was intending to keep for a long time I would not consider using cheaper fuel.

In the long term it's worth the extra cost to use good quality fuel 👍

Same here and definitely running tad more smoothly on ESSO E5 and 58 MPG on mostly short trips given the cold weather is not bad at all.

• Like 2

Got to say I’ve not noticed any difference in fuel consumption between E5 and E10 in the two and a bit years that I’ve had the Corolla although now petrol has come down in price I do use E5 as supposedly esso E5 has better cleaning agents in it.

I read a article in which magazine and they said if your vehicle is capable of using E10 then you are wasting money by using E5.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links