Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EV Vehicle sales slump to 13% of new car registrations

lightboxcar

Moved to General Discussions

On one hand, January seems to be a slow month anyway. On the other, what to expect, increasing prices of electric supply make BEV cost per mile levelling with ICE. With my latest calculations, I would only save approx. £500 per year!. I tried to get twin tariff, but is not available for me, and I'm not sure if this will be any good. To top it up, slow improvement on the charging network is not helping.

It's not really a slump; It just looks like that because of the December EV-skew we talked about in another thread (Manufacturers bulk up EV sales to lower their fleet-average CO2 rating to avoid getting fined for missing their CO2 targets, which is why EV sales mysteriously skyrocket in December :laugh: )

It amuses me when EVangelists get so excited and declare the death of non-EVs every year due to that happening and then go quiet come January when the sales figures drop back to their 'real' level. You'd think they would have noticed the pattern by now...

Realistically it's going to be a long painful transition due to the twin problems of awful charging network and worse utility of EVs. If they can get the average worst-case range up to 300-400 miles in a vehicle that isn't the size of a small bus, as most are currently, then we'll see the transition accelerate, but I feel like we're a long way off from that unless someone gets these new magical Battery chemistries they keep touting actually to market, instead of just telling us how great they are and how they'll kill off ICE in the next few years perpetually.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Cyker said:

new magical battery

They are claiming 500 miles batteries is just around corner, and even 1000 miles soon after that.

But as you say, seems they have been saying that for a long time....

https://www.greencars.com/greencars-101/the-future-of-ev-batteries

• Like 2

Indeed. This must be some 7th dimensional non-euclidean corner given how many times we've gone round it now :laugh: 

It's quite irritating as they keep hyping up stuff but continually fail to deliver which has made me increasingly skeptical of any new claims as they sound more and more like pitches for venture capital than actual progress.

As much as I want an EV, it has to have utility equal or better than what I already have, but I feel we're a long way off from that...!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links