Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima Jerks Once Warmed Up

AKH-

Hi,

i have a Toyota Estima 2012 2.4 Facelift Non-Hybrid. Once its warmed up after half an hour of driving, once you come to a stop in slow moving traffic as soon as you let go of brake pedal there is a slight thump. It doesn’t do it every single time though.

i have had CVT Fluid replaced with genuine Toyota CVT TC fluid together with the filter and gasket. Approximately 5 Litres came out; i wanted the garage to drain the fluid again after new one was put in and car driven around for 10 mins as the capacity is 8.7L but they seemed to think that was not necessary.

It drives fine other than that and engages reverse etc all good.

Clean and service the rear brakes and handbrake shoes, they always get overlooked

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Clean and service the rear brakes and handbrake shoes, they always get overlooked

Hi thanks for reply; mileage is 52k miles and its genuine as done the Car Vx report from Japan. The old oil that came out wasn't too bad; was dark in colour and the magnets had fillings on them which seemed normal according to the mechanic? He felt the fluid wasn't extremely bad. 

I have had the rear brake pads replaced last year; interesting thought, but i feel since the fluid has been done its doing it less now? Could it be a selenoid in the gearbox that was sticking or something? I bought the Estima for reliability as its a Toyota; but now its stressing me out nearly a year into ownership! lol

You had the pads done, they wouldn't have had the disks off and checked the shoes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 7:11 PM, flash22 said:

You had the pads done, they wouldn't have had the disks off and checked the shoes

Apologies for the late reply. Yes thats true but to be honest when you drive it from cold for the first say 5 miles it wont do it; you stop go to the shops come back drive another five miles it mostly wont now since the gearbox oil change. 

However today i noticed it i was in bad heavy london peak traffic and it obviously was properly warmed up; it started doing it again... The garage that done the gearbox oil i spoke to them about it when they were draining the old oil; he felt its the torque converter? Its 50,000miles (Genuine) so i am surprised and it is really clean inside out so doesn't seem the abused type.

You need to pinpoint the sound, can you get a video of the sound ??, sitting in traffic are you leaving it in gear and holding it on the brake ?

12 minutes ago, flash22 said:

You need to pinpoint the sound, can you get a video of the sound ??, sitting in traffic are you leaving it in gear and holding it on the brake ?

I will try to make a video; its not a sound its more of a jerkkk/thump. So bascially say i am driving and i come to a stop hold on to the car with brake pedal with transmission in D and as soon as i let go of the brake pedal to move off you will feel a slight jerkkk/thump. It never willl do it when its cold; only once fully warmed up.

Still thinking brakes, a pad or caliper hanging up, when the last time it had a fast motorway run and got the brakes nice and warm

• Like 1

Hmm; probaby two months ago on the motorway.. Would it be worth taking apart front and rear brake pads; checking the slider pins and also winding the caliper piston back to see if it goes smoothly? from memory all was fine when front and rear pads were done. Also the brake shoes on the rear have not been checked since Japan?

So in theory what your saying it once it gets warm; whatever it is it sticks holds one of the wheels back and lets go later than it should which causes the slight thump

You might be hearing the sound from callipers sticking when changing direction ie reverse braking to then forward driving & braking.

Pads sticking and then banging into caliper guides.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, AKH- said:

Hmm; probaby two months ago on the motorway.. Would it be worth taking apart front and rear brake pads; checking the slider pins and also winding the caliper piston back to see if it goes smoothly? from memory all was fine when front and rear pads were done. Also the brake shoes on the rear have not been checked since Japan?

So in theory what your saying it once it gets warm; whatever it is it sticks holds one of the wheels back and lets go later than it should which causes the slight thump

sorry only just seen this

yes, the parking brakes are prone to hanging up, especially if not used a lot

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be dirty throttle body or needing new spark plugs?

• 1 year later...

Hi Alex, did you sorted the problem? Mine 2015 estima has the same issue now. ***** sometimes after warm up. Stop idle around 550 RMP at D shift. 

Mine used to do this until I had the CVT oil changed. Then it was fine. I have been told it's a problem with the solenoids in the gearbox and the easiest cure is a reconditioned box at about £1200. As mine is ok for now I'll leave it.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links