Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Milage fraud?

ptrustfull

Hello, I hope some one can help me figure this out. I scanned a 2017 toyota Vitz from a car dealer for someone who wants to purchase the car. It is a hybrid. When I scanned the car it showed that the instrument cluster has been removed. Communication with several other modules has been lost. I see on the engine the same milage as on the dash but the hybrid module shows a total other milage. Is the milage being tempered with?

IMG-20230104-WA0017.jpg

Moved to the Yaris forum

Certainly the hybrid mileage would differ from the engine mileage as the hybrid system would only be used part of the time ?

Not really sure if it has been tampered with, but I'm sure someone with some scanner knowledge will come along to advise Paul 👍

• Like 4

That mileage of 16777215 is probably meaningful.

2 to the power of 24 is 16,777,216, if I remember correctly.  Is the scanner reading the correct memory location, I wonder? 

What would a hexadecimal memory location of 'FFFFFF' read as, once converted into decimal?  I think you'll find it is 16,777,215. (I'm afraid I don't do this kind of work, ever, so this needs commenting on by someone else).

This has a suggestion of the scanner incorrectly reading an unused memory location, hence the 'FFFFFF' idea.

I don't think this discrepancy sounds sinister, but very happy to be corrected - I'm just a regular Toyota owner, I have no technical insight into this.

• Like 8

As long as the engine/ecu mileage matches the cluster it's all good, it may well be a bug in the scan tool software, that's one reason i have multiple scan tools

Launch can be a bit flaky with hybrid PID's

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gerg said:

What would a hexadecimal memory location of 'FFFFFF' read as, once converted into decimal?  I think you'll find it is 16,777,215. (I'm afraid I don't do this kind of work, ever, so this needs commenting on by someone else).

You were correct on the hexadecimal conversion, Gerg.

Even for a Toyota, 16.8 million km or 10.4 million miles seems a little off, lol. Scotty Kilmer would be proud of this little car! 🤣

• Haha 5

16,777,215 is the block limit - 16.777 Mb so it's just showing the Max value as it does not know how to interpret the data - at binary level the mileage is encrypted in the Flash/EEPROM and requires and algorithm to decode it

• Like 7

6 hours ago, paul9 said:

You were correct on the hexadecimal conversion, Gerg.

Even for a Toyota, 16.8 million km or 10.4 million miles seems a little off, lol. Scotty Kilmer would be proud of this little car! 🤣

Top comment here 😂👌👍 apart from informative and educational answers from Gerg and Flash. I love it , hope Scotty will read it too. 🇺🇸🚗

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Thank you all for the insights given. Learned a lot from this discussion. I think that the milage might be correct. The car also looks and feel like a 62.000 km car. Even wear on the streering wheel, shift knob and pedals is minor. The diffrent readings made me doubt the milage. I'm back on track, thank you

• Like 4

I think the hybrid control may have been changed, but not fully reset to the car.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2023 at 7:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

Top comment here 😂👌👍 apart from informative and educational answers from Gerg and Flash. I love it , hope Scotty will read it too. 🇺🇸🚗

Scotty is very typical Southern American. But he has very small experience with hybrid besides Prius 1 (the worst) and 2.  Most American keep their car for decades. In their mind, 200k miles Toyota are still new if maintained well. They do not deal with salt and rust in the South. Gasoline cost $2.8 per gallon or 70 penny per L. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links