Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes

Clive Birch

I have a 2005 Rav 4 short wheel base got a problem  with fds brake came home was red hot took wheel off sliders seemed free but rubbers knackered  replaced  sliders pushed piston back in .put back together  .Took for a test drive about 6 miles after 3 brakes all same got home drivers front wheel hot again .Is replacing calipers only solution  

Hi Clive,

Don't have nor never have had a Rav4 and others may have better advice or idea's.

Have had problem with calipers not working as intended in the past. You may not have made the same mistake as I did and are already aware of this.

One thing I discovered, and many make the same mistake I did also. Using the wrong lubricating grease can cause the rubber seals and covers to expand.They expand so much that the rubber will make it near impossible for the pistons and sliders to return to their neutural position where the brake pads don't bind on the disc surface.

I had always used Copper Ease grease for brakes until I had severe problems with my sons Mazda 323F quite some time ago now. Copper Ease and the like are petrolium based where as we should be using the red silicone type grease intended for brake rubbers.

If you've done the same your calipers may be salvagable with a repair kit of seals/covers for the caliper(s), if you can find them. If not then you'll be in need of replacement calipers and likely discs and pads.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links