Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idler pulley bolt / serpentine belt

T25nr

Hi. My serpentine belt recently snapped, and I’m trying to replace it. 
I have a 06 Avensis 2.0 D4D (1CD)

The engine has two drive belts. One from crankshaft to alternator, and one going from crank, to AC-compressor and power steering (this one is snapped). 
The tensioner pulley between alternator and crank has a spring loaded tensioner pulley, however the upper one (between AC-compressor and PS) doesn’t. It’s literally almost impossible to get a tool between the pulley bolt and the frame of the car. Attached a photo so you can see. It is a 14mm bolt, and sadly I tried using a 12 point wrench and rounded the bolt… I can get a six point 14mm socket on and it feels tight, but can’t get a ratchet down there. 

Has anyone done this job before and have any tips that could help me out? And is there a way to get the belt on without removing the centre bolt of the pulley?

The abs-unit and a pipe is also in the way..  

CD4FD9B7-B0D2-49E3-97B6-F38D22C52CF8.png

439828C3-6B4B-4F2D-9DC0-C4041B612398.png

D1DE9C58-07CF-4318-9A29-FEED50AE6589.jpeg

Use a shallow socket or a cranked neck spanner - the question is what seized to snap the belt

a quick look at the pulley i has an adjuster bolt the points towards the front of the engine

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284435698543

you could try to remove the bracket if It's that seized

Be aware the belt routing you posted is for a 3sge but roughly the same

3 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Use a shallow socket or a cranked neck spanner - the question is what seized to snap the belt

a quick look at the pulley i has an adjuster bolt the points towards the front of the engine

eg. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284435698543

you could try to remove the bracket if It's that seized

Be aware the belt routing you posted is for a 3sge but roughly the same

Thanks for the reply! I think I’ll try to remove the bracket then to get the bolt loose, seeing as it’s rounded off..  How many bolts are holding the bracket, and do I need to remove anything to get it off? 

9 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Just finding some info on it now

Edit.

2103647470_1cdidlerpulley.thumb.jpg.f8cbd7116a2327c58002446f6b5fc288.jpg

Thank you so much, I’ll try to get it off!😃

You may need to remove the 3 bolts on the PS pump (through the pulley) and 1 at the top - that are on that bracket as well

you could get a smaller belt and do away with the ac pump as they give bother and well if you not bothered with ac even if it works always a good idea buypassing it as if the pump is not shot and well puts more pressure on the pulley system if done

Thanks chaps, I’ll have a go at removing the bracket in the morning! 

The AC-pulley was rattling quite a bit before the belt snapped, and to be honest AC isn’t really a necessity where I live. So I guess bypassing it with a shorter belt can be an option too. Would the belt go directly from the crank to the PS then? And the  tensioner pulley bypassed too ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T25nr said:

Thanks chaps, I’ll have a go at removing the bracket in the morning! 

The AC-pulley was rattling quite a bit before the belt snapped, and to be honest AC isn’t really a necessity where I live. So I guess bypassing it with a shorter belt can be an option too. Would the belt go directly from the crank to the PS then? And the  tensioner pulley bypassed too ? 

There was posts on here before about bypassing the AC pump and belts to get .I have chatted with a taxi driver that bypassed his ac pump with shorter belt he put a motorfactor belt on and he said was annoying squeek so he left it at a few mechanics and they found nothing wrong so he was scundered with it so left it into Toyota to figure problem and low and behold was not the genuine Toyota belt that was the problem so comes 2 belts buy genuine Toyota belts as tbh it fixed his problem and yep getting a shorter belt and bypassing the AC is a great job .I for sure will be doing that with mine whatever goes first belt r AC pump be short belt on for sure genuine Toyota one .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I changed the water pump on mine (slightly different from yours) and I removed the wheel arch liner to access some bolts.  Would it help if you did that?

34 minutes ago, Stivino said:

I changed the water pump on mine (slightly different from yours) and I removed the wheel arch liner to access some bolts.  Would it help if you did that?

Thanks, I did try that, but the pulley is located at the top (above the AC-comp.) making access from below impossible 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, flash22 said:

You may need to remove the 3 bolts on the PS pump (through the pulley) and 1 at the top - that are on that bracket as well

Okay guys, So I got on with removing the bolts holding the bracket, which was in real stinker positions. But as you see in the pictures, I can’t get them all the way out due to the pulley being in the way… Question is, do I need to remove them, or have I gotten them far enough out to get the bracket off? 

B59EB62B-083D-43B7-B7ED-EB578DBF9B87.png

A5A09216-CB4B-45AA-80DA-674E6DBAFF4A.png

Okay, so I finally got it off after a lot of wiggling! I assume the bolt to the right (in circle), works as an adjuster for the pulley when fitting the belt? 

81806D80-444D-4581-80B8-4EE44AE9722B.jpeg

yes, it's a manual adjuster, if the bolt holding the pulley is over tight it will lock the adjuster

see the eBay link above to see how it should be

Edit 2. Looks like a nut on the pulley and it has been peened over

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, T25nr said:

Okay, so I finally got it off after a lot of wiggling! I assume the bolt to the right (in circle), works as an adjuster for the pulley when fitting the belt? 

81806D80-444D-4581-80B8-4EE44AE9722B.jpeg

Did you find a genuine Toyota belt that's for a engine with no ac ok bud to fit on 

17 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

Did you find a genuine Toyota belt that's for a engine with no ac ok bud to fit on 

It’s genuine yes, but the belt I got is for AC, but I’m considering getting a shorter belt and bypassing the AC

• Like 1

Unless the A/C compressor is seized or missing, there is nothing to be gained by fitting a shorter belt.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, T25nr said:

It’s genuine yes, but the belt I got is for AC, but I’m considering getting a shorter belt and bypassing the AC

Aye  best way cut down all the other AC hassle later on.i will for sure be doing it anyone I know had a Toyota  bypassed the stupid AC compressor with shorter genuine Toyota belt.those AC compressors are 2 complicated and expensive 2 replace tbh my ac is hardly on and we'll it's more stress on the engine other things running it 

11 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

it's more stress on the engine

There is no stress on the engine.

• Like 2

The AC is a freewheeling pulley unless the AC is engaged, is it the AC or has the idler that failed - as the adjustment screw on yours is not in the right place

Non-AC still uses the idler/tensioner

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links