Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Saw this on Auto trader , what do you guys think? (The interior illuminated lighting)

GR Weasel

Not my kind of thing but I can see it being popular with our younger members.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Footwell lighting if done well can look subtle & be useful.

I've retrofitted the genuine Toyota footwell light kit to my C-HR & it suits the vehicle as it was designed for it.

Be interesting to know who fitted those red lights as the Yaris GR Sport hasn't been out long.

• Like 6

A bit garish for my liking and sports pedals should be illegal on anything that does 0-60 in 10 seconds.   

• Like 4

What an idiot...

...the neons go on the OUTSIDE! :naughty:  :laugh: 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I think the interior light looks good if you could change them to different colours and you could also dim them right down . I also like the star light effect on the headliners in Rolls Royce. Door seals also look good when illuminated. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Footwell lighting if done well can look subtle & be useful.

Curious as to why "useful"? I tend to look ahead, through the windscreen, when driving. I know where the pedals, gear lever and handbrake are without needing illumination at night.

6 minutes ago, newagetraveller said:

Curious as to why "useful"? I tend to look ahead, through the windscreen, when driving. I know where the pedals, gear lever and handbrake are without needing illumination at night.

So my wife could find all the crud that falls out of her handbag.

My Mercedes had ambient background lighting, usual yellow light, and you could vary the intensity.  Too bright was certainly distracting but otherwise is worked well.

• Haha 7

Footwell light is genuinely useful and ambient lighting is 'nice'. However, unless it's factory installed / option, I would not bother. You really want it to be just right, not too bright, not flicker, adjust the colour, and fully automatic. For this to work, it needs to be connected so you can adjust it from the onboard screen, automatically adjust to lighting conditions, sync with interior ceiling lights, instrument lighting and so on. Maybe I show my age, and maybe if you are young, like programming, have plenty of time on your hands, and up for a good challenge. I'm afraid I've passed that stage, it should just work and look good... now, where are my slippers? 

• Like 11

It’s worth remembering that those of you paupers  (I was one until the Cross came) the wires for the ambient lighting is there in the cubby holes, doors and the footwell.  It’ll cost you a few bob but it’s doable.  Kingo will post them to you.  There was one fella moaning because they were too bright, well get a flippin marker and blank a bit out 🙄

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, anchorman said:

It’s worth remembering that those of you paupers  (I was one until the Cross came) the wires for the ambient lighting is there in the cubby holes, doors and the footwell.  It’ll cost you a few bob but it’s doable.  Kingo will post them to you.  There was one fella moaning because they were too bright, well get a flippin marker and blank a bit out 🙄

I've had to do this with my outside light.  I stupidly bought the brightest, biggest led one I could find and it lit up the entire street.  I've had to use duck tape to mask half of it off.

• Haha 3

Showed this to my lads and they said it looked cool and asked why I haven't got them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I did this to my 2018 Avensis! I breifly had a new Mercedes CLA Premium 220 in 2021 which had a full setup of ambient lights from factory with every control and integration under the sun!!!! It was such a cool "party trick" though not useful as such, more of a, "spending over 30k on a car you better !Removed! have silly features to make me feel good about my purchase!"

I did my best to make a guide on how I did this in amateur terms and for a UK specific Toyota model, not much online, it's all rancid VAG cars and boy racer favs that the YouTubers are showing you how to fit these on, and they deliberately don't show the full process so that you'll comment and ask, and be told to take it to them to pay them to do it for you. 

The kit was like £55 reduced on AliExpress, but it wasn't without issue. Sometimes the strips pop out, I can't glue them in as they've had issues with dull spots or wrong colours or darker / brighter shade, in reality it's not close to the factory quality of the Merc application and any other car with them built in. It's about as prominent (except for the air vents) as the CLA, but I'd argue the CLA is over the top and even Mercedes know it as newer more high end models have it less 'in your face'.  

I'm talking a lot about the factory job vs mine as in picture and demo it might look as cool or good, but in reality, they probably are why I had to replace my Battery last weekend on a 4 year old car, they pop out, they fail and need replaced every so often, they made a bad whine sound when wired in a little too close to the speaker for a while and at night, they can be too bright - the Mercedes would dim these down at night when the headlights came on. It'd also do things like change by drive mode etc, the real deal really. 

All of these DIY jobs are fun to do, but a lot of effort and stress each time there's a set back. They don't have the grace, peace of mind and I doubt long term reliability of factory options. I did heated seats in my DS3 and I nearly did them on my Avensis, but on the DS3 they wouldn't automatically switch off (so if a passenger left it on and I forgot, it'd flatten the battery) and god knows maybe be a fire hazard.. so it's by no means quite as good.  

But if you have a more basic car / love your car for other reasons and don't want to spend big bucks it can be a fun thing to do. I expect that in a few years I'll maybe be pulling these out of the car either due to failure or just faded quality that drags down the atmosphere. 

If anybody here does decide to do it, happy to advise on parts to order and how to do it 🙂 

• Like 3

On reflection and giving it a second look, as the red colour matches my eyes.

• Haha 2

That's a GR Sport in the pics. They already have blue ambient lighting and I do like it, especially as the interior is predominantly black. It's a bit more subtle than that bright red which is too much for me but each to their own. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Jimota said:

On reflection and giving it a second look, as the red colour matches my eyes.

Lack of sleep, or actually a vampire? :eek:  :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links