Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota yaris 1.8 sr mild restoration begins

dankernow

Thought I'd share some insight into the beginning of a light restoration of my yaris.

Freshening up the bodywork with the bonnet, bumpers, skirts and wing mirrors being repainted. Wheels refurbished. 

New genuine toyota headlights, rear lamp gaskets, all four brake back plates and fuel filler pipe being fitted.

All new discs and pads (febi bilstein and toyota pads) Kyb rear springs are the final parts being fitted at the moment. 

Future parts to be fitted will be all new suspension components, exhaust, brake hoses, engine cover and various bolts (genuine toyota). 

Any comments will be appreciated and welcomed.

20230225_095232.jpg

20230225_101624.jpg

• Like 2

Nice.

I recommed an engine undertray if you don't already have one.  Uk Yarises didn't get one which is weird.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Nice.

I recommed an engine undertray if you don't already have one.  Uk Yarises didn't get one which is weird.

Yugguy1970 why didn't the UK get one? Would this be available from toyota? The underside of mine is very clean. Should have taken some pictures before the garage does the waxoyl next week.

45 minutes ago, dankernow said:

Yugguy1970 why didn't the UK get one? Would this be available from toyota? The underside of mine is very clean. Should have taken some pictures before the garage does the waxoyl next week.

Dunno l ended up getting a used one off eBay from Romania of all places.

• Like 3

That's odd, my Mk1 an Mk2 Yarisusesiesueses both had engine undertrays...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

20210522_191800.thumb.jpg.259bc97a5e3db6705b9d7b2207b85754.jpg

• Like 1

That's a picture of my other 1.8 sr. If you can zoom in there is no front under tray! Same with the black one!

Is this a Japanese car few covers and interlays might be missing. I see the exhaust system looks similar to Auris 1.8, similar engine and therefore a cat plate to protect the catalytic converter might be a good idea. 👍

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cyker said:

We had a 2009 uk Yaris and it didn't have one, and a fluke stone hit an aircon pipe and basically ruined the entire system.

• Sad 1

May have been removed or damaged by the previous owner...?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dankernow said:

See if the garden would treat it with fluid film rather than waxoyl, the latter doesn't protect well and rust carries on underneath. Fluid film is a thin liquid based on lanolin and keeps creeping into seams and cavities. I've used it first time this last year and it seems impressive. Needs doing yearly to keep up protection 

1 minute ago, Saxmaniac said:

See if the garden would treat it with fluid film rather than waxoyl, the latter doesn't protect well and rust carries on underneath. Fluid film is a thin liquid based on lanolin and keeps creeping into seams and cavities. I've used it first time this last year and it seems impressive. Needs doing yearly to keep up protection 

It's funny you say that! I've used fluid film on my blue yaris 1.8 sr for 4 years. It is very good protection and is my preference. Waxoyl was recommended by the garage doing the work. I agreed to them using Waxoyl because they are very good at what they do and are looking after me.

I will be applying fluid film to all the cavities, doors etc in the summer. Only down side for me is how messy it is. It does weep out of the doors when the weather is hot. Also I'm replacing all the suspension components, knuckles, powder coating subframes etc 

There's always been a debate with using Waxoyl. Thought I'd give it a go and see what it's like after 12 months.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Is this a Japanese car few covers and interlays might be missing. I see the exhaust system looks similar to Auris 1.8, similar engine and therefore a cat plate to protect the catalytic converter might be a good idea. 👍

This yaris was made in Japan and sold by toyota UK. Other yaris of this shape I believe were made in France. 

• Like 2

1.8 SR and mk1 t sports are all jap built they can be a mare for parts esp brakes, the 1.3 SR is French built

edit. part numbers

51441-52250 and 51441-52110 plus the pins and bolts

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some great work going on there - do post up more photos

• Like 3

1 hour ago, corradovr6 said:

Some great work going on there - do post up more photos

Thanks. Hopefully it's ready for me to pick up Saturday morning.

It was in for some paint work, both bumpers, bonnet, side skirts and one mirror cover. Also some blending in of the front wings so the new paint didn't stand out too much.

Wheels have been refurbished, new genuine headlights, rear light gaskets and rear springs. 

I'm replacing most of the suspension components, braking, hoses, nuts and bolts etc with all genuine toyota parts, plenty of £££

Parts already collected/ordered

Rear exhaust back box

4 x brake backing plates

4x rear brake hoses

Rear shocks, bushings  etc

Fuel filler pipe 

Front struts

New gear knob 

Rubber high boarder mats

Nearside fr and rear door weather strips

Nearside wing mirror , drivers wiper arm.

It's not making financial sense, but it's something I've always wanted to do. These parts don't even need replacing, just randomly going through all the parts and ordering them as and when I can.

I will keep uploading photos of this project, but I'm trying to get all the parts together and get them fitted at the same time. Struts, bushings, knuckles  links, brakes etc.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Quick update on my restoration of my yaris. The car had an head gasket failure, so genuine toyota parts were used to fix it. It's running lovely again with 106500 miles.

Roof and boot hinges area were resprayed 3 weeks ago. 

Started to spray some new genuine toyota parts for extra protection this morning. 

Finally some dry weather. 

Thanks 20230513_101746.thumb.jpg.a97a79529f1ac33a430b6f6cd1811812.jpg

• Like 2

Nice car and good job done. It will be a head turner when ready 👌👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I'm going to be spending far too much on this. Makes me happy because it's something I've always wanted to have done.

It's going to be a long road, but I'm in no rush. Genuine parts are expensive but it's going to be worth it. 

The underside is next, new fuel, brake lines, suspension, brakes etc. Possibly sub frames etc. 

So shinyyyyyy... :drool:

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links