Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

IQ 2009 1.0 cvt low rpm at mild throttle

Molex

What is your rpm at mild throttle in constant speed in 20-30mph? 

My car is aiming for 1200 rpm to save fuel. Is that to low? I have mild vibrations but car runs good. When I put lever in S its butter smooth and reach about 2000rpm. 

Please tell if you car does the same and trying to reach 1200rpm. 

Dont forget to tell your engine and what gearbox. 

CVT's are very different to a manual, RPM is not related to MPH, as the name suggest the CVT is a Constantly Variable Transmission, throttle position is dependent on the road and conditions to maintain speed, build up speed and back off the throttle to the point you can maintain speed

The 1.0 1KR is not that refined being a 3 cylinder they like to be revved they dont make much torque low down

• Like 3

For a CVT it sounds fairly normal behaviour; My Yaris has a different kind of CVT, but it likes to be around 2000rpm and if I'm just cruising I can be doing 20mph and it'll be at 2000rpm or 70mph and it'll still be at 2000rpm :laugh: 

It's only when I push the loud pedal to ask for more acceleration when it will rev up higher. :naughty: 

1200rpm sounds about right - If I was driving a manual it'd be a little low for my taste, but Toyota tune their CVTs for economy, and it shouldn't be in any danger of e.g. stalling - the CVT can 'change gear' very rapidly to avoid that.

Just be glad your 3-pot has a balance shaft to keep it smooth! They didn't think they needed one in the Mk4 Yaris hybrid, and they were right 90% of the time... but the other 10% of the time... :wacko:

• Like 1

The cvt in the IQ is more of a traditional CVT with a push belt and torque convertor, usually they need a few more RPM to build fluid pressure

• Like 3

I just wonder if my cvt trying to reach to low rpm or its normal. If its normal I have to service the engine or of its not normal I have a look att the cvt box. 

• Like 2

Someone here must own a car like mine and try with a fully warmed up engine and se what rpm you see when cruising in 30mph constant speed. 

There are so many variables including tyre pressure, road conditions, temperature and elevation, it sounds like a normal CVT to me

also fuel quality maybe an issue

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links