Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake caliper paint?

RHYSF00

Hi all. So 1st i know this idnt for brakes but brakes are part of wheels. 

Anyway is it good idea to protect the brake caliper like it is with chassis. If it is then what colour would be best suited. Am posting image of my car. Ignore car cleaning was 20230130_131242.thumb.jpg.697fdeda8a1a113feac926e3a24a03b5.jpg as a promo image. 20230130_131242.thumb.jpg.697fdeda8a1a113feac926e3a24a03b5.jpg

Painting the callipers is more for looks than any preserving reason. They are hefty enough that corrosion would never really affect their integrity per se. The only problem would be corrosion around the slider pins and the main piston. But you would not really paint these areas in thick paint anyway as it would impede movement. To prolong the life of your callipers, give them an annual exercise; press in the piston and make sure the calliper slides freely back and forth. You can also take them off and check for any water ingress  and rust on the sliders. This is how it often starts. Lack of use, and movement also contribute. Disclaimer; - brakes are important. Only work on them if you know what you are doing.

If you want to paint them, you can use any calliper paint to do it yourself. It's just a question how much work you want to put in to it. Or you can hand them in to have them done professionally with powder coat. Alternatively, you can buy factory refurbished ones that look like new for not that much money.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, APS said:

Painting the callipers is more for looks than any preserving reason. They are hefty enough that corrosion would never really affect their integrity per se. The only problem would be corrosion around the slider pins and the main piston. But you would not really paint these areas in thick paint anyway as it would impede movement. To prolong the life of your callipers, give them an annual exercise; press in the piston and make sure the calliper slides freely back and forth. You can also take them off and check for any water ingress  and rust on the sliders. This is how it often starts. Lack of use, and movement also contribute. Disclaimer; - brakes are important. Only work on them if you know what you are doing.

If you want to paint them, you can use any calliper paint to do it yourself. It's just a question how much work you want to put in to it. Or you can hand them in to have them done professionally with powder coat. Alternatively, you can buy factory refurbished ones that look like new for not that much money.  

i have done my front brakes and fixed abs issues as garage wasnt doing anything and i almost ended in back of a lorry. 
just to clairfy whar you mean by sliders?

1 hour ago, RHYSF00 said:

just to clairfy whar you mean by sliders?

As Stephen shared above - it's the bolt/pin that you loosen to remove the calliper. The calliper slides on these when you brake and the piston moves in order to clamp the disc. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links